Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Here are your second chance selections from 2015:
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green 4 16.00%
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro 3 12.00%
Lost Horizon by James Hilton 4 16.00%
The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells 7 28.00%
The Case of the Silent Partner by Erle Stanley Gardner 5 20.00%
The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker 8 32.00%
Pitching in a Pinch by Christy Mathewson 3 12.00%
The Martian by Andy Weir 4 16.00%
The Golden Compass (UK title: Northern Lights) by Philip Pullman 9 36.00%
The Virginian by Owen Wister 3 12.00%
Inspector Imanishi Investigates by Seicho Matsumoto 6 24.00%
Close Range: Wyoming Stories by Annie Proulx 2 8.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-2015, 02:34 AM   #16
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'll sit this one out. I liked the book, but I'm not terribly interested in re-reading it at this point.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:45 AM   #17
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
The film has some good moments but the plot of the novel has been condensed quite a bit.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2015, 08:07 AM   #18
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
That was a close one, but The Golden Compass wins.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:48 AM   #19
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm hoping The Golem and the Jinni gets a little more love. I'm didn't vote for it, but I'm willing to give it a try.
It may not have won, but I can certainly recommend The Golem and the Jinni. An excellent fantasy.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:04 AM   #20
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It may not have won, but I can certainly recommend The Golem and the Jinni. An excellent fantasy.
Well, I'll add it to my TBB list. Why not, I already have an absolutely horrendous number of books on my TBR, so buying another? Why not.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2016, 11:06 AM   #21
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Well, I'll add it to my TBB list. Why not, I already have an absolutely horrendous number of books on my TBR, so buying another? Why not.
I read it in January last year. It was one of the best of my reading year, a very solid 5/5.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:12 AM   #22
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Arggh. Still >$10, and not available at my library.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:35 AM   #23
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Quote:
I got on waiting lists at OverDrive when it was nominated; I think one of my holds is going to bubble to the top shortly. I'm looking forward to giving it a try; certainly the recommendations are stellar and I'm a sucker for books set in New York (so long as the author gets it right) which clinched it, even though fantasy isn't usually my thing.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:51 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I too have The Golem and the Jinni on reserve. But I am next in line.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:28 PM   #25
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Arggh. Still >$10, and not available at my library.
I'd recommend waiting a year and seeing if it goes on special offer at some point. You can use luzme.com to send you an alert if it goes on offer.

After all, I'm sure you have lots of other books to read.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:11 PM   #26
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Is that understatement?
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:12 AM   #27
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I got on waiting lists at OverDrive when it was nominated; I think one of my holds is going to bubble to the top shortly. I'm looking forward to giving it a try; certainly the recommendations are stellar and I'm a sucker for books set in New York (so long as the author gets it right) which clinched it, even though fantasy isn't usually my thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I too have The Golem and the Jinni on reserve. But I am next in line.
Quote:
I'd recommend waiting a year and seeing if it goes on special offer at some point. You can use luzme.com to send you an alert if it goes on offer.

After all, I'm sure you have lots of other books to read.
Unfortunately, the BC Library system is a bit of a different kettle of fish. So not much I can do there.

But Paul's suggestion is what I will likely do -- as he says, it's not as if I don't have any other books to read.

Thanks, all.