Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-07-2016, 01:44 PM   #1
Pachuqismo
Enthusiast
Pachuqismo began at the beginning.

Device: SM-T820, Galaxy S7
ePub-Handler for Windows Explorer

It seems amazing to me that the explosion of tablet readers and, for many people the frequent associated manipulation of ePub files, has not sparked Microsoft to add ePub metadata to the Details pane of its Explorer's File Properties window.

I've looked in vain for a Windows Explorer plugin that will populate the Details pane of its Properties windows. This way relevant information for an ePub could be be shown in Explorer and, even better, in Explorer replacements such as Directory Opus, XYplorer, Total Commander, etc.

A great advantage would be that not only your library manager (e.g. Calibre), but also your preferred file manager would display relevant (and missing data) for ePubs. For instance, I find that Calibre often cannot add metadata to a new book if it doesn't already contain an ISBN number.

An example of such a capability was done years ago with the Alissa's Mobihandler. However, the Mobihandler did not include Subject data, which for home libraries would represent a very all important Tag (to use Calibre terminology). Likewise, as already mentioned above, knowing early on if the ISBN is already included saves time.

I have some 4,000 books in Calibre and use COPS to make them available on a modest home server. Being able to see in my file manager an automatic pop up (i.e. Info Tip) with already available key ePub metadata, would be a great feature. For ePubs such data can presently be made to include only a thumb print.

Would anyone know how to go about creating such a plugin?
Pachuqismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:13 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I hope this never happens. I hate the metadata display for audio files.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert