Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 07-25-2007, 04:53 AM   #1
gczobel
Enthusiast
gczobel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, Kindle DXG
Make problem with Book Designer 5.0

Hi!
I think that it's a simple problem but I don't found any documentation about the program.
I made a simple text (2 lines) and when I press the make button to make a "Sony Reader (lrf)" I receive the error
"Failed to make Sony Reader file"

I made the installation based on the wiki guide. First the setup and after the setup, overwrite the install directory with the content of the zip file.

I missing something?

Thanks in advance!
gczobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:05 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What operating system are you using? Is it Vista or XP?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2007, 08:32 AM   #3
gczobel
Enthusiast

Windows XP with SP2.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:37 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm running XP Pro and I don't have that problem.

When you try to make a Sony Reader book, does the requester pop up? is the path correct? Have you tried reinstalling and updating again? Are you logged into your XP with enough permission?
Old 07-25-2007, 02:57 PM   #5
gczobel
Enthusiast

I have adminstrator rights in the computer. And I tried the same in two differents computers. At work and at home.
I made the following:
Click in the "Make eBooks" menu
Click in "Sony Reader (lrf)"
a window appears with title "Make Sony Reader file". I click the "make" button in the "e-book" box.
The windows close and I see some process in the status bar of the main window.
A new window appears with an ok button and the text "failed to make Sony Reader file" and in the status bar is wrote "...converting lrs to lrf..., wait, please..."
When I press the OK button returns to the "Make Sony Reader file" window.
I obtain exactly the same behaviour in two different computers, with different input text.

Thanks for your help!
Advert
Old 07-25-2007, 04:02 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

What software are you running on your computer at startup? Maybe something you are running is interfeering. Do you have some sort of anti-spyware such as Norton?

Try disabling EVERYTHING you run on startup. See if that helps.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:14 PM   #7
gingercat
Connoisseur
gingercat began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iliad
I have the same problem - has anyone come across a solution to this?
gingercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:50 PM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Where are you creating the file? If the destination directory does not exist or you have set it to read only it may fail.

I have never encountered this problem under XP Pro, XP Home, or XP MCE.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 02:00 AM   #9
gingercat
Connoisseur

I think I have solved the problem. It has something to do with the version 5 upgrade. I re-upgraded with one of the beta updates (30/5/2007) and its now working fine
Old 07-28-2007, 08:06 AM   #10
gczobel
Enthusiast

I tried all. I disabled all.
The destination directory exists.
Where I can dowload this old version to test?

Thanks
Old 07-28-2007, 05:03 PM   #11
Mogens
Mogens began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500/PRS505/Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercat View Post
I think I have solved the problem. It has something to do with the version 5 upgrade. I re-upgraded with one of the beta updates (30/5/2007) and its now working fine
I have had the same problem using XP +Sp 2. Gingercats solution works for me too. Thank you so much.

Mogens
Mogens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 04:53 PM   #12
gczobel
Enthusiast

I found the version in the wiki. I confirm that the version 30/5/07 work ok.
(At least I don't receive the error message!)

Thanks to all the people for the help!
Old 08-02-2007, 10:47 PM   #13
gingercat
Connoisseur

the version 30/05/2007 fixes the make problem but now Search and replace cuases it to crash - anyone else had this new problem and found a solution to it?
Old 08-02-2007, 11:41 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercat View Post
the version 30/05/2007 fixes the make problem but now Search and replace cuases it to crash - anyone else had this new problem and found a solution to it?
Try a full uninstall and then a reinstall followed by the upgrade. And then add the Book Cleaner files and use those as well. Set your language to German. And then fix all the other options. See how that goes.

If you have Vista, do not install in program files. if you have XP, program files is ok.

I can't say this will fix things, but it cannot hurt totry. Search/Repleace works fine for me with the latest version.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:02 PM   #15
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
I've installed the basic install, and then the "production" update. I discovered I have this make problem, and so installed the 5/30 version. Now when I click the little Sony Icon I get "Book Designer has a problem and needs to quit, wanna tell Microsoft." How can I tell if this installation works. I'm using WinXP sp2.
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote