Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 02-27-2010, 10:34 PM   #1
zeniq
The IT guy
zeniq began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader Pocket Pro [white]
Problem after firmware update

So. I got my Pocket Pro 3 days ago, and I have been loving it. I've read more in these 3 days than I have in the past 3 years. Unfortunately, I seem to have run into some problems.

A lot of my ebooks are in .lit format. I had no problem opening and reading them when I first had the reader. However, this evening I decided it was time to perform a firmware upgrade. The upgrade seemed to go without a hitch.

However, now that the update is compete, I can't open .lit files! Epub files open just fine, but when I select a .lit file, the hourglass shows up by the file, and the light flashes briefly green, and then... nothing.

I was thinking that maybe the file was just taking a while to open, but I left it for about 10 minutes and the screen never changed. So I hit the power button, and the lock screen came on. I hit the power button again, and nothing would happen, it stayed on the lock screen. However, the light would blink green to show that I was pressing buttons. I ended up having to use the reset button.

So after that, It came back up and would open epub files, but not .lits again. This time, the lock screen would come up, but wouldn't go away again, but I was able to shut it off with the power button, and the "Closing library" screen came up.

Does anyone have any suggestions or what I can do? I'm hoping that the firmware upgrade didn't break capability to read .lit files, because about 80% of my ebook library is in that format. I guess I can just convert them to epub with Calibre, but that will be a huge pain.
zeniq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:20 PM   #2
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
The Astak readers really have problems with LIT files. My suggestion would be to convert them to ePUB format. Also, if you have DRM'd LITs, they will not open on the Astak readers since DRM LIT books are not supported.

You can do a batch conversion using Calibre and it's quite fast and pretty easy. (I've done a batch conversion for some MOBI books.)
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2010, 11:24 PM   #3
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
There is a known problem with Astak readers and LIT format. They just don't work. At least that is what I have found. If it worked previously before your firmware update maybe flash it back to older firmware if possible and see if that solves your problem. Otherwise converting will be your only option.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I had found (no DRM) LIT files to be un-reliable
They would open and allow you to start reading, but prone to locking up the PEz after periods of user inactivity.

I tend to convert the files to EPUB using Calibre with great success.

Size does matter Small files <200K seemed to have less problems for me.

I am using the November FW (with non-visible clock), as I thought the Dec 09 FW was really slugish. Different people seem to get different results, which is even more strange to me.
You might try a fresh download (do not use the same copy you had) and Flash again.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #5
zeniq
The IT guy
zeniq began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader Pocket Pro [white]
Thanks for the tips everyone. I didn't realize that .lit files were such a problem. I'll convert my library to epub.

Oddly enough, about an hour after I submitted the post, my reader suddenly let me open my .lit files again. I don't think I will trust it though, I'll just convert it all.
zeniq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2010, 09:01 PM   #6
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Please see new post today

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeniq View Post
Thanks for the tips everyone. I didn't realize that .lit files were such a problem. I'll convert my library to epub.

Oddly enough, about an hour after I submitted the post, my reader suddenly let me open my .lit files again. I don't think I will trust it though, I'll just convert it all.
Dear All:

A new firmware upgrade is coming next week that will greatly add speed and useability for .LIT files! I just posted that news today!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote