Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-22-2014, 07:12 PM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Has the Samsung Galaxy S5 made all the Kindles obsolete?

I've had a Samsung Galaxy S5 now for one week since its release. Now I hardly ever look at my two Paperwhites and my two Fires. Amazon limits us to 6 devices for eBooks and I will soon have to unregister some of those old devices and give them away.

The screen uses a different technology than Amazon or Apple and is super bright and super clear. The Kindle for Samsung app has a font much wider and sharper than any of the Kindle fonts.

The screen is also much larger than any iPhones.

I had to carry any of my Kindles in my wife's pocketbook. I can carry the new S5 in my pants pocket and it is so much lighter to hold.

There is almost no glare in bright sun and is great in dark ambient light.

Plus, it uses 4G LTE for data transfer, the fastest in the nation via the ATT network.

It also has a new innovation, Ultra Power Saving Mode, whereby one can have a 100% battery charge last for 12.5 days. The downside of that mode is that it is in black and white and only runs 6 apps including phone and messaging. I use it every night when I sleep.

I can play Shredder Chess on it and alternate with reading Kindle eBooks. If lost or stolen, it can be instantly found at the Android Device Manager site within 15 meters and then can be made to ring continuously, locked with a new password or wiped clean as the situation requires.

My problem is the last PW and HDX are only SIX MONTHS old. I can't believe the rate of obsolescence with these readers. I have a hunch in 6 months my S5 will also be obsolete. I heard that Apple will introduce a "Phablet" in a few months which may have a larger screen than the S5 and still be light and small enough for a pocket.

Amazon, as well, has a new smart phone which will be offered next October.

Technology is forcing the consumer to spend more and more money for new eReaders every year. I sometimes long for the simplicity of the old print books.

Last edited by sirmaru; 04-22-2014 at 07:19 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:16 PM   #2
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Considering how you like to crank your PW light to the max, I can see how an emissive screen may suit you.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2014, 10:02 PM   #3
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
I have the Samsung Note 3, and while I do love that it has the ability to be used as a reader in sunlight and it has a larger screen than my old cell phone, it will never replace my paperwhite as my primary reader. I also do not see it replacing my Fire because I like the larger screen and having a native Amazon device for all my Amazon content.

Though I will say, I am surprised you would ask this question. You seem to always "love" whatever device is the newest for you. And being such a diehard Amazonite, I am surprised you would suggest such a thing since Amazon devices seem to compute on water, as far as you are concerned.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:15 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Has any tablet/smartphone ever rendered the dedicated e-ink reader obsolete? No.
Nor will they ever.

People still buy clocks/watches and mp3 players, among others, even though a smartphone can do both, because there is still a market for dedicated devices -- although that is not necessarily the majority of people.

There was a thread about this, though I seem to have lost track of it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:57 AM   #5
Stringer
Connoisseur
Stringer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 and 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I have the Samsung Note 3, and while I do love that it has the ability to be used as a reader in sunlight and it has a larger screen than my old cell phone, it will never replace my paperwhite as my primary reader.
I agree. On normal day room light it might not matter, but night with dark room.. No way. Also, direct summer sun light is something which I wouldnt even start to compare.
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2014, 05:38 AM   #6
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
For me smaller is NOT better. My eyes aren't good enough to read from anything smaller than a 6 inch reader. Even if you enlarge the text which means you see less there is the unreadable menues problem. And I dislike the tablet interface. It's lack of precision means I'm always selecting things instead of just scrolling so I spend a lot of time trying to go back to where I was before the accident. Very annoying.

The 6 inch eink reader fits my needs perfectly now, though if my eyes get worse even their menues might become a problem.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:08 AM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Amazon limits us to 6 devices for eBooks and I will soon have to unregister some of those old devices and give them away.
That is not true. I have more than 6 devices on my account and have had more than 6 Kindles on the same account. The "limit" refers to the maximum number of devices *one* book can be on at a time and even that isn't always true. Sometimes it's fewer or unlimited.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:21 AM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

True

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
That is not true. I have more than 6 devices on my account and have had more than 6 Kindles on the same account. The "limit" refers to the maximum number of devices *one* book can be on at a time and even that isn't always true. Sometimes it's fewer or unlimited.
That is true. Each eBook can only be on up to 6 devices. However, there will probably be two new Kindles in my future this October so just retaining one Kindle Fire HDX 2013, one Kindle Paperwhite 2013 and one Galaxy S5 phone is more than enough for my wife and myself to share.

I did a factory reset of my Kindle Fire HD 2012 and my Paperwhite 2012 which will be gifted to others.

If everyone follows this policy, each Kindle could end up passing down to several other folks than the original purchaser and spread it more through the population.

My favorite "toy" today is my Samsung Galaxy S5 which I also purchased from Amazon.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:25 AM   #9
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Should have gotten a Nexus 5.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:42 AM   #10
Skibble
Runs With Scissors
Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I also have a Galaxy S5. Hasn't changed my reading habits a bit. A phone screen versus e-ink? It's no contest, IMHO.
Skibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:58 PM   #11
sirmaru
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibble View Post
I also have a Galaxy S5. Hasn't changed my reading habits a bit. A phone screen versus e-ink? It's no contest, IMHO.
Install the Kindle for Samsung App from the Samsung App Store on your phone. Then make the comparison.

I use white text on black background and the S5 with that particular App is great in text legibility. It beats my PW 2013 and the HDX 2013. The white text in that app is very wide and sharp. If you read in Landscape Mode, its a great reader.

In very bright sunlight, you are right that the PW 2013 is better but just in that environment.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:14 PM   #12
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Since I am in the market for a phone at the moment ( no contract) I looked up what this one costs. Its $600 . Its not comparable to a e-ink reader, nor is it going to make anything obsolete. My basic kindle cost me $50, even the PW can be had for $119.

Gadgets can coexist. One doesn't make the other obsolete.

I don't think a 5 inch screen would be enough for reading for me anyway. I think the 6 inch is about minimum for me to fit enough text on a page.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:32 PM   #13
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've got an S4 now and I love it. I use the Kindle app for some books to read now. It won't replace my K3 as my happiest reading device, but on the go every now and then it is a joy. I can imaginethe S5 would be even better.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:45 PM   #14
Stringer
Connoisseur
Stringer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 and 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
It's lack of precision means I'm always selecting things instead of just scrolling so I spend a lot of time trying to go back to where I was before the accident. Very annoying.
Kindle android and page flipping doesn't differ that much from the Paperwhite. You either tap one side or you slide from one direction to another. Not much can go wrong with that. Also, with Nova launcher you can make Kindle app icon as size of the whole screen. Even the book covers on the Kindle's start screen are close to the size of PW. If that isn't enough, you can always use the Samsungs handicap zoom for menus.

So what is the real problem? I suspect you want to do more than reading, but that ain't very good reason to judge the reading experience. Or maybe you are just holding it wrong

Oh well, anyway, there are good reasons to stick with proper readers, so no shame on that.
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:49 PM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

Some will never give up their eInks, but I did quite a few months ago. I read exclusively on my iPad mini Retina and iPhone 5. I only read on the iPhone 5 when away from home and waiting somewhere for an appointment. I do believe tablets, not smartphones, will become the goto device for most readers, if they haven't already. EInk is losing ground and falling farther behind in technology. IMO, eInks are dinosaurs waiting for the asteroid strike that will make them extinct.