Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-02-2018, 09:54 PM   #1
TJ555
TJ555 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad mini
Return the mini and get an Android?

Hi Everyone,
I wrote this out then lost it... so here's the brief version...
Currently: iPad mini 2 16GB
Just bought: mini 4 128GB
Library: 10,000+ majority ePub and PDF (some MOBI)
Reader app: was iBooks, want to move to Marvin
Management: Calibre

Goal: Keep entire library on tablet. Periodically add sets of books to library and sync to tablet. Also use device for apps like Wunderlist/Evernote etc as well so can't just be an ereader.

Loading: Prefer to sideload from cable to PC for speed. Read that loading to Android SD via Calibre Companion is slow due to file structure parsing (is not a deal killer). Couldn't figure out how to load entire library on Mini easily via Calibre content server or Calibre Companion (could only see way to do 1 by 1).

Physical Form: 7"-9" small form. So when I fall asleep reading and it hits my face, it's less painful than a full sized tablet! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Reasons for leaving Apple:
1) iTunes 12.7 stopped allowing books to be synced. I'm currently using File Sharing to add books to Marvin but I think I'll have to "re-add" book files to each reader if I want to be able to read in more than 1 reader.
2) no expandable memory
3) older ipads get wonky with their memory and big chunks are irreclaimable (I have 5+GBs of 'Other' in ipad memory now - that's a big portion of 16GB).

I'm not real familiar with current Android options but am looking at TabA and TabS2.

Thanks in advance!! I only have a couple of days left to return the iPad so I appreciate your comments!
-TJ
TJ555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:01 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I like my TabA. Yes it has a micro SD slot.
That said I know nothing about Apple.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2018, 11:15 PM   #3
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I often read on my Kindle and on my Android phone and my prefered reading app on the phone is Moon+, which won't sync with my Kindle, of course. I've found that syncing between them is trivial if I simply pick a short phrase as I stop reading and then use text search on the book in the other device. That's usually faster than syncing automatically as long as I don't forget the phrase. The phrase in my current book is "cinders and bits". Simple enough to remember and the text search gives me enough context to easily pick the right one if it occurs more than once.

That said, in the past I had an Ipad and an Ipad Mini and I sold both of them. They were just too much trouble in too many ways. They were nice, fast and reliable devices as long as I didn't want to do anything other than the same stuff everybody always does. Sometimes I like doing my own stuff.

I've been using Android tablets ever since. I do have a Galaxy Tab A 10" with S Pen and it's an excellent tablet. I suspect you're looking into the 8" version and I don't know much about that but I've had a number of Samsung tablets over the years and all have been excellent.

My real preference is for Asus tablets. They've also been excellent and they modify Android less and that makes them more straightforward to use. I got this Samsung because I wanted one I could draw with and it's great for that. It gets the best battery life of any tablet I've owned. The thing I don't like about it, and this has been true of my past Samsung tablets as well, is the capacative back and app buttons that I'm always accidentally hitting and finding myself out of whatever I'm doing. Dumb! Dumb! Dumb! Samsung!

The newest Asus tablet seems to have done the same thing. Lots of dumbness around.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:37 AM   #4
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ555 View Post
1) iTunes 12.7 stopped allowing books to be synced. I'm currently using File Sharing to add books to Marvin but I think I'll have to "re-add" book files to each reader if I want to be able to read in more than 1 reader.
2) no expandable memory
3) older ipads get wonky with their memory and big chunks are irreclaimable (I have 5+GBs of 'Other' in ipad memory now - that's a big portion of 16GB).
#1 is literally incomprehensible to me. Sounds like file sharing is very restricted. This, for me, would be a reason to never have anything to do with anything Apple has to offer and be happy that I never had anything to do with it.

#2 - expandable memory (like microSD or USB stick or such) is a must. How can anyone who needs to save and backup files regularly live without it?

Android devices (almost all, but certainly the famous ones like Samsung Galaxy Tab, Lenovo Tab, Asus...) have expandable memory where you can transfer files from and to in many ways and across all operating systems that your PC might have, but most notably this standard way:

1. Connect the tablet/smartphone to PC.
2. In the tablet/smartphone, press Allow or Accept (to the PC's attempt to access your tablet/smartphone).
3. On PC, automatic recognition of a new volume follows. Open the file browser to see the volume and perform any operation there you like.
4. If the tablet/smartphone has internal memory+expansion card like microSD, both will show up in PC.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:27 AM   #5
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
#1 is literally incomprehensible to me. Sounds like file sharing is very restricted. This, for me, would be a reason to never have anything to do with anything Apple has to offer and be happy that I never had anything to do with it.

#2 - expandable memory (like microSD or USB stick or such) is a must. How can anyone who needs to save and backup files regularly live without it?

Android devices (almost all, but certainly the famous ones like Samsung Galaxy Tab, Lenovo Tab, Asus...) have expandable memory where you can transfer files from and to in many ways and across all operating systems that your PC might have, but most notably this standard way:

1. Connect the tablet/smartphone to PC.
2. In the tablet/smartphone, press Allow or Accept (to the PC's attempt to access your tablet/smartphone).
3. On PC, automatic recognition of a new volume follows. Open the file browser to see the volume and perform any operation there you like.
4. If the tablet/smartphone has internal memory+expansion card like microSD, both will show up in PC.
There are lightning / USB sticks for Apple products that can used for backup. Stick the lightning end in the i-device, copy files to it, stick the USB end into a PC, read or copy files off.

I've never been an apple fan. But one thing is making me more interested now. I've been disgusted with the lack of security updates that most Android devices get. Apple is far better at timely and continuing updates. I still use Android for entertainment and reading. But I got an iPhone SE to use just as a phone and run my banking app.

Last edited by Alohamora; 01-03-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2018, 08:58 AM   #6
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
There are lightning / USB sticks for Apple products that can used for backup. Stick the lightning end in the i-device, copy files to it, stick the USB end into a PC, read or copy files off.
Sticks that work only with Apple products/hardware? Am I reading this right? If so, then the Apple universe is worse than I suspected.

Last edited by mobama; 01-03-2018 at 09:03 AM.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:24 AM   #7
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Hi Everyone,
I wrote this out then lost it... so here's the brief version...
Currently: iPad mini 2 16GB
Just bought: mini 4 128GB
Library: 10,000+ majority ePub and PDF (some MOBI)
Reader app: was iBooks, want to move to Marvin
Management: Calibre

Goal: Keep entire library on tablet. Periodically add sets of books to library and sync to tablet. Also use device for apps like Wunderlist/Evernote etc as well so can't just be an ereader.

Loading: Prefer to sideload from cable to PC for speed. Read that loading to Android SD via Calibre Companion is slow due to file structure parsing (is not a deal killer). Couldn't figure out how to load entire library on Mini easily via Calibre content server or Calibre Companion (could only see way to do 1 by 1).

Physical Form: 7"-9" small form. So when I fall asleep reading and it hits my face, it's less painful than a full sized tablet! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

2) no expandable memory

I'm not real familiar with current Android options but am looking at TabA and TabS2.

Thanks in advance!! I only have a couple of days left to return the iPad so I appreciate your comments!
-TJ
I'm pretty sure that Marvin only works with iThings, so if you want to switch to Android, you'll have to find a different reading app. Moon+ Reader is good, and can sync between other devices (as long as they're all running android and using Moon+, of course)

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:30 AM   #8
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I have no problems moving files to or from my iPad. Dropbox works great, and iCloud also keeps stuff synced up well. I can make a document or spreadsheet on any of my iDevices, and access it on any of the others. Non-apple documents and files are easily moved around using Dropbox.

It is normal for storage on a 16gb to have 5gb or so not available to the end user. The 16 Fires have a bit over 5gb used by the os.

I'm hard pressed to think of anything I've needed to do on my ipad that I wasn't able to do.

I do pay $.99 per month for an extra 50gb of storage. But my iPad Pro, Mini 4, and 7+ all have more than 16gb on board storage. My husband uses my Apple account for his phone and older iPad, so we end up with a lot of photos between the two of us.

I don't use iTunes for anything.

Getting Calibre Companion fully synced up with my Lenovo AIO took some time the very first time I did it, now it it easy to keep it updated. I think I sent 100 books at a time.

I don't use any Fire tablets now, but I was a fan back when they were first released. It's been years since I've used an android tablet, but I never did like android. Once I used an iPhone fir the first time, a 4s, I never looked back. We still use the 4s when the grandkids are here to run some games they like.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:37 AM   #9
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I have a Lenovo A10 70 and my wife has the equivalent 8" tablet. These aren't the high end Yoga tablets but solid "generic" android devices. We like them very much. Both tablets have an SD slot (not micro). I used to store many books on the tablet itself, but have since moved them to Microsoft OneDrive.

I use both the Kindle app and the epub Moon Reader Pro. Moon Reader claims it's only for smartphones, but it works just fine on my Lenovo.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:43 AM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
For others that may read this and think it is really irreclaimable. You can reclaim the lost memory.
1. Backup your device using iTunes
2. Reset your device.
3. Restore your backup using iTunes.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:11 PM   #11
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
The iPad 2 mini, if I remember correctly, has a little over 12gb available to the user on a 16gb device.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:18 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Use Calibre and get Calibre Companion for iOS. Problem solved.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:26 PM   #13
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post

I've never been an apple fan. But one thing is making me more interested now. I've been disgusted with the lack of security updates that most Android devices get. Apple is far better at timely and continuing updates. I still use Android for entertainment and reading. But I got an iPhone SE to use just as a phone and run my banking app.
BUT be sure & check the actual memory on the usb stick for 'other'. I found that only about 10% or 20% is available for 'other'; the huge chunk is partitioned separately for video & audio. And I think that ios will enforce what goes into the video & audio partitions.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:31 PM   #14
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
For others that may read this and think it is really irreclaimable. You can reclaim the lost memory.
1. Backup your device using iTunes
2. Reset your device.
3. Restore your backup using iTunes.

Dale
Another method is to do a "shutdown" & reclaim the used cache memory. However, I don't know of a way to check what is 'stored' in cache & 'real' memory. I did lose a book because of that but it could have been a library book using Overdrive & not one that is copied for Calibre Companion to the epub reader for reading.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:53 PM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I have a Lenovo A10 70 and my wife has the equivalent 8" tablet. These aren't the high end Yoga tablets but solid "generic" android devices. We like them very much. Both tablets have an SD slot (not micro). I used to store many books on the tablet itself, but have since moved them to Microsoft OneDrive.

I use both the Kindle app and the epub Moon Reader Pro. Moon Reader claims it's only for smartphones, but it works just fine on my Lenovo.
Moon Reader works great on tablets. I hadn't seen the only for smartphone claim.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote