Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-26-2010, 01:58 AM   #1
nimble
nimble began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
How long should a page turn take?

How long should it take to turn pages? It usually takes 2 or 3 seconds during normal reading, and usually longer with the first turn of a new book or when first fired up.

The memory is not particularly full, it has about 40 books loaded if that's relevant.

Thanks
nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:48 AM   #2
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
That sounds a bit slow, mine sometimes takes a while doing things, but page turns are ok, sorry can,t be more help,
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2010, 06:46 AM   #3
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
2-3 seconds sounds about normal for pdfs. That's what I have (text and graphics).
Book only will work a little faster (normally).
It's taking longer if the files are on external memory (SD-Card). I tried this once on my old 505. Moving the files from SD to internal memory sped up page turning time to approximately 50%.

I wouldn't worry about the 2-3 seconds unless you're in a rush reading your book ;-)
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:01 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
There are several reasons that page turn times can be slow. One is that the book is using special fonts. The second is that their are images on the pages. A third is segmentation. There are probably more.

Regarding segmentation, EPUB ebooks are split internally into segments. The ebook is really a ZIP archive, and segments are stored as individual files within the archive. Sometimes the segments are by chapter, sometimes by size, or sometimes as the publisher felt like.

My experience on my Sony 300 is that page turn time seems to depends on how far into the file segment I am. It starts at around 1 second. The further in, the longer it takes. If the segment is very long (some publishers don't segment at all), it can take several seconds. In one case I had it take up to 10.

You can test whether this is what you are seeing by noting whether the page turn time slows down as you progress through the book. When you cross a segment boundary, it will slow down once to open the segment (an extra second or two), then get faster, then start to slow down as you advance through the segment. This slowdown will be even more apparent when paging backwards.

My '10-second' book was in one segment. Around half way in, the page turn times because intolerable. Fortunately the book was DRM-free, so I could use Calibre to convert it from EPUB to EPUB. Calibre resegmented the book (and possibly did some other things) and the problem went away.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:16 PM   #5
nimble
nimble began at the beginning.

Hmm, interesting, I will keep an eye on where in the book I am. I had wondered if it was the type of book but so far it seems pretty similar regardless of whether calibre has converted it or not. I'm trying to avoid pdfs, and haven't been reading anything with pictures.
nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2010, 04:55 AM   #6
robkat
Connoisseur
robkat began at the beginning.

If you have pdf's and epub on the reader at same time it slows page turning down a lot, that is my experience.
robkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:48 AM   #7
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Now that sounds interesting. I have a couple of epubs, but mostly I have pdfs. I'll probably try a epub vs. pdf only for the files I have on my reader the next time I connect to my pc.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote