Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-25-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
Lazaras
Enthusiast
Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Glowlight
[e-ink] New Nook Owner, No Credit Card

As the tital suggests I now have an e-ink nook. I have some sideloaded content (the pdf manuals to a few different things, a few of the classics, cory doctorow's stuff, a PDF version of my book in progress... since i hadn't converted it to epub yet.)

Saw LOTS of free stuff at B&N. I like that they have a free section and promotions. Trouble is even their free material is out of my reach because i've no credit card.

Any idea on what my options are?
Lazaras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazaras View Post
Any idea on what my options are?
Congratulations on your new toy. There are quite a few sites where public domain books can be downloaded for free. Some include:And don't forget the public library. If you belong to a participating library, you can checkout ebooks for free. Let us know if you need help here and we can get you started.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's an index of some of the available sources for free ebooks:

Free eBooks
Old 12-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
Lazaras
Enthusiast
Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd actually gotten a few from Google Books. What puzzles me is I'm seeingseveral at B&N that... yea. Pride and Predjiduce and Zombies? QST? Are these trial bits?

Then again I couldn't even download Dracula from them.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:01 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I'd actually gotten a few from Google Books. What puzzles me is I'm seeingseveral at B&N that... yea. Pride and Predjiduce and Zombies? QST? Are these trial bits?

Then again I couldn't even download Dracula from them.
Yeah, B&N demands a credit card; even for the free stuff. As to P&P&Z, it's only chapter one.

Have you considered library books?
Advert
Old 12-25-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Don't forget that the NOOK supports Adobe DRM (encryption), as well as B&N DRM. This means that other ebook stores are worth checking out for free offers, see eBook stores that use PayPal?.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:33 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Get a pre-paid Visa, then refill it as needed
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #8
Lazaras
Enthusiast

Thing that bugs me is that I can't even get a firmware update. Is the latest a noticable improvement?

Also epub > PDF preformance on this thing.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:16 PM   #9
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Debit card or a pre paid visa should do the trick
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
Lazaras
Enthusiast

Also have a 1003 nook, so rooting looks more tha na little involved at the moment. Gonna wait see if it gets any simpler over time. Should i go ahead and go with the 1.5 firmware in the meantime or would that hurt rootability?
Old 12-25-2010, 08:46 PM   #11
Kolfe
Enthusiast
Kolfe began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Also have a 1003 nook, so rooting looks more tha na little involved at the moment. Gonna wait see if it gets any simpler over time. Should i go ahead and go with the 1.5 firmware in the meantime or would that hurt rootability?
You can't root a 1.5 nook. You can only root a 1.4X firmware nook, so if you want to root don't update yet.

First root your nook, then update the firmware so you can have the benefits of both, root & 1.5 firmware.
Kolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:09 PM   #12
Snard
Snard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Snard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Snard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Snard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color
I received a B&N gift card for Christmas, and was able to apply it to my account for future purchases (although they do give a disclaimer that it cannot be used for magazine or newspaper subscriptions). I also have a credit card on my account, so I don't know if a gift card would be sufficient for enabling purchases.
Snard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:04 PM   #13
Lazaras
Enthusiast

Nope. Gift cards cannot be used as a primary credit card on record (first thingI tried.) Waiting till monday or whenever things normalize to try getting in touch with the bank (havne't used my debit card in... years... so I don't know if it's either valid or what hte proceedure is.)

In the meantime quite happy. Plus I like the screensaver/backgrounds i've put in.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:22 AM   #14
kmack
kmack has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, EBW-1150
I keep a separate "internet" checking account at a local bank and use the debit card from that account for all my on-line purchases and PayPal. I keep the bare minimum of cash in it to keep from getting service fees and transfer cash to it as needed. It's most handy and helps keep a check on impulse buying.
kmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:57 AM   #15
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Nope. Gift cards cannot be used as a primary credit card on record (first thingI tried.) Waiting till monday or whenever things normalize to try getting in touch with the bank (havne't used my debit card in... years... so I don't know if it's either valid or what hte proceedure is.)

In the meantime quite happy. Plus I like the screensaver/backgrounds i've put in.
I was going to say that most bank debit cards are also capable of acting as Visa cards. My bank's been like this for over a decade now with their debit cards, and comes in handy at times. My debit card expires every 4y or so just like a credit card would, but they automatically send out a new card a few weeks before the old expires.

But even if not, like others have mentioned pick up a pre-paid VISA and use that if nothing else...
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote