Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-17-2009, 02:21 AM   #1
joelypolly
joelypolly has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joelypolly has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joelypolly has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joelypolly has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iliad
Smile HowTo: Getting started on your iRex iLiad

This is the same content from my blog. I will be posting howtos over the next few weeks for new users to get started with all the apps that have been developed for the iLiad.

I have had my iLiad reader for about a year and I want to share some tips for new users to the platform. None of this can be possible without the hard work of many individuals from the MobileRead forums. I am only taking credit for putting everything together for first time users.

Before we start make sure you have the following:
  1. iRex iLiad (either editions)
  2. A MMC or CF card (not must but helpful)
  3. A card reader for the card of your choice (not must but helpful)
  4. Wireless or wired net access setup on your device

First thing you will want to do is to register you device with iRex for shell access. You do this by registering on the iRex developer site.
  1. Register at iRex
  2. Enter your MAC address. This is the code on the back of your iLiad on the sticker, it will look something like 00-16-7C-00-45-22
  3. Click send developer package
  4. Connect to iDS by pushing and holding the connect button (top right button)
  5. Your iLiad will restart when done

The next thing you will want to do is to install FBReader to expand the list of supported document types. This is an integrated version of FBReader created by Adam. B. version 0.8.14
  1. Download FBReader
  2. Unzip into a folder on your MMC or CF card
  3. On you iLiad go to the card and select "Install FBReader"
  4. Restart your device after you see the Title of the item change to "FBReader has been Installed"

Optional step is to install my modified FBReader settings package. This will change the default FBReader font to something much nicer and it also changes the margins so the text isn't pushed all the way to the edges.
  1. Download the settings package
  2. Unzip into a folder on your MMC or CF card
  3. Select "Update FBReader 0.8.14 settings"
No need to restart

More to come in the following weeks
joelypolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:22 AM   #2
joelypolly
joelypolly has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joelypolly has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joelypolly has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joelypolly has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iliad
Talking Part 2

This post we will look at installing a modified content lister as well as a full screen PDF reader. Again like the last post all details are from the MobileRead forums.

The default content lister that comes with your iLiad only supports very few items on a single page before requiring you to turn the page for more items. With the modified content lister you can have more items 8, 12 or 20 items listed on a page. This wonderful modification is thanks to Hansel from MobileRead. The version we will be installing is 1.0.5 which is the current latest version.
  1. Download newContentLister
  2. Unzip on to CF or MMC card
  3. Navigation to your media card and select the newLister-1.0.5 folder
  4. Select the install option "Install NewLister"
  5. Select the number of items per page you require
  6. Select the "Reboot" option

Your iLiad should reboot with new settings

Next up we want to install the full screen PDF reader by jharker. This gives you the ability to fullscreen a PDF file and hide the button and things that are down the bottom. There are a number of other PDF reader modifications but we are only interested in this one for this post.
  1. Download the iPDF installer package
  2. Unzip on to CF or MMC card
  3. Navigation to your media card and select the ipdf_installers folder
  4. Select "Install jharker's fullscreen ipdf"
  5. Select "Run me to identify the current ipdf"
  6. If you have installed correctly it should display "This looks like the jharker's fullscreen version"
  7. Shutdown and restart you iLiad

Now that the fullscreen PDF is installed how do we use it? Well it only works for PDF files so remember that. Here are some instructions:
  1. Everything works as they do normally
  2. You would probably want to zoom the page first before engaging fullscreen mode
  3. Pressing and holding the UP arrow (not the squiggly one on the top, thats the escape button) will start fullscreen mode.
  4. Short press of the escape button on the top of the device will exit fullscreen mode(when in fullscreen mode)
  5. Another press of the escape button will exit the PDF reader
joelypolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
getting started, howto, iliad