Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-17-2023, 10:53 AM   #16
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It's like the old joke of tourist in Dublin looking for a hotel. The tourist gets a very long explanation and then the Garda (Irish Policeman) ends with, "But I wouldn't start from here."

Yes it a lot of work, but if you have chapters, then set next style for the heading style to be "default body text", copy & past heading, set to Chapter style, hit enter, and then copy paste all the source body text for that chapter to that line (in Unformatted paste mode so current style is used).

A 120K word novel takes less than an hour.

Also learn how to save your styles as a template in LO Writer or Word. I have three templates for three format/styles of epub and also each of those a more complex set of styles for PDF. If the template for the epub and the template for the PDF version use the same names, then copy & paste of entire document works, but the properties of the destination styles are used. Then all I have to do is change the page style applied to each section (as PDFs use many and ebooks only one)

I'm using Calibre 6.9 on Linux Mint 21.2 with Mate Desktop. As an experiment I copied a about 82K word docx to XP with Calibre 1.48 and converted to epub the system TOC and content looked fine in the Viewer.

I used Word till about 2014 then LO Writer on Windows, then Linux full time since Jan 2017 (Though I was using Linux part time in 1998).

I discovered to my own cost in time the problem of typing text into a Desktop Publishing program (which InDesign is). Even before Word or Open Office progressed to being good, I discovered that even if using DTP it was better to edit in ANY wordprocessor and re-import to DTP. I've not used DTP for years because it makes conversion to epub harder and PDF is best for paper publishing and can be produced without InDesign or other DTP easily unless you are working for a magazine or newspaper.

Last edited by Quoth; 11-17-2023 at 11:05 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 02:18 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do not create fixed-layout eBooks. They do not work in most cases.

If you are not creating a fixed layout eBook, take the ePub from InDesign and load it into either the calibre editor or Sigil and edit it. Make the code as simple as possible and make it well formatted with no overall L/R margins.

I've edited plenty of eBooks that have come from InDesign and it's not all that difficult.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2023, 03:34 PM   #18
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Hi, A_Rina:

Question, if I may?

When you say it's breaking and talk about the background, DO YOU MEAN that you expected that The Chapter 1, 1811 TEXT would show up floating over the blue painting background?

Is that what you mean, maybe? Can you show us that page, from your PDF? Beause * think that's what you mean and if it is, we can talk about that.

Guys, I think that s/he means that s/he has text floating atop background images so of course that's "breaking' when it's an ePUB. If that's the case, making this beauty in Word or LO or Bob's Big Word Processor will NOT change that....

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 05:10 PM   #19
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Guys, I think that s/he means that s/he has text floating atop background images
Yep, that's already been established in this post...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...23&postcount=9
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 06:44 PM   #20
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
Yep, that's already been established in this post...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...23&postcount=9
OH, ahah, I somehow either misread it or...whatever.

Okay well...A_Rina, do you still need help?

Hitch
Advert
Old 11-23-2023, 12:54 PM   #21
A_Rina
A_Rina began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
OH, ahah, I somehow either misread it or...whatever.

Okay well...A_Rina, do you still need help?

Hitch
Yeah, I could use some help. I think I'll remove the background and blue blocks (with dates) in the layout. The problem that remains is that the content and frontispiece are getting on top of each other. I'm attaching screenshots! I would like to get an explanation of why this is happening with these pages (the others are displayed normally) and it is important for me to try to fix it myself to understand. The first two screenshots are the broken display of pages, from 3 to 5 - this is how it should be displayed according to the idea, this is a screenshot of the pdf file.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-11-23_20-47-37.png
Views:	35
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	204861   Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-11-23_20-48-46.png
Views:	38
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	204862   Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-11-23_20-50-37.png
Views:	38
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	204863   Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-11-23_20-50-42.png
Views:	37
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	204864   Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-11-23_20-50-46.png
Views:	37
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	204865  
A_Rina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 07:41 PM   #22
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Rina View Post
Yeah, I could use some help. I think I'll remove the background and blue blocks (with dates) in the layout. The problem that remains is that the content and frontispiece are getting on top of each other. I'm attaching screenshots! I would like to get an explanation of why this is happening with these pages (the others are displayed normally) and it is important for me to try to fix it myself to understand. The first two screenshots are the broken display of pages, from 3 to 5 - this is how it should be displayed according to the idea, this is a screenshot of the pdf file.
Hi:

Okay, a few things.

Firstly, how are you separating your pages, sections or chapters? For example, in the one, the page with the image of Van Gogh, it looks as though the pages or sections both before it and after are crowding in on the page, yes?

What exactly, coding-wise, is between those?

In my own ePUBs and in those my company makes, we put individual sections in their own HTML or XHTML files. Like so, as an example:

cover.html (or xhtml)
title.html (ditto)
copy.html (ditto, etc.)
ded.html
for.html
...and so on.

I'm 99% sure that you're NOT doing that; that you're separating your "pages" with..oh, page breaks or empty paragraphs or the like. Try putting your individual front matter sections into their ONW html sections/files and see if that doesn't help enormously.

With regard to the TOC layout, the chapter numbers inside the box--you should really give that up now. It CAN be done, somewhat, but it will never look like what you expect; it won't align with the section or chapter titles, at all. You're...you're banging your head against the wall.

Try those things first and let's see how far you get, eh?

Hitch