Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-03-2019, 01:32 AM   #1
Steyn
Steyn began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Upgrading to the 64bit version

Calibre prevents me from upgrading because I no longer have any previous versions' source files. I am trying to install the latest 64bit version and the current version is a 32bit version. Is there any way to remove ALL traces of previous versions without destroying my Library?
Steyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:06 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyn View Post
Calibre prevents me from upgrading because I no longer have any previous versions' source files. I am trying to install the latest 64bit version and the current version is a 32bit version. Is there any way to remove ALL traces of previous versions without destroying my Library?
The Library is separate from the installation, even uninstalling Calibre leaves the settings and Libraries. (FWIW the default Library is only created when the current Library in the setting can not be found. Since a NEW-first time install has no settings, those are created and then the logick can't find the default Library, so that is created)
Both bit versions can be installed (but only 1 used at a time). I understand cleaning out old stuff, myself

All (most) back versions are available at the download site for each OS.
Look for: "Previous releases of calibre are available here." Under the support Calibre stuff for the OS you want
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2019, 12:34 AM   #3
Steyn
Steyn began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The Library is separate from the installation, even uninstalling Calibre leaves the settings and Libraries. (FWIW the default Library is only created when the current Library in the setting can not be found. Since a NEW-first time install has no settings, those are created and then the logick can't find the default Library, so that is created)
Both bit versions can be installed (but only 1 used at a time). I understand cleaning out old stuff, myself

All (most) back versions are available at the download site for each OS.
Look for: "Previous releases of calibre are available here." Under the support Calibre stuff for the OS you want
Thanks for showing me where to get previous versions. I downloaded the required 3.34.0 and uninstalled the 32-bit version. I tried to install the 64-bit version 3.47.1 but it does create a desktop icon. I looked in the Program Files folder but Calibre never created a folder either. So it never installed. I would like to know the reason and to fix the problem.
Steyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:06 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thanks for showing me where to get previous versions. I downloaded the required 3.34.0 and uninstalled the 32-bit version. I tried to install the 64-bit version 3.47.1 but it does create a desktop icon. I looked in the Program Files folder but Calibre never created a folder either. So it never installed. I would like to know the reason and to fix the problem.
W10 latest security is a bit of a pain, but I have not seen it do a partial (icon only).
Right-click the Icon: Properties: Look at the Target (location)

FWIW there are a few folk that can not (for some undiscovered reason) Install 64bit. The only workarounds: 32 bit and in some cases they must use Calibre Portable (IIRC it is 32 bit also, just does not need to be INSTALLED. Very handy when you are not an admin)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:27 AM   #5
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The only workarounds: 32 bit and in some cases they must use Calibre Portable (IIRC it is 32 bit also, just does not need to be INSTALLED. Very handy when you are not an admin)
Yes, Portable is 32 bit. You can make it 64 bit by copying the Calibre program directory of an installed 64 bit version over the Portable program directory, but that's obviously not going to help when the 64 bit version won't install in the first place
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2019, 02:47 PM   #6
kenmac999
kenmac999 began at the beginning.

Device: FBReader running on Android phone(s), Chromebook, Kindle Fire 7
Quote:
Are you running a 64 bit version of Windows 10? You can verify by heading to Settings > System > About. On the right-hand side of the window, look for the “System type” entry.
kenmac999 is offline   Reply With Quote