Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-03-2017, 12:18 PM   #1771
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
You do not mention which MKK version you installed.

Did you get the MKK archive from this post?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030

From inside of that archive, did you use?
Update_mkk_20141129-k4-ALL_install.bin

Have you tried to start KUAL two or more times in a row?
(It sometimes fails to run the first time you try it.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:52 AM   #1772
Liknus
Liknus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You do not mention which MKK version you installed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liknus View Post
I'm on:
Code:
Kindle 4 'Black' (2012) [SN:9023 ...]
Fw v.: 4.1.3
Jailbreak 1.8.N
MKK 20141129
KUAL V.2.7 (KUAL-KDK-1.0.azw2 version)
Did you get the MKK archive from this post?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030
Actually no, I took it from the attachment here. I tried, btw, with that on your link, but still, it doesn't work.

Quote:
From inside of that archive, did you use?
Update_mkk_20141129-k4-ALL_install.bin
Yeah!

Quote:
Have you tried to start KUAL two or more times in a row?
(It sometimes fails to run the first time you try it.)
I haven't before, But I did it now.. Nothing changed!

Thanks for your much appreciated help Sir!
Liknus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:32 AM   #1773
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Actually no, I took it from the attachment here. I tried, btw, with that on your link, but still, it doesn't work.
- - - -
The files contained in the snapshot archive, kindle-mkk-20141129-r13408.tar.xz have been updated and newly built from the ones in kindle-mkk-20141129.zip.
Notice the revision number in the archive name of the archive taken from the snapshot thread?
That is significant.
But your post did not include enough of the archive name to tell the difference between the two.

Be very certain to use the proper Update_*.bin file from the snapshot archive, the one with the revision number in its name.
It will not do any harm if it (or an older one) has been installed.

Then explain (while trying the most recent, proper file) what you mean by "does not work".
Old 05-04-2017, 09:09 AM   #1774
Liknus

Quote:
The files contained in the snapshot archive, kindle-mkk-20141129-r13408.tar.xz have been updated and newly built from the ones in kindle-mkk-20141129.zip.
Notice the revision number in the archive name of the archive taken from the snapshot thread?
That is significant.
But your post did not include enough of the archive name to tell the difference between the two.

Be very certain to use the proper Update_*.bin file from the snapshot archive, the one with the revision number in its name.
It will not do any harm if it (or an older one) has been installed.

Then explain (while trying the most recent, proper file) what you mean by "does not work".
Thanks again for the reply!
I'm re-doing pretty much everything:
  1. Restore Default settings
  2. Jailbreak with kindle-k4-jailbreak-1.8.N
  3. Install Update_mkk-20141129-k4-ALL_install.bin from kindle-mkk-20141129-r13408.tar.xz
  4. Copy KUAL-KDK-1.0.awz2 into /root/documents folder, from KUAL-v2.7.zip
  5. Still getting the same errors: An error occurred: Main Class Instantiation threw a RuntimeException. Please contact the developer.
Am I suppose to copy some other files or folders from Kual-v2.7.zip into the /root or /root/documents of my K4?

Edit, this is the crash.log:
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[05/09/2016 06:04] KUAL (v. 2.7)

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax.swing.JButton
	at ixtab.jailbreak.SuicidalKindlet.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at com.mobileread.ixtab.kindlelauncher.KualKindlet.<init>(KualKindlet.java:46)
	at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.internal.kb.zdb(tpb:275)
	at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.internal.kb.KU(tpb:439)
	at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.internal.lifecycle.o.call(psb:412)
	at edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(fw:491)
	at edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.IX(qr:959)
	at edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(qr:803)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:989)
	at java.lang.Thread.startup(Thread.java:1066)
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax.swing.JButton
	at com.mobileread.ixtab.kindlelauncher.ui.UIAdapter.createInstance(UIAdapter.java:35)
	at com.mobileread.ixtab.kindlelauncher.ui.UIAdapter.<clinit>(UIAdapter.java:28)
	at java.lang.Class.runStaticInitializers(Compiled Method)(Class.java:1604)
	at com.mobileread.ixtab.kindlelauncher.KualKindlet.getUI(KualKindlet.java:269)
	at com.mobileread.ixtab.kindlelauncher.KualKindlet.<init>(KualKindlet.java:152)
	at com.mobileread.ixtab.kindlelauncher.KualKindlet.<init>(KualKindlet.java:46)
	at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.internal.kb.zdb(tpb:275)
	at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.internal.kb.KU(tpb:439)
	at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.internal.lifecycle.o.call(psb:412)
	at edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(fw:491)
	at edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.IX(qr:959)
	at edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(qr:803)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:989)
	at java.lang.Thread.startup(Thread.java:1066)
Could the problem be related to se OS I'm using? It would be weird.. but.. I'm on Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS..

Last edited by Liknus; 05-04-2017 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Added crash.log
Old 05-04-2017, 09:15 AM   #1775
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Thanks again for the reply!
I'm re-doing pretty much everything:
  1. Restore Default settings
  2. Jailbreak with kindle-k4-jailbreak-1.8.N
  3. Install Update_mkk-20141129-k4-ALL_install.bin from kindle-mkk-20141129-r13408.tar.xz
  4. Copy KUAL-KDK-1.0.awz2 into /root/documents folder, from KUAL-v2.7.zip
  5. Still getting the same errors: An error occurred: Main Class Instantiation threw a RuntimeException. Please contact the developer.
Am I suppose to copy some other files or folders from Kual-v2.7.zip into the /root or /root/documents of my K4?
Could the problem be related to se OS I'm using? It would be weird.. but.. I'm on Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS..
When you connect the USB cable from the Kindle to the PC -
you should get a file manager pop-up on the PC -
It would be shown as: Kindle:/<contents of highest visible storage area>
And actually mounted at: /media/Kindle/

KUAL goes into the highest visible storage area: Kindle:/documents/<put KUAL here>

See first post of this thread, section: "FAQ and Known Issues"
Open spoiler and there find:
Quote:
On a cold boot, even with everything in order, KUAL may sill fail to start on the first try, usually with a "An error occurred while trying to open this item", or a "The selected application cannot be started. Please try again later" or "Kindlet did not shut down properly" popup. This is a known issue, stemming from restrictions of the Kindlet framework, and the way in which KUAL is designed. Simply try again a bit later. (On a sidenote, enabling gawk might help a bit).
Which is similar to your error message, but only similar.
Yours specifies that the developer keys are not installed.

Try re-installing the MKK that you listed above, again.
Watch for error messages.
Look in the system log files for messages, not from trying to start KUAL, but from trying to install MKK.

No, it can not be related to the OS on your PC (at least not this error).
It could be related to what/how you are moving the MKK Update file to the highest, visible level, of USB storage.
Some file transfer utilities try to be helpful and change line endings in things they think are text (but on *nix, that should not happen since *nix does not support a "text" mode I/O stream, only binary).
It is possible that Ubuntu, in an effort to be more "Windows Like" has incorporated some to the failings of Windows in their system configuration.

Just wait for Ubuntu 20.x version - they will include the BSD feature.

Last edited by knc1; 05-04-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:25 AM   #1776
Liknus

Quote:
See first post of this thread, section: "FAQ and Known Issues"
Open spoiler and there find:

Ok! I've copied both gawk and kual-helper into the /root/extensions folder on the K4. Tried launching KUAL from the 'desktop' a bunch of times, but nope.. I'll wait some hours.. Let's see if this resolve the issue ;D

Thanks @knc1
Old 05-04-2017, 09:34 AM   #1777
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:

Ok! I've copied both gawk and kual-helper into the /root/extensions folder on the K4. Tried launching KUAL from the 'desktop' a bunch of times, but nope.. I'll wait some hours.. Let's see if this resolve the issue ;D

Thanks @knc1
That does not sound correct.
Post a tree of the Kindle:/extensions directory.

A simply "copy" is usually not the way to install KUAL extensions.

Usually you have to un-archive a KUAL extension archive into the top level of visible USB storage and let it re-create the directory structure in the archive.

I think you are either mis-describing what you are doing, or are trying to shortcut the process.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:06 AM   #1778
Liknus

Quote:
That does not sound correct.
Post a tree of the Kindle:/extensions directory.

A simply "copy" is usually not the way to install KUAL extensions.

Usually you have to un-archive a KUAL extension archive into the top level of visible USB storage and let it re-create the directory structure in the archive.

I think you are either mis-describing what you are doing, or are trying to shortcut the process.
With 'copy', I mean drag&drop from the .zip file.. Now I'm doing the whole process again the last time..

- Reset to default settings.
- Once rebooted, I don't set-up any wi-fi network of Amazon account.
- Jailbreak by dragging&dropping the required files and folder into the device root (from kindle-k4-jailbreak-1.8.N) -> unplug the microUSB -> Reboot the device.
- You are Jailbroken text file appears in my dashboard.
- Drag&drop Update_mkk-20141129-k4-ALL_install.bin into the device root from kindle-mkk-20141129-r13408.tar.xz -> unplug the microUSB -> Update your Kindle -> Update succesfully, you Kindle is restarting screen appears on the device.
- As of now, the root folder of my kindle is made off of two folders (documents and system) and a text file (DONT_HALT_ON_REPAIR).
- After the reboot, I drag&drop KUAL-KDK-1.0.azw2 into the documents folder, -> unplug the microUSB -> launch KUAL from the dashboard -> pop-up error appears
- As of now, the root folder of my kindle is made off of three folders (developer, documents and system) and a text file (DONT_HALT_ON_REPAIR).
- Extract kual-gawk-1.5.N.zip in the root of K4, such that now I've got the following 'situation': four folders (developer, documents, extensions and system) and three text files (ChangeLog.txt, DONT_HALT_ON_REPAIR and VERSION). -> unplug the microUSB ->launch KUAL -> same pop-up error as always

That's exactly what I'm doing..
Cheers,
L.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:13 AM   #1779
knc1
Going Viral

KUAL should have created the /extensions directory when it started (or tried to start).

Did you try starting KUAL more than once, with a pause (a few tens of seconds, not hours) in-between each try?

Note:
You are not the only person using KUAL on a K4 running 4.1.3
It has to be something specific to your device.

Q: Do you have ssh access to the Kindle?
(as in: have you installed USBnetworking?)

Edit:
I just checked my Kindle piles - I don't think I have a black K4 that still works.
Unless I can find one, I will not have a way to try to duplicate your problem here.

Last edited by knc1; 05-04-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:34 AM   #1780
Liknus

Quote:
KUAL should have created the /extensions directory when it started (or tried to start).

Did you try starting KUAL more than once, with a pause (a few tens of seconds, not hours) in-between each try?

Note:
You are not the only person using KUAL on a K4 running 4.1.3
It has to be something specific to your device.

Q: Do you have ssh access to the Kindle?
(as in: have you installed USBnetworking?)

I tried to SSH connect to my K4 NT.. But I'm not able to set up the thing.. So I cannot really tell if I can or I cannot connect via SSH to it... Sorry..
I'm following this guide here, but either using
Code:
ifconfig usb0 192.168.15.201
or
Code:
ifconfig enp0s26f7u1u3 192.168.15.201
(where enp0s26f7u1u3 is the name that I get with dmesg | grep usb0..), my Ubuntu machine keeps telling me:
Code:
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
PS. I have obviously installed USBnetworking..

Quote:
Edit:
I just checked my Kindle piles - I don't think I have a black K4 that still works.
Unless I can find one, I will not have a way to try to duplicate your problem here.
Then our only hope is for somebody else to come here and find a solution
Thanks for all your support Sir
Old 05-04-2017, 11:50 AM   #1781
knc1
Going Viral

That guide is mostly just a re-print of the first post/readme file that comes with USB networking.

Check the K4 USBnetworking archive for "README" (or similar names) files, read them -
What you are looking for is the default (Kindle end of the cable) ip address used with the K4.

I am pretty sure it is different than what is used with the firmware series 5 devices (the touchscreen devices) for which most posted directions are written.

Also -
Use ip not ifconfig.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:48 PM   #1782
knc1
Going Viral

Sorry, I can't think of anything else:

Last edited by knc1; 05-04-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:22 AM   #1783
Liknus

Quote:
That guide is mostly just a re-print of the first post/readme file that comes with USB networking.

Check the K4 USBnetworking archive for "README" (or similar names) files, read them -
What you are looking for is the default (Kindle end of the cable) ip address used with the K4.

I am pretty sure it is different than what is used with the firmware series 5 devices (the touchscreen devices) for which most posted directions are written.

Also -
Use ip not ifconfig.
Yeah, I've followed that too! Same problem! I've asked a friend of mine that has the same model (K4NT) to try out KUAL on his machine.. Let's see if he will be luckier! I'll be posting here, or he'll be posting his self, the results! Cheers Sir!
Old 06-10-2017, 02:11 PM   #1784
Mooncrater
Mooncrater began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle KT3
Exclamation KUAL has stopped working suddenly.

I just tried to open KUAL, and all I got was a message saying "The selected application could not be started. Please try again." Though it was working pretty fine until now. It might've working for almost 2 months, and I don't think my kindle got updated. All I did was restart it. That shouldn't have done anything.
Mooncrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:44 PM   #1785
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncrater View Post
I just tried to open KUAL, and all I got was a message saying "The selected application could not be started. Please try again." Though it was working pretty fine until now. It might've working for almost 2 months, and I don't think my kindle got updated. All I did was restart it. That shouldn't have done anything.
It updated, check the "Device Info" panel in settings to confirm your gift from Amazon.
UNLESS
You hit "Reset" instead of "Restart"

Whatever happened to it, re-install the 'hotfix' (which includes the application keys).
Note: You are now running a "consumer" firmware build, you must use MrPI to re-install all *.bin packages.

Since you have an 8th. generation device, you must be using the booklet form of KUAL.

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified