Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 06-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
manifestor
Connoisseur
manifestor began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZreader, Aluratek Libre Pro
Which one should I trust?

I read from the bebook website that a 1GB SD card should be used for firmware update so I got myself one of these obsolete memory cards simply for this purpose (very hard to find one nowadays). But then I suddenly read from the Astak site that any card below 4GB can be used for firmware update. Well, which one should I trust? If 4GB cards can be used, I don't need to worry if I lose my 1GB card and can't find one anymore. Any idea?
manifestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I just tried it wih my 2gig SD and was able to install the firmware on my EZreader
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Oh, have you ever opened a can of worms. Officially the Hanlins, including all clones, require a 1GB(or less) card for updates. It has something to do with the bootloader only recognising the first 1GB of any card. This of course means that is you use a larger card that is empty and formatted then it should work. There is only one way to find out. Good luck.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I used the SD card that I use everyday for my ebooks and other docs. I have about 400megs in use. I was able to download the offical EZreader firmware from the end of Jan. and it replaced the lbook firmware that was on my EZreader with out any issues.

Update
I Just managed to install the Feb Bebook firmware. The SD card is the one that came with my EZreader and I got it in March and it has never been reformated. And it has over 400 megs of books and folders.

Last edited by cvkemp; 06-19-2009 at 03:58 PM.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:52 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
From OpenInkpot 0.2 Installation Guide:
Quote:
Use plain SD formatted with FAT16 - SDHC and MMC cards won't work, FAT32 too. Bootloader also isn't capable to address beyond 1Gb, so either use card <= 1Gb, or make sure whole file is in first 1Gb of card (e.g. by formatting it).
So, larger cards will probably work when new but might not work once they have been used enough to get over 1 GB.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2009, 04:33 PM   #6
manifestor
Connoisseur

Thank you so much for your information, you guys are great!
Old 06-19-2009, 04:34 PM   #7
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by manifestor View Post
I read from the bebook website that a 1GB SD card should be used for firmware update so I got myself one of these obsolete memory cards simply for this purpose (very hard to find one nowadays). But then I suddenly read from the Astak site that any card below 4GB can be used for firmware update. Well, which one should I trust? If 4GB cards can be used, I don't need to worry if I lose my 1GB card and can't find one anymore. Any idea?
You should never have a problem with a 1GB SD card, since all cards in that size supposedly meet the SD standard specification. There are cards in the 2 to 8GB range that fit the SD standards much more loosely in regards to their block size setup, and may not work. Some cards larger than 1GB *may* work as long as the entire V3UPDATE.BIN fits in the first 1GB, to stay inside the bootloaders addressing range. I usually use a freshly sdformatter formatted 2GB SD card to do firmware installations.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:00 AM   #8
manifestor
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
You should never have a problem with a 1GB SD card, since all cards in that size supposedly meet the SD standard specification. There are cards in the 2 to 8GB range that fit the SD standards much more loosely in regards to their block size setup, and may not work. Some cards larger than 1GB *may* work as long as the entire V3UPDATE.BIN fits in the first 1GB, to stay inside the bootloaders addressing range. I usually use a freshly sdformatter formatted 2GB SD card to do firmware installations.
Thank you so much.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:03 AM   #9
manifestor
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I just tried it wih my 2gig SD and was able to install the firmware on my EZreader
You're brave! I wouldn't dare do the same thing when I'm not certain, cuz any failure during firmware update could lead to big troubles.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:07 AM   #10
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by manifestor View Post
You're brave! I wouldn't dare do the same thing when I'm not certain, cuz any failure during firmware update could lead to big troubles.
It is certainly true that any failure during the firmware load will leave you with an unusable system, but it is also not really a disaster. The bootloader itself is never modified during a firmware upgrade, so it will still be there. You would need to find a useable SD and redo the install, but since the bootloader remains untouched it will still be available. Also, the bootloader itself will do an initial check to verify that it can read the entire V3UPDATE.BIN before it even will begin the firmware update. If the bootloader finds that the V3UPDATE.BIN file to be unusable the update stops before it even begins.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote