Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-26-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
How can we import files to iPad?

Sorry if I'm making a newbie question, but... Since the iPad won't have USB nor memory card slot, how can we upload our files into iPad? Let's say I have a 1GB video, or I want to upload all my ebook colection... How would I do it?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
Wickedkitten
Wickedkitten began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
You add epubs through itunes
Wickedkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2010, 09:15 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Sorry if I'm making a newbie question, but... Since the iPad won't have USB nor memory card slot, how can we upload our files into iPad? Let's say I have a 1GB video, or I want to upload all my ebook collection... How would I do it?
Someone here looked at the SDK documentation. The iPad actually has shared flash storage, and it should be possible to simply copy files over USB (iTunes not required).
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:27 PM   #4
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Sorry if I'm making a newbie question, but... Since the iPad won't have USB nor memory card slot, how can we upload our files into iPad? Let's say I have a 1GB video, or I want to upload all my ebook colection... How would I do it?
It's not out yet but if it's similar to the iPhone, you would use iTunes to sync books and video.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:32 AM   #5
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
That synch is through wireless? Then how long would it take to upload a video file?

Nate, what do you mean USB? There's no plug for an USB cable, or am I mistaken?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2010, 07:35 AM   #6
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I'd like to see how that "camera kit" with SD slot will work. There's no way in hell I'd tether an iPad to the computers at work to trade documents around, and I'm not into cloud computing. Simple sneakernet would be plenty satisfactory.
Quote:
They have a USB charge/sync cable that plugs in to the 30-pin dock port.

Last edited by LDBoblo; 03-27-2010 at 07:41 AM.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:38 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
That synch is through wireless? Then how long would it take to upload a video file?

Does it not have a docking connector, like an iPod does?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:01 AM   #8
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:

Sync is done via an included cable. The cable has a dock connector on one end and USB on the other.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:14 AM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I plan to use the 1 TB Iomega Home Media Network plugged in my wifi network. It's been designed to be an iTunes repository. All my shared files will be on it in synch to be consulted by any and all my computing devices; and Apple TV .

Quote:
Easily share and access photos, videos and music throughout your home with the Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive.

* Features: 1TB capacity; 7200 RPM, SATA II HDD
* Three step set-up - simply plug into your router, power on, and install the software CD
* Access files from any networked Windows PC or Apple computer for easy file sharing
* Gigabit Ethernet connectivity combined with a high performance processor
* UPnP AV Media Server: Compatible with DLNA certified media players
* iTunes Server: Store your audio content in one central location and share it across your iTunes players
* Add storage capacity by connecting external USB Hard Disk Drives
* Touch-free professional-level backup with EMC Retrospect HD backup software
* Intelligent network print sharing capability for one USB printer directly attached to the HomeMedia drive
* With Remote Access*, connect to your pictures, videos, and files from anywhere in the world - First year of remote access is free.
* 3 year warranty with registration
* Mfr's #: 34337.

* Included in the Box: Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive
* Ethernet Cable
* External Power Supply
* Quick Install Guide
* One Iomega StorCenter Network Hard Drive Solutions CD
* EMC Retrospect Express Backup and Disaster Recovery
* Trend Micro Internet Security - 1 year Free via download.

System Requirements: PC: Pentium 300Mhz, Windows XP Home/Professional/x64/Vista, 256MB RAM or higher, 10/100/1000 Mbps network; Mac: Mac OS X 10.3x or higher, 128MB RAM or higher; CD or DVD drive to install software; DHCP-configured Network (recommended); Network hub, switch, or router (recommended).
This will allow my iPad with minimal memory to access any media file I wish. The iPad is a mobile device easily stolen. The less I store on it, the better.

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 03-27-2010 at 09:17 AM.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:06 AM   #10
Tamara
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
This will allow my iPad with minimal memory to access any media file I wish. The iPad is a mobile device easily stolen. The less I store on it, the better.
Unfortunately, a lot of people are going to do like folks already do with the iPhone and treat the iPad like a backup device rather than as a mobile device .
Old 03-27-2010, 11:25 AM   #11
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
The iPad will have a global folder in which applications can put files in and which can be accessed from a Mac or PC via USB and drag'n'drop. No iTunes needed (except for apps that depend on the iTunes library like iBooks). It remains to be seen if this will also be compatible with apps that rely on the iTunes library, though. iTunes on the Mac has a folder in which you can put music in to let it automatically add them to the library so maybe there will be such a feature on the iPad as well. But frankly, I wouldn't bet on it.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
Sync is done via an included cable. The cable has a dock connector on one end and USB on the other.
That's what I thought, which was why I was a little puzzled by Over saying that it didn't have USB support. Did you mean that it doesn't have USB host support, Over?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:56 PM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's what I thought, which was why I was a little puzzled by Over saying that it didn't have USB support. Did you mean that it doesn't have USB host support, Over?
No USB plug socket but a 30 pin one...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:44 PM   #14
securitybestbuy
securitybestbuy began at the beginning.

Device: none
How do I find that "global folder"? Thank you.

"The iPad will have a global folder in which applications can put files in and which can be accessed from a Mac or PC via USB and drag'n'drop."
securitybestbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:16 PM   #15
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
This is an old thread, before the iPad was released. Currently, most apps that let you read external files do it through a special section for each app, under Apps, in the menu that comes up when you sync.

No shared single file system on iPad.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote