Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #31
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
I actually debated which category to put these in but ended up putting them here as they both had some elements of the supernatural. They're actually cross genre, but I feel that probably a lot of mystery/suspense lovers are not interested in stories with supernatural elements.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #32
KentE
...still a Zealot
KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pixi & PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
I actually debated which category to put these in but ended up putting them here as they both had some elements of the supernatural. They're actually cross genre, but I feel that probably a lot of mystery/suspense lovers are not interested in stories with supernatural elements.
I think you made a good choice of thread, although it's not really apparent from the book blurb included. And I sympathize with your quandary! I read more mystery than horror, and I'm frequently unhappy when a "mystery" book unexpectedly injects supernatural elements, while Hitchcock style horror doesn't disturb me even if not forewarned... There are some series that I really enjoy that intermix genres to a description-defying extent. (Is that hard-boiled detective novel involving an alien species Sci-Fi or mystery? What about the Jewish time-traveliing detective? Or the police procedural where the protagonist just happens to be a werewolf? Or my surprise that the bookstore now has an entire section for Paranormal Romance....)
KentE
KentE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #33
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentE View Post
I think you made a good choice of thread, although it's not really apparent from the book blurb included. And I sympathize with your quandary! I read more mystery than horror, and I'm frequently unhappy when a "mystery" book unexpectedly injects supernatural elements, while Hitchcock style horror doesn't disturb me even if not forewarned... There are some series that I really enjoy that intermix genres to a description-defying extent. (Is that hard-boiled detective novel involving an alien species Sci-Fi or mystery? What about the Jewish time-traveliing detective? Or the police procedural where the protagonist just happens to be a werewolf? Or my surprise that the bookstore now has an entire section for Paranormal Romance....)
KentE
Thanks, Kent. I would put the alien species detective novel in the SF thread for the same reasons: The mystery-loving reader may not want to read SF, but the SF-loving reader probably doesn't care if it is a mystery. Also, I am finding the publishers/authors miscategorize quite a bit, so I try to go mainly by the description but sometimes get fooled even then. I also look at the reviews to see what the reviewers say about the type of book it is.

This is the problem with doing genre-specific threads when there are crossovers but wanting to avoid double posting.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:49 AM   #34
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Free Bad Thoughts by Dave Zeltserman. Originally published by Five Star in 2007.
Bummer missed this one. For some reason I'm collecting freebies from this author. One day I might even read one.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:41 AM   #35
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kindle Daily Deal today has the whole "Nightingale" trilogy from Stephen Leather at $1.99 each.

Know nothing about them, but I've at least heard of this author and I thought at this price I'd dive in:

Amazon (US)

They also have Whispersync for Voice advertised for $1.99, but only the third book seems to have a valid link to a $1.99 offering at the Audible site. Not sure what that's all about, but I know very little about this service so maybe I'm doing it wrong.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #36
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Scott Mariani's Uprising (Book #1 in the Vampire Federation series) is $1.99 at Kobo.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #37
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Kindle Daily Deal today has the whole "Nightingale" trilogy from Stephen Leather at $1.99 each.

Know nothing about them, but I've at least heard of this author and I thought at this price I'd dive in:

Amazon (US)
I thoroughly enjoyed this series, and would strongly recommend them to anyone who liked Mike Carey's Felix Castor series, as well as any fans of the television show Supernatural.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #38
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBird View Post
Scott Mariani's Uprising (Book #1 in the Vampire Federation series) is $1.99 at Kobo.
not available in the US ($9 in AU).

Looks like this series may have picked up a new publisher, as it's missing on Kindle and from Kobo for US readers.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:33 AM   #39
NightBird
Wizard

The Exorcist: 40th Anniversary Edition by William P. Blatty is $2.30 at BOB; $2.99 at Amazon, Sony, and B&N.

Quote:
Newly polished and added to by it author...
is, I guess, what makes it the "40th Anniversary Edition." lol
Old 02-20-2013, 05:17 AM   #40
NightBird
Wizard

The Unseen by Alexandra Sokoloff is free. Was on sale for $.99 last year. Originally published by Macmillan in 2009.

Quote:
From Thriller Award-winning author Alexandra Sokoloff...

A terrifying novel of suspense inspired by the world-famous ESP experiments conducted by Dr. J.B. Rhine in the Duke University parapsychology department.

After experiencing a precognitive dream that shatters her engagement and changes her life forever, young California psychology professor Laurel MacDonald decides to get a fresh start by taking a job at Duke University in North Carolina. She soon becomes obsessed with the long-buried files form the world-famous Rhine parapsychology experiments, which attempted to prove if ESP really exists.

As she teams up with another charismatic professor, they uncover disturbing reports, including a mysterious case of a house supposedly haunted by a poltergeist, investigated by another research team in 1965. The two professors and two exceptionally gifted Duke students move into the grand, abandoned mansion to replicate the investigation, unaware that the entire original team ended up insane... or dead.
Check this post in the SF/Fantasy thread for free genre-busting horror.

Last edited by NightBird; 02-20-2013 at 05:20 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #41
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
The Exorcist: 40th Anniversary Edition by William P. Blatty is $2.30 at BOB; $2.99 at Amazon, Sony, and B&N.

is, I guess, what makes it the "40th Anniversary Edition." lol
Awesome! Thanks for that.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #42
NightBird
Wizard

The King of Plagues: A Joe Ledger Novel by Jonathan Maberry is $2.99 (down from $9.99) from Macmillan. Third in the Joe Ledger series. B&N Kobo

Quote:
Saturday 09:11 Hours: A blast rocks a London hospital and thousands are dead or injured… 10:09 Hours: Joe Ledger arrives on scene to investigate. The horror is unlike anything he has ever seen. Compelled by grief and rage, Joe rejoins the DMS and within hours is attacked by a hit-team of assassins and sent on a suicide mission into a viral hot zone during an Ebola outbreak. Soon Joe Ledger and the Department of Military Sciences begin tearing down the veils of deception to uncover a vast and powerful secret society using weaponized versions of the Ten Plagues of Egypt to destabilize world economies and profit from the resulting chaos. Millions will die unless Joe Ledger meets the this powerful new enemy on their own terms as he fights terror with terror.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #43
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Slightly OT:

Two of my search engines for some reason do not list 'Horror' freebies for today. The category isn't even there.

Here's one of them:

http://www.freereadfeed.com/

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #44
NightBird
Wizard

Horror is usually a sub-category under Literature & Fiction. Click on that and then you will see the Horror category.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #45
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Horror is usually a sub-category under Literature & Fiction. Click on that and then you will see the Horror category.
It hasn't been for the past one month or so.

I wonder if they changed things around.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote