Notices

Old 11-19-2015, 12:18 AM   #46
JR77
JR77 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 7th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acad View Post
Booxtor,
This is a great opportunity for Onyx. Frankly, it's surprising that with the exception of Sony no other major ereader company has figured this out yet. (Sony came close, but ultimately missed the mark with limited cloud functionality and nose-bleed price.) I'm an academic. I – and thousands of people like me – spend hours everyday reading PDF files. Reading and annotating these on a computer or regular tablet is bad for our eyes and not very efficient for marking up text. What we want is an experience as close to working with actual paper as possible. We don't care about other bells and whistles (we can get those from out regular tablets). Give us a solid large ereader for reading and marking up texts - and we WILL buy your product. I guarantee you.
Pretty much spot on. Need a good device that won't slow you down much; otherwise pen and paper remains superior. I would only add that the ability to access and buy ebooks is also very handy (sometimes the desired material comes in that form). Quick coloured highlighting is also a nice addition (as well as a coloured screen) but those are obviously extras.
JR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:21 AM   #47
JR77
JR77 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 7th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by fozzedout View Post
Is that right Booxtor? Six months after release there will be a new and improved version?

The question now is, do I get an early version, or wait for the better version?

Booxtor, I would advise them to just concentrate on the better version.
Isn't your M96 basically an early version, at least in some senses? I was going to buy one of those in the meantime and then wait for the second version of this new one (should it come out).
JR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2015, 02:57 AM   #48
kuskro
Connoisseur
kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.

Device: Onyx Boox T68 & M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR77 View Post
Pretty much spot on. Need a good device that won't slow you down much; otherwise pen and paper remains superior. I would only add that the ability to access and buy ebooks is also very handy (sometimes the desired material comes in that form). Quick coloured highlighting is also a nice addition (as well as a coloured screen) but those are obviously extras.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR77 View Post
Isn't your M96 basically an early version, at least in some senses? I was going to buy one of those in the meantime and then wait for the second version of this new one (should it come out).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acad View Post
Booxtor,
This is a great opportunity for Onyx. Frankly, it's surprising that with the exception of Sony no other major ereader company has figured this out yet. (Sony came close, but ultimately missed the mark with limited cloud functionality and nose-bleed price.) I'm an academic. I – and thousands of people like me – spend hours everyday reading PDF files. Reading and annotating these on a computer or regular tablet is bad for our eyes and not very efficient for marking up text. What we want is an experience as close to working with actual paper as possible. We don't care about other bells and whistles (we can get those from out regular tablets). Give us a solid large ereader for reading and marking up texts - and we WILL buy your product. I guarantee you.
I'm faculty, too. And I spent many hours on M96 to make it works for academic purposes but I gave up because both hardware and software are not good at all. Now I'm using a Xperia Z3 Tablet because I notice Sony IPS screen doesn't strain my eyes after hours of papers reading if I use Lux App (Night Mode 4740k). I'm allergic to any device backlight in special blue light but I can use my Xperia z3 Tablet for hours everyday (battery is awesome on this device) , its hardware is truly recommendable combined with apps like: ezpdf reader pro, moon+ reader pro, GMD Immersive (for controlling full screen), Button Savior (non root), Puffin Browser, Lux, etc...

Best

Last edited by kuskro; 11-19-2015 at 03:26 AM.
kuskro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:05 PM   #49
Xen
Connoisseur
Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle

Last edited by Xen; 08-22-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:55 AM   #50
JHarry
Connoisseur
JHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Accroding to their Chinese SNS-Weibo, the new 13.3 device is likely to be a Android reader with only 150 dpi, and the 9.7 device with 1200*825(in 2015 !!!),
very disappoited.

Aha, will the 207 dpi one be released on 2018?
JHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2015, 04:35 PM   #51
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xen View Post
Google and everybody else wants to jump on the microtransaction bandwagon in addition to selling your personal info for profit
I hear you and share your concern, however Google states that they do not sell your personal information. I believe this because they can probably keep it and use it themselves for greater profit than selling it to someone else.
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:03 PM   #52
inmee
Banned
inmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: T68 Boox
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHarry View Post
Accroding to their Chinese SNS-Weibo, the new 13.3 device is likely to be a Android reader with only 150 dpi, and the 9.7 device with 1200*825(in 2015 !!!),
very disappoited.

Aha, will the 207 dpi one be released on 2018?
You mean this?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...#1448730192149
inmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:12 PM   #53
Davide-NYC
Davide-NYC began at the beginning.

Device: 13.3 ereader
Any updates?
Davide-NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 01:34 PM   #54
espinosa00011
Enthusiast
espinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the rough

Device: None
Any news?

Hello,

Any information about the final resolution of the screen? What about the estimated price? I am interested in buying one or two if the final specifications are ok.

Thank you
espinosa00011
espinosa00011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:42 PM   #55
Xen
Connoisseur
Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle

Last edited by Xen; 08-22-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:56 AM   #56
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Additionally Onyx is going to use the newest flexible PVI HD screen with 2200x1650 (207 DPI) (just for comparison - Sony is using 1600 x1200 (150DPI)
Weight currently is about 400g.

Expected availability - spring of 2016.
Are they going to use the hi-res screen in the spring 2016 release?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimus View Post
Regarding buttons placement. Why M92/M96 buttons placement is not applicable to 13.3" device? I'm not sure if device will be held below or in the middle while reading. I think that buttons should be need holding point. For me M92/M96 buttons placement and joystick are just great.
I also doubt I would hold the device close enough to the bottom edge to be comfortable with where they are in the prototype (or Booxtor's suggestion of redesign). The positioning of L/R buttons in M9x is fine with me (although the buttons themselves are horrible rubbery kind of thing that not always register the key presses or the rubber is too soft). The i86 was good too apart from the build quality (of my model anyway). And then there is Kindle and its nice design of L/R buttons.

Also while I'm at it, i86 had a power button that was far too easy to accidentally press and send the device to sleep. Please ensure this button is recessed in Onyx 13.3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
I want put the stylus away in the device. With the M92, you take the device and forget the stylus. If the stylus is tie to the device, it's not a good solution when you put the device in your bag.

The prototype seems use the same solution to hold the stylus than the SONY. My Samsung EB65 have a dedicated place in the frame of the reader.
I agree. Keep the loop for the fat stylus but also include a skinny one (like the one in M9x) that can be hidden in the frame.
machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 08:08 AM   #57
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
@Xen:
I don't share your hatred of Android: I think the services Google offers are more than worth the "price" we are paying (being shown targeted ads instead of random ones).

That said, it would be great if all Android devices came with unlocked bootloaders so they could be rooted and allowed users to install Linux. (I didn't research the topic, but based on a quick web search - where Google gave exactly the results I wanted �� - this seems to be the key.) Or manufacturers could offer the same device with a choice of Android or Linux.

As for Android on e-ink tablets, I have good news for you. On the Boox M96, battery life is much better than any Android phones or tablets with backlit LCD screens. This is partially due to the screen tech, and partially to the lack of a wireless data connection (if you switch wifi and bluetooth off). This also means you won't be sending any data to Google, if that's a concern for you.

Last edited by Jmirko; 12-25-2015 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Deleted long quote
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:25 PM   #58
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
You left no room for doubt who you were replying to Jmirko...

Xen, I'm on a fortnight trip accompanied by my Android M96, I didn't even bother to take the charger for it. There is no need as long as you don't touch the radio. Just as it was the case with my non-Android M92. You can switch back to praying for peace in the world instead

P.S. Regarding your search headaches try duckduckgo.com.
machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 09:38 AM   #59
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinogodzilla View Post
You left no room for doubt who you were replying to Jmirko...
Thanks for the friendly feedback 😃. I removed the overly long quote.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:33 PM   #60
Dan23
Connoisseur
Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Paperwhite 6.8"
Booxtor,
Any update on a potential release date (or release quarter even)? I am thinking about buying a new device and it would be helpful to know. Thanks.
Dan23 is offline   Reply With Quote