Notices

Old 02-18-2018, 03:05 PM   #1
Rojofo
Zealot
Rojofo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Non-corrupt epub ??

Hi to all,

As I explained in another post, I converted a Pdf document into an Epub using Calibre and this created a "corrupt" file that apparently set up a boot loop on my Kobo, something like the Sickel issues of some years ago.

I would welcome any pointers to help me "clean up" this epub file. I know nothing about this type of format so any help with using Calibre for this would be helpful.

Thank you,
Rojofo.
Rojofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:22 PM   #2
Namenlos
Enthusiast
Namenlos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Despite what anyone says Calibre is quite a bad tool for letting it touch any of your files. It is on par with html files generated with Word 2003 imo.

Use Sigil and the Flightcheck plugin to check and repair the files step by step. It is not an easy task and will probably require some html knowledge.
Namenlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2018, 03:09 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namenlos View Post
Despite what anyone says Calibre is quite a bad tool for letting it touch any of your files. It is on par with html files generated with Word 2003 imo.

Use Sigil and the Flightcheck plugin to check and repair the files step by step. It is not an easy task and will probably require some html knowledge.
Personally, I find calibre does a decent job of converting most formats. However, pdf is one of the worst format to convert from since it is page oriented and normal epubs are reflowable.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:00 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namenlos View Post

I'm with DNSB on this. The calibre editor does an excellent job.

If what you mean is that the calibre conversion does bad things, I both agree and disagree. I avoid it for changes to an epub, but if I am converting from any other format, it is the best choice I know of. If you can recommend a better tool for converting a PDF file to an epub, then please do. And be cautious about recommending a web-based tool. A large number of them use calibre as the conversion engine.

@Rojofo: There isn't really enough information to help. Your other thread does suggest this is a sickel initiated reboot. But, I'm surprised that a PDF conversion would do this with the timing you mentioned. It sounds like it is while generating the cover image to be displayed on the home screen. For an epub, this is done by rendering the first page. And that is probably really rendering the first file in the epub. Unless this is very large, I wouldn't expect it to cause a problem. The fix might be as simple as adding a separate cover page. Or it might be in the conversion options to get it to generate smaller internal files.

As with a lot of these sort of problems, we really need to see the book. If this is freely available somewhere, then post a link. If it can't be posted, then send me a PM with link to a private storage and I'll have a look.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub file