Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-21-2011, 06:06 AM   #1
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Switched from 2.1 to 1.6.... is it me or....

Does the 1.6 format seem to work more smoothly on the library pages, turning pages in the book and the accelerometer seems a bit more stable...

question? any way to get rid of the margins from mobi...tried epub to ebpub to mobi with Calbre..but not so impressive...resultwise..
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:27 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Going ePub > ePub via Calibre is a crap shoot at best. Don't bother.

As for the margins in Mobi, they are hard coded into the firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2011, 06:51 AM   #3
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanx JS... Figured it could not be changed that much...been trying to all afternoon. Will most likely go back to epub on the Opus..just thought I'd try it out...

Yes epub to epub is a crap shoot... I even do more .lrf and rtf for my 350 than I thought I would...
Old 08-21-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Tastes differ! I very much dislike the way of the epub firmware that it doesn't set any margins automatically and I really like the mobi firmware for setting these margins! I think with margins a book page looks extremely better, but that's of course a personal opinion.

To get to a more "impartial" ground: the mobi version is very, very stable and it offers the additional advantage of using a dictionary, but I don't know if this is important for you.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
hidari
MR Drone

well had the Gen3 for a while...so aware of the dictionary and the bookmarks...plan to give mobi a go for a while...good points... I have a Sony 350 as well.. so happy enuf to read lrf, rtf and epub on that one...

I actually am finding that the Opus seems to be working better with mobi as appossed to epub..but maybe my impressons are to early to tell
Advert
Old 08-22-2011, 02:22 AM   #6
JanG
Groupie
JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Laptop; Kobo Clara
I'm a diehard mobi fan. When I got my Opus I actually checked out the free books that came with it in ePub. I really disliked the way they looked. I downloaded a friend's book from Feedbooks in ePub and checked the way it looked on the Opus. Nah. I switched to mobi. Much better. So much easier on the eyes.

I even hate reading ePubs on the computer, whether with Adobe or Firefox reader. I used to read on my computer with mobipocket reader long before I got my first ereader.

I think it's a bit like whether you like Macs or IBM clone computers (showing my age here); you're either one or the other, never both.

--Jan.
JanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:41 AM   #7
hidari
MR Drone

well Jan... I used to read Mobi when I had a gen3....so now going retro for a while to see how it compares....so far enjoying mobi again on my second novel in two days and so far so mobi....
Old 08-22-2011, 04:07 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Tastes differ! I very much dislike the way of the epub firmware that it doesn't set any margins automatically
But it does, though wrongly. It has default "body" margins, which means you see default left and right margins for every page, and some top margin only on the first page of each "chapter".
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:21 AM   #9
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But the default is "0", isn't it?

I can adjust the margins in the css file but it would be nice if one could set them on the device itself (like CoolReader on the Pocketbook devices permits it to a certain degree).
Old 08-22-2011, 05:32 AM   #10
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:

I can adjust the margins in the css file but it would be nice if one could set them on the device itself (like CoolReader on the Pocketbook devices permits it to a certain degree).
I usually st the margin on the ePub via the ade page template.
top : 0.5em, left, right, bottom 0em.
And set the margin on the css to zero.

Without page template, the opus will glue the text on the top.
It's hard to get the margin right, as css will allow to set them in multiple way. Maybe the IPDF should set this once and for all.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 08-22-2011 at 05:36 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:24 AM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
No, it's some non-zero value. But, as I said, it seems it's applied to <body>, so it's only visible at the sides. At least that's what it was in the Gen3, I assume the Opus is the same in this respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter
I usually st the margin on the ePub via the ade page template.
top : 0.5em, left, right, bottom 0em.
And set the margin on the css to zero.
You don't need the page template. You can remove body margins with:

Code:
html body { margin: 0 }
(you have to use "html body" instead of just "body", to give it a higher priority, or use a class; otherwise the default margins are not overriden)

and then set your preferred margins with:

Code:
@page { margin: 3mm }
(better set it in absolute units, not font-dependent ones).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #12
Billi
Wizard

Thanks for the clarification, Jellby!
Old 08-24-2011, 04:58 AM   #13
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I've been reading mobi on my Opus almost since I bought it. Lately I tried going back to ePub, it lasted about 10 minutes, lol. I have nothing against ePub and I appreciate the fact that it's not proprietary, but there's way too much margin for the publishers to mess up my reading experience. And talking about margins, yes they are one of the problems, the other being fonts.

This is probably just an illusion, but I felt, during the very short time I used it, that the ePub version was much slower than the mobi version. Anybody felt the same?
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:05 AM   #14
hidari
MR Drone

mmm. That is what I thought...But Now after a few days and a few novels in .mobi..I am back to epub...and think the speed depends on the file.... personally the margins in .mobi.. I fined annoying to say the least...a complete waste of screen space.... I set my epubs to 1 point margin; left, right, top and bottom and delete spaces between paragraphs and get heaps more words for my 5 inch screen. i know some would be abhored by this but Ifindspacingtobeawaste.... haha...well not all spacing....
Old 08-24-2011, 07:11 AM   #15
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I don't mind the margins, in fact it annoys me a little when there is none (as somebody said, everyone is different), but the main problem with ePub is that one book will have no margin, and the other will have huge margins that eat up half the screen. Same with the fonts, they are all different and different sizes. I often read several books at the same time, and I don't want to have to adjust the Opus' font size each time I open a different book.

I suppose it's the same with paper books (different fonts and layouts), but then paper books are produced by professionals who know to avoid combinations that hinder reading. When ePubs are produced by people who know what they're doing, I will gladly switch.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote