Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 04-10-2015, 12:01 PM   #1
vltreude
vltreude began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Problem embedding TTF font in epub

I'm using Calibre to convert my new novel from a DOCX file into an e-book. I'm a big fan of special fonts, so I'm trying to embed two free downloaded TTF's into the book. I go into "Manage Fonts" and select "embed all fonts." It finds Times New Roman (99% of the text), of course and also a quirky steampunk font called "Time to get a Watch" which I'm using for scene dividers. What it doesn't find is my chapter heading font, Goudy Bookletter 1911. (Its old-timey look goes well with the steampunk theme.) When I reselect Goudy, Calibre says the font "is on my computer" but it can't embed it. I'm on Ubuntu Trusty Tahr.

One complication is that the Goudy font was originally an OTF, which I figured was why Calibre couldn't see it. I used an online font-conversion tool to make it into a TTF, and I copied the TTF to /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts, but still no joy. Any suggestions? Thanks!
vltreude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:04 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can explicitly add a font to calibre from an otf file by (in the main calibre program) going to Preferences->Common Options->Look & Feel->Choose font family->Add fonts

Then restart the editor and the font should be available to calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:55 PM   #3
vltreude

Problem embedding TTF font in epub

Thanks, Kovid for your very quick response.
I updated to 2.24, then followed your instructions. Calibre was able to make Goudy Bookletter 1911 my editor font, but the converter still can't embed that font:

Failed to find font matching: family: Goudy Bookletter 1911; weight: 700; style: normal; stretch: normal

Part of the confusion may be that I have 2 versions of Goudy on my system now, one of which is marked as Truetype (the converted version I referred to earlier.) But when I selected the editor font in Calibre, it showed several different versions of Goudy, two of which had spaces in the font name, and the rest did not. I suspect that Calibre displays a standard list of fonts, some of which I haven't installed. I will try selecting different fonts (just ending my lunch break, so it will have to wait a while) but if none of these work, is it possible I may need to install a different Goudy font?
Old 04-10-2015, 05:24 PM   #4
readx
Connoisseur
readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vltreude View Post
Part of the confusion may be that I have 2 versions of Goudy on my system now, one of which is marked as Truetype (the converted version I referred to earlier.) But when I selected the editor font in Calibre, it showed several different versions of Goudy, two of which had spaces in the font name, and the rest did not. I suspect that Calibre displays a standard list of fonts, some of which I haven't installed. I will try selecting different fonts (just ending my lunch break, so it will have to wait a while) but if none of these work, is it possible I may need to install a different Goudy font?
That's not the the problem you have
You use the bold weight in your book for a Goudy font that is not available with a bold wight.
  • normal - the default standard font weight, it corresponds to 400 weight.
  • bold - The standard bold weight of a font face, corresponding to 700 weight.

btw: you can get the .ttf for the regular weight from http://www.google.com/fonts#UsePlace...ookletter+1911
readx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:43 AM   #5
vltreude

Thanks, readx. Can't find a bold version of Goudy 1911 anywhere, guess I'm out of luck. Do programs like Word do something in the software to create the illusion that they have a bold version?
Old 04-16-2015, 11:58 AM   #6
nqk
Fanatic
nqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf
You can look for fonts that look like bold, italic and bold italic. However, you will have to embed them manually.
nqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:21 PM   #7
readx
Connoisseur
readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vltreude View Post
Thanks, readx. Can't find a bold version of Goudy 1911 anywhere, guess I'm out of luck. Do programs like Word do something in the software to create the illusion that they have a bold version?
Yes, it's called faux- or fake-bold and it is also true for non existing italic typefaces.
But I couldn't find the reference, sorry
readx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, converter, ebook, embed, fonts