Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-22-2010, 11:12 PM   #1
Morpheus Phreak
Wielder of Hammers
Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle Keyboard & Kindle Fire
Download Kindle 2 US (Sprint) 2.5.6 Update Here

http://www.rtoadm.com/Update_501100064_501108064.bin

That's the site I host my blog on, has unlimited bandwidth so feel free to pass it around.

Note: I have not tested this since I captured it off my K2 after it updated, so it's at your own risk.

The tool I used said the file appeared to be intact, so it should be good, but as stated this is at your own risk and I'm not responsible if it bricks your device.

2nd Note: It's also most likely just a 2.5.4 to 2.5.6 Update. Any confirmations on that are welcome.

Last edited by Morpheus Phreak; 07-22-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Morpheus Phreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:29 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yes, it's a 2.5.4 -> 2.5.6 minor update. (K2 US only, once again.)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-22-2010 at 11:47 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:34 PM   #3
Morpheus Phreak
Wielder of Hammers
Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Thanks for that confirmation.

Hopefully this will help some people who have troubles with Whispernet or just in getting OTA updates keep their device up to date
Old 07-22-2010, 11:49 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also note that it doesn't really do anything, it bumps the version tags and do something with a 'Journal' jar, like the 2.5.3 for the k2i did. The real fixes/updates were in the 2.5.4 udate.

Not sure what the purpose of these are...
Old 07-22-2010, 11:57 PM   #5
Morpheus Phreak
Wielder of Hammers

Journaling has to do with the file system. So odds are they spotted a crucial file system bug that needed a fix so they kicked it out there.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:59 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I'm not sure it's actually really the EXT3 journal it's tweaking... But I suck at java, and I'm way too lazy to disassemble the thing to check . (/opt/amazon/ebook/lib/Journal*.jar for the curious)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-23-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:22 AM   #7
ichbindasauge
Connoisseur
ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 US, iPad, Samsung Win 8 Tablet
Has anyone installed the update (downloaded from this site) successfully? Failed on both our US-Kindles.
ichbindasauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:21 AM   #8
arvsinha
Intrepid Explorer
arvsinha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichbindasauge View Post
Has anyone installed the update (downloaded from this site) successfully? Failed on both our US-Kindles.
Mine too. Failed spectacularly with error code u002.
arvsinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:00 AM   #9
Morpheus Phreak
Wielder of Hammers

You are already running 2.5.4 on the US Kindle 2's you're attempting to update, correct?
Old 07-26-2010, 08:59 AM   #10
arvsinha
Intrepid Explorer
arvsinha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus Phreak View Post
You are already running 2.5.4 on the US Kindle 2's you're attempting to update, correct?
thats correct.
Kindle 2 US Version.
Running 2.5.4.
arvsinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:39 AM   #11
Morpheus Phreak
Wielder of Hammers

Hmm...if I get more reports of it not working on K2US devices running 2.5.4 I'll pull the file.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:46 AM   #12
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
I have Kindle DX 2.5.2,
Should I upgrade to 2.5.4 or other release ? and why ?
What's new in the new version ?
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:42 AM   #13
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
Is there an update v2.5.6 for Kindle DX US ?
meem is offline   Reply With Quote