Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-01-2009, 12:31 PM   #16
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Thats a darn crappy review they link too.. :S
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:10 PM   #17
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See the press release from Elonex, which at least comes with some hi-res pictures. There isn't much new information, except perhaps:
Quote:
If you have problems with your sight you can change between 8 different font sizes until the text becomes clearer. You can also rotate the eBook into horizontal format if you find it easier to read longer line lengths.
Eight font sizes is a big improvement over the Sony PRS-505's 3 sizes.

Also the release is called "600eb.shtm". If this is actually a Netronix EB600, then it is using very old technology for a new release.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2009, 02:49 PM   #18
TomBolini
ebooks distributor
TomBolini doesn't litterTomBolini doesn't litter

Device: HP2710p iLiad Cybook Sony 505 Kindle DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear All:

It is a Netronix EB-600 (known as Astak Mentor Lite). We showed it to Borders at CES last year. Borders simply went straight to Netronix and ordered direct. You would expect Borders would have a wee bit more integrity than that but I guess not.

You might also expect that Netronix would have a bit of honesty also... but, alas, not.
Robert, nothing personal etc...

You might also expect you add some value to the product... without that, why not to buy directly by Netronix?

As you know the Cybook is again another Netronix hardware, but by Bookeen they put a great firmware in it, and it makes a difference!
TomBolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #19
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Only USA Borders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Did you show it to Borders UK as well as the US company? They're separate business units.

I think there is a certain amount of sense in the supplier being in the same country as the retailer.
Dear Nate:

You are likely right and make a valid point! Many thanks!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:16 PM   #20
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Add some value

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBolini View Post
Robert, nothing personal etc...

You might also expect you add some value to the product... without that, why not to buy directly by Netronix?

As you know the Cybook is again another Netronix hardware, but by Bookeen they put a great firmware in it, and it makes a difference!
Dear Tom:

Yes, I think you are right. For a retailer to go direct to a factory is not wise really. They are set up to run a retail store and not to negotiate with a factory or ride herd on a factory. They also do not speak Mandarin and we do. Hopefully Retailers do see a benefit there. Besides, we serve as the repair and inventory for Netronix in the USA. Retailers would need to hire a firm to do this without us.

You are wise!
Advert
Old 07-01-2009, 03:24 PM   #21
Robertb

Not so much improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
See the press release from Elonex, which at least comes with some hi-res pictures. There isn't much new information, except perhaps: Eight font sizes is a big improvement over the Sony PRS-505's 3 sizes.

Also the release is called "600eb.shtm". If this is actually a Netronix EB600, then it is using very old technology for a new release.
Dear Wallcraft:

We do sell the Mentor Lite (Netronix EB-600) and it does have 8 font size increases. You would think at first this would really be great. Our EZ Reader has only three Font Size increases. However, the Netronix needs a menu system to get at the 8 font sizes. The EZ Reader you just push the number 8 button. Both, I guess, have their own benefit but reality is that after you double the font size I do not see anyone wanting to triple it. You get too little on a page.

So... what sounds like a big improvement does not really work out as a biggie, sir, in my very humble opinion.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:36 PM   #22
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
The EZ Reader you just push the number 8 button. Both, I guess, have their own benefit but reality is that after you double the font size I do not see anyone wanting to triple it. You get too little on a page.

So... what sounds like a big improvement does not really work out as a biggie, sir, in my very humble opinion.
I have to believe that your assessment and opinion are based on the fact that you have normal vision. Someone with a vision disability might choose to disagree with you. Even if one does get fewer words on the page, the large font sizes can make the difference between using or being closed out of the device.

I think I'd like to have some options other than "double the font size". Whether that's in percentages or just increments isn't that much of a big deal. My Kindle has 6 font sizes. Just eyeballing the font-selection menu, it appears that font #6 is about 4x font #1 -- based on the height of the upper-case letters. As shipped, the default font size is #3. Font #1 is generally too small for me to be comfortable, even in the best of lighting, so I keep my Kindle set on #2. When I'm reading under reduced lighting, I'll increase the font size to #3 or #4.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:39 PM   #23
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Both, I guess, have their own benefit but reality is that after you double the font size I do not see anyone wanting to triple it. You get too little on a page.
There is a maximum practical font size, but it is much larger than on the EZ Reader (Hanlin V3). Also, "practical" depends on what your alternatives are. For those with poor eyesight, a few words per line may be "good enough" given that the alternative might be to not read at all. Landscape mode (longer lines) and automatic hyphenation also allow a larger font to be used.

On the EZ Reader, FB2 ebooks have 5 font sizes and the OpenInkPot firmware (using FBReader) has 8, see BeBook font sizes and types for scans of each. How many font sizes will the EZ Reader have under Adobe Digital Editions?

Even FBReader's largest font size on the EZ Reader isn't as large as it could be. For a really large font, see Things you can do with your iLiad. These are screenshots (copies of the screen bitmap) from an iLiad, which has an 8" EInk screen. You may need to click again on the images to get them ful-size and note that full size on a PC screen is likely to be much larger than on the iLiad.

Last edited by wallcraft; 07-01-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:40 PM   #24
catherine quirk
catherine quirk began at the beginning.

Device: None as yet
Can someone tell me if this Elonex reader is Mac compatible. I am such a numpty, I just don't understand all the technical details about this sort of technology. I love my Mac and thanks to all who told me that I would be able to use a Sony with the Mac but am wondering whether to hang on for Apple to come out with something specially for the Mac system. Any thoughts? - especially about this Elonex which Borders have just started to sell. Cath
catherine quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:43 PM   #25
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I cannopt find anything on Borders UK website.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:50 PM   #26
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by catherine quirk View Post
Can someone tell me if this Elonex reader is Mac compatible.
I have not seen anyone report on this from direct experience, but all the EInk readers (like the Elonex) that support Adobe Digital Editions will almost certainly be Mac compatible except the Sony PRS-505 and 700. What "compatible" means is that you can register the Elonex reader to your Adobe ID using Adobe Digital Editions on a Mac. Once you have the Elonex registered, you download Adobe PDF and ePub ebooks using ADE on your Mac and then copy them over to the Elonex via USB (it looks like a USB memory stick to your Mac). For ebooks without DRM (encryption) you can download them any way you want to your Mac and then again use USB to copy to your Elonex.

Note that with the Sony PRS-505, you need to use a Windows PC to register it on your Adobe ID but that is a one time operation and from then on it is just as Mac-compatible as the Elonex.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:51 PM   #27
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I cannopt find anything on Borders UK website.
I couldn't either. It is likely this is only sold in the stores and not available otherwise.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:56 AM   #28
Harry Flashman
Harry Flashman began at the beginning.

I popped in to Borders and had a play about with the Elonex Reader.

I'm a prs-505 owner and have to say even though it was lighter it felt so cheaply made that it would put me off owning one - it is nice to have something that feels solid in your hand.

The screen and software looked OK however as a previous poster stated the borders ebook store is pretty terrible in terms of choice and pricing - Sail by James Patterson (I know) was the only book in the current paperback top 10 that they carried and that was a whopping £18.99.
Harry Flashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #29
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Dear All:

It is a Netronix EB-600 (known as Astak Mentor Lite). We showed it to Borders at CES last year. Borders simply went straight to Netronix and ordered direct. You would expect Borders would have a wee bit more integrity than that but I guess not.
You might also expect that Netronix would have a bit of honesty also... but, alas, not.
Oh, I wouldn't expect integrity from any business in the financial shape Borders has been in.

It's a bummer when things like this happen, even so.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:18 PM   #30
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Dear Wallcraft:

We do sell the Mentor Lite (Netronix EB-600) and it does have 8 font size increases. You would think at first this would really be great. Our EZ Reader has only three Font Size increases. However, the Netronix needs a menu system to get at the 8 font sizes. The EZ Reader you just push the number 8 button. Both, I guess, have their own benefit but reality is that after you double the font size I do not see anyone wanting to triple it. You get too little on a page.

: waves at RobertB :

Hi there, I'm one of those who needs the largest font size possible. I use the LARGE on the Sony 505 and could still stand to go one higher.

My vision is not correctable to 20/20 and it's getting worse with cataracts.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote