Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-09-2022, 03:40 AM   #1
1v4n0
Groupie
1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: kindle
Post Bulk-check ebook collection for edited XHTML files

I have a big collection of epub ebooks, in the thousands let's say. Most of them are retail (original), and some of them have been surreptitiously edited, after being bought, to add some text within the flow of the book to advertise some website or service (this is obviously very annoying when reading).
One way to know whether a book has been messed with is opening it with winrar and checking whether all the xhtml files in the "OEBPS/text" folder have been last edited at the same date and time - the files that show a different date and time are the ones that I'm targeting.
I'm looking for a way to bulk-check the whole collection, without having to check every single file. Is it possible?

Thank you.
1v4n0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 09:52 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The OPF may have been tagged if the modification was done with an e-book aware tool.
eg
<dc:date opf:event="modification">2022-12-09</dc:date>
As usual, these take on different forms, but are usually obvious to the human reading the code.
I guess you could build a code library of the variations for your check tool.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 04:40 AM   #3
oldboys
oldboys has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oldboys has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oldboys has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oldboys has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kobo
I know this is an old question, but it seemed interesting from a programming perspective. I write a small application for it, try it.

(sorry for my bad english)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	199124  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Epub_modification.zip (1.64 MB, 92 views)

Last edited by oldboys; 01-19-2023 at 04:42 AM.
oldboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 09:05 AM   #4
1v4n0
Groupie
1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Wow, it works. Thank you very much for the great work!
(I got a lot of "epub metadata read error", not sure exactly what that means)

Last edited by 1v4n0; 01-19-2023 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-19-2023, 01:44 PM   #5
oldboys
oldboys has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oldboys has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oldboys has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oldboys has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kobo
(I got a lot of "epub metadata read error", not sure exactly what that means)

It cannot read the metadata of the given epub
All kidding aside, check the epub file with Sigil or use the "Add Folder" or "Add Folder with Subfolders" menu items.

I'm glad I could help
oldboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 03:12 AM   #6
1v4n0
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The OPF may have been tagged if the modification was done with an e-book aware tool.
eg
<dc:date opf:event="modification">2022-12-09</dc:date>
As usual, these take on different forms, but are usually obvious to the human reading the code.
I guess you could build a code library of the variations for your check tool.
Sorry for the gravedigging. Do you think there is a way to bulk-check the OPF files in a whole collection?
Old 11-22-2023, 06:54 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Ask in Calibre subsection.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote