View Poll Results: What do you prefer?
Justified (centre) 67 45.89%
Left aligned (ragged right) 63 43.15%
Does not matter 16 10.96%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-2016, 02:00 AM   #76
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
What she meant is that the font size is too large for the width of that screen; there aren't enough characters on one line. The font size would be fine if the screen was 3 times as wide.
I'll add "for me" and "imo" to every sentence the next time, as it's apparently not clear that if I say "I think", that I don't mean "it is", but that it's my personal opinion.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:32 AM   #77
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I chose justified because it looks more "book-y". The Left aligned looks more like someone got to the end of the line on the typewriter and didn't know what to do next.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:38 AM   #78
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I think you mean to say "the text just looks better and is easier to read" FOR YOU. It doesn't look better to me, because I read with a large font at times.

Say it with me..."not everyone prefers their books to be fully justified...and that's OK"

Come on...do it for the children!

Shari
I assumed that because he typed it, it was his opinion.

I remember about ten years ago, typing the "IMO" acronym after every comma, phrase, and end of sentence to make a point to a person who kept after me for not acknowledging that it was just my opinion every post, and he eventually figured it out

JMHO of course, YMMV
Old 12-28-2016, 12:41 PM   #79
arjaybe
Guru
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I agree with spindlegirl, but that's probably just me, eh?
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:22 PM   #80
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I'll add "for me" and "imo" to every sentence the next time, as it's apparently not clear that if I say "I think", that I don't mean "it is", but that it's my personal opinion.
When you said "I think the font is way too large for the screen", I didn't realize you meant "for me". I just read it as a declarative sentence meant for all. Maybe I've been reading too many of Jon's posts?
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:24 PM   #81
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I assumed that because he typed it, it was his opinion.

I remember about ten years ago, typing the "IMO" acronym after every comma, phrase, and end of sentence to make a point to a person who kept after me for not acknowledging that it was just my opinion every post, and he eventually figured it out

JMHO of course, YMMV
Have you read many of his posts? He normally means for everyone, not just him.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:34 AM   #82
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
When you said "I think the font is way too large for the screen", I didn't realize you meant "for me". I just read it as a declarative sentence meant for all. Maybe I've been reading too many of Jon's posts?
I'll never presume what I think is the best way to read, will be the best way for everybody (though, naturally it is! )
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:07 AM   #83
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
... Chapter text is justified, end notes etc are left aligned, book and chapter titles are centered.
^All of this
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:14 AM   #84
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I prefer full justified unless there are noticeable rivers, then I prefer left aligned. That means that with long line width I will always prefer full justified, and with short line width I will always prefer left justified.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 05:48 PM   #85
spindlegirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Have you read many of his posts? He normally means for everyone, not just him.
Whenever I read a post in a discussion forum, I always assume that all opinions held are that of the author unless told otherwise.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:50 PM   #86
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Would anyone here with a Kobo Reader who prefers left justification please install the following hyphenation dictionary and try full justification again and post in this thread on your opinion after trying out full justification with a better hyphenation dictionary? Thanks.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=252405
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:45 AM   #87
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Would anyone here with a Kobo Reader who prefers left justification please install the following hyphenation dictionary and try full justification again and post in this thread on your opinion after trying out full justification with a better hyphenation dictionary? Thanks.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=252405
I installed it, and am giving it a try.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:05 AM   #88
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I installed it, and am giving it a try.

Shari
Thanks! How is full justify with hyphenation working out for you so far?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:35 PM   #89
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Personally I prefer justified, as is found in most books, but am not fussed by such trivialities if it is not easily corrected.

I started reading ebooks in earnest way back on PDAs, which have, of course, LCD displays. Although these had screens significantly smaller than a 6 inch reader, I never really experienced much odd spacing of words on lines due to justification.

When I later got an E ink display reader one of the first things I noticed was that due to the poor contrast of E ink displays I tended to use a bigger font than I did on the PDAs. That resulted in odd spacing on lines being more common than it ever was on the smaller PDAs.

Over time I gave up on E ink (even though I continue to review current models along the way) and went back to LCD display tablets which for many reasons suit my own needs best. Currently, I usually use a 10.1 inch tablet reading in 2 columns, so like a book laid out open, each column (i.e. half the display) is about the same size as a Kobo Aura H2O as a comparison. The font size I can use is now considerably smaller than I can comfortably use on E ink readers due to the much superior contrast of the tablet's LCD display and I very rarely get any odd spaced lines.

In fact the only times I can remember is very, very infrequently when an inconveniently placed very long word (typically some long German word in amongst English text) gets flipped to the next line. Once in a blue moon type stuff.

And yes, for the sake of good order, I know that 10.1 tablets are far too big (but, of course one can get smaller ones if desired), and some find that for physical reasons low contrast displays are more comfortable for disabled eyes, and that some think E ink is the saviour of all good men and woman who read, etc., etc. So I don't need to be reminded of any of that by the fan-children of other device and display types, I know already that my own preferences are deplorable . I am rather just relating my own experience as to the effect of different device and display types on font size used and observations as to the effect (the observations I have also seen as being the experience of others too).
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:40 PM   #90
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I agree with regard to tablets. If I could get a 10.1 inch tablet that has a battery power for a week and can be read in full sunlight, I'd go for it immediately.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote