Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-24-2021, 12:52 AM   #31
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by UXstudent View Post
If there's still any activity in this thread I would want to know what it means to format shift? It's not the same as converting formats from say EPUB to MOBI, is it?

Not sure if that knowledge would benefit me in any way, but I'm curious.
Conversion, format shifting. Same thing. Just depends on how pretentious you are feeling.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:48 AM   #32
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Quote:
This could be interpreted as Calibre having a transient posture as we UX people calls it. It's when a program is used as a tool, that is briefly taken out of your toolbox to complete a small task and quickly move on.
If you read ebooks, novels in epub, kindle, sony or Palm formats, then it is really a transient tool.
I might use the web browser, text chat/VOIP/Video chat or word processor for hours every day. I might go weeks without even opening Calibre and then it's only because I've bought an ebook or found a new bunch of Public Domain ebooks (here, Gutenberg but not Archive dot org – Wayback Machine – unless I'm desperate for a particular really PD title and prepared to read a scan to PDF. Their ebooks are not usually proofed, poor OCR of PDF and they also pirate content. Downloaded too much mobi/epub garbage from Archive dot org).

If you are only using a physical library to read novels (printed or ebook), then it too is a kind of transient tool, as is Kindle Store on Amazon or Smashwords.com or Google Playstore for books.

Comics or graphic novels do come in electronic format and can be managed by Calibre. Most don't take as long to consume.

I only use Calibre's viewer to preview ebooks I'm producing. It might take 2 weeks to a year to write a 1st draft of a novel. It takes minutes to make the docx into an epub2 ebook to proof read and annotate on an eink based ereader. Minutes to read all the annotations in Calibre and copy paste into KATE, a multitab text editor and then half a day to two weeks to edit the source novel in LO Writer, depending on how many annotations there are and revision level of the book.
But I spend most time using Calibre to import, clean and transfer old public domain novels rather than our own books.
I spend about x20 more time ordinary reading than actual proof reading
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:35 AM   #33
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Format shifting and converting formats are the same.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:04 PM   #34
UXstudent
UXstudent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UXstudent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UXstudent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UXstudent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UXstudent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UXstudent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UXstudent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UXstudent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UXstudent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UXstudent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UXstudent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
After posting the survey and getting some data, I realized in hindsight there were a few questions that didn't get included in the questions for Calibre users.

So I'll post them here and hope I'll get at least some answers.

1) There are several layouts available for displaying your library. Which one do you prefer and why? (Listview [default], Cover browser and Cover Grid)

2a) How would you prefer displaying the content of a connected device and why? (In a separate window, in a separate tab, in a separate pane [library and device side by side] or current method [switch display mode: library/device])
2b) Do you prefer device content to display automatically on connection or on command? Please describe why?

Thank you for all responses so far.
UXstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:06 AM   #35
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8'', Kobo Libra H2O
1) List view. I want to see as much information as possible without clicking through individual books. Makes sense if you have thousands of ebooks.

2) A separate pane would be ideal, but the current method works as well.

3) No preference. Possibly I'm too used to the way it's always been.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:55 AM   #36
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

1. I prefer list view, the cover of the current book shows in the details panel and I prefer a text list to see more information on a single page.
  2. I prefer the current method. I seldom want to see what is on the device other than if calibre thinks a book is on the device (checkmark or not in the main panel when a device is connected).
  3. Again I prefer it on command. I don't need to lose a mass of screen space for something that I don't use all that often.
Old 02-28-2021, 02:31 AM   #37
maddz
Guru
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
1 - List view. 99.9% of the time I'm reading information not looking at pretty pictures. The only time I've ever used cover view is when I was looking for naff covers, and I now have them tagged.

2 - A tick in main pane when device is connected. I use a small laptop for library management and don't want to switch between windows or tabs; I have enough of that when I'm logging on LibraryThing.

3 - Automatically when connected. The column goes away when there's no device.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:49 AM   #38
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
1. List view. It shows the detail I want.

2a. The current method works for me.

2b. I want the device automatically, but, not change to the device view.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:18 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It runs on Linux, Windows and Mac. Unlike Mac and Win10, Linux can use radically different desktops. Then there are user configurable themes. Calibre uses QT. There is even a utility for QT to adjust the desktop application look and feel.

Additionally Calibre has different layout options, one or multiple tool bars, A menu strip option and all can be configured as to the content. Content can be set to change depending on if a device is connected or not.

So I think Calibre UX greatly depends on:
  • Which OS you use.
  • Which Linux Desktop and QT settings.
  • Calibre configuration.
  • Which plug-ins and utilities you need. Some people edit the CSS of every ebook to their own flavour.
  • What device or devices are connected for transfer, if they are Mass Storage, MTP direct or via a directory, if the App imports or uses directly.
  • If you merely transfer books to the device, or use annotations to a 3rd party program, or rotate which books are on a device with limited Flash.
  • If you buy a lot of ebooks with DRM
  • If you also use PDFs.
  • If you use Calibre to catalogue stuff not for an ereader.
Linux is irrelevant if you use Windows. And with Windows, you don't have the issues you can have with Linux. The UX on Windows is good beecause you don't have the possibility of all these dependency issues and the horrible Linux depository that (in most cases) screws up Calibre but good.

As for the UX, what you get depends on what you do and what you need to do. My UX may be very different from someone else's UX based on what I have installed and what I do with Calibre. My UX works for me. Calibre was originally called LibPRS500 because it was written for the Sony Reader PRS-500. It was because of this that I bought the PRS-500. I used to buy MSReader and Mobi format eBooks because I could remove the DRM and convert to LRF (the original format Sony used).

Quote:
Kobo, Adobe and Amazon, and in the past Sony, provide crippled walled garden desktop programs that only work with specific brands or formats of ebook and are mostly desktop shop or DRM management for people without WiFi. I've not used any of those for years.
Sony's Reader for PC was originally only good for Sony's walled garden. Back when Sony added ePub to the PRS-505, the walled garden got a door. MSReader converted well to ePub. So that was a win-win.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:28 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi Jon!

Nice to see you chippin' in.

So may I ask you (Jon & maddz) to go into more detail and give a step-by-step description of how you check your library before making purchases?
For example, do you first browse, see something that interests you, then search your library to see if you have it and then buy it OR do you start searching a book you have in mind and proceed looking to buy it if you already don't have it? Or is there some other method to it?

Thank you for all the responses so far, you've been really helpful
If an eBook I am thinking of purchasing or borrowing from Overdrive, I check my library to see if I have it if I am unsure if I've bought or read it. I also use Goodreads because that lists what I've read. SO between Calibre and Goodreads, I don't buy or borrow books I've already read or already have.

This is one done for books I am unsure of.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:14 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Format shifting and converting formats are the same.
Actually, they are not the same thing. Using the KindleUnpack plugin you can format shift from KF8 to ePub. That is not the same as converting from KF8 to ePub. Format shifting keeps the code as much the same as it can while creating the new format.

Sometimes format shifting doesn't work well because the underlying code is a mess. This happens a lot with self-published eBooks on Amazon. So in that case, converting can be the better option.

But when you do format shift, you do have to check for errors as there are some. In most cases, the errors are very easy to fix.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:18 AM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
After posting the survey and getting some data, I realized in hindsight there were a few questions that didn't get included in the questions for Calibre users.

So I'll post them here and hope I'll get at least some answers.

1) There are several layouts available for displaying your library. Which one do you prefer and why? (Listview [default], Cover browser and Cover Grid)

2a) How would you prefer displaying the content of a connected device and why? (In a separate window, in a separate tab, in a separate pane [library and device side by side] or current method [switch display mode: library/device])
2b) Do you prefer device content to display automatically on connection or on command? Please describe why?

Thank you for all responses so far.
1. I prefer list view.
2a. Most of the time I prefer the way Calibre does it. Most of the time I don't have a need or desire to see what's on my device.
2b. I prefer the way it's done were the information of what's on my device is not automatically displayed buy is very easily accessible.
Old 02-28-2021, 11:06 AM   #43
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, they are not the same thing. Using the KindleUnpack plugin you can format shift from KF8 to ePub. That is not the same as converting from KF8 to ePub. Format shifting keeps the code as much the same as it can while creating the new format.
Says who, besides you?
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:13 AM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Says who, besides you?
If it was the same thing, there would not be an option in the KindleUnpack plugin for format shift KF8 to ePub.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:28 PM   #45
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If it was the same thing, there would not be an option in the KindleUnpack plugin for format shift KF8 to ePub.
Jon, neither of the two KindleUnpack options for AZW3 say format shift, they says KF8 to Epub and unpack AZW3. For the KF8 to Epub option if the KF8 file has an embedded epub, that will be extracted, otherwise the KF8 will be converted/format shifted to epub. The other option is to unpack the KF8 which is sometimes useful for checking images, etc.