Notices

Old 07-29-2008, 12:55 PM   #1
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
So what about contrast and battery?

Hello there,

I have read battery life has increased. I have also read contrast is worse and better.

Can we shed some light into these important issues?
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:11 PM   #2
harrynewman
harrynewman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I have noticed no difference in either. Some say that PDF's are less gray though.
harrynewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2008, 04:40 PM   #3
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I wouldn't know about battery life because I try not to run modern batteries dry. It was fine before, it is fine now.
See http://www.batteryuniversity.com/ for some interesting facts on battery care.

I see no difference in contrast and/or "blackness" and I'm not interested enough to try and reload old firmware and see if there is an objective difference.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:43 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You cannot reload the old firmware as we don't have a flasher to flash it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:09 PM   #5
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Well this is by no means a scientific analysis, but I charged up the Reader before my weekend vacation and I read at least seven hours a day (on the beach--jealous??) and after four days, I am still on full bars.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2008, 07:22 PM   #6
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
i finally updated. no change in contrast as far as i can tell. battery life i have no personal idea, but on the korean forums a user said he got 5100 page turns back when he first bought it (i assume testing while changing pages over and over in one setting) and now got 5000 after the patch, way within a margin of error. This is including the clock from the universal flasher and such. so in his experience at least, no decrease in battery life. and the whole device is apparently much snappier on page turns for image files and menu. almost seems faster to me on regular book page turns, but could be wishful thinking. Either way, i am very happy i finally took the plunge.

other people on the korean forum are reporting what feels like an increase in battery life as well. although not as credible as the actual page turn test.

Last edited by seajewel; 07-29-2008 at 07:26 PM.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:50 PM   #7
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
Seems to me battery life is much improved, speed is better, and the device is much more pleasant to use. No change in contrast, as far as I can tell.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote