Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #31
Tachikoma
Connoisseur
Tachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Glo
Just got the update in the UK, will test it proper in the morning and report and bugs.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #32
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
One little addition: you no longer have to put http:\\ in front of web addresses in the browser. You can just put the www. address and it works.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #33
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
The fast sleep issue is fixed.
YAY!!!
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:15 PM   #34
roycymru
Connoisseur
roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Kobo Touch
First bugs of 2.5 (what a surprise!)

Updated in UK via wifi. 2 issues

Got to 100% download,, then got stuck. Had to do a hard reset for the update to install

Adjusting fonts is flaky and slow. Can get stuck for ages when it tries to apply any changes you make. Making changes via advanced settings seems a bit more reliable, although, again, referesh of screen to show any changes is painfully slow. Can anyone confirm this bug?
roycymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #35
Woodstonian
Connoisseur
Woodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the party

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I had the same problem with the download and update. Had to do a pin reset before it would update with what it downloaded. A couple of tries with the Font adjustments and did not see any difference vs 2.4.0
Woodstonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #36
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
I spoke too soon, looks like cailbre cannot update the cover page with the 2.5 software.

For example:
If I had a book called ABC Vol.2 and changed the cover page, the change won't be reflected the device.

If I renamed the book ABC Volume 2, the cover page does change.
I have the updated firmware, so I'll have a look at what is happening.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #37
Woodstonian
Connoisseur
Woodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the party

Bookmarks, Annotations and Notes ... still borked

I still have these long-standing problems with Bookmarks and Notes.
1) Place a bookmark, open Annotations, the Bookmark shows with correct % into chapter but the Chapter Name at the top is wrong.
2) Open "Add Note" and enter a note, tap "Save", note is shown on Annotations page. Power off/on, open the book, open Annotations, the Bookmark is back to 0% into chapter and the Note is gone.
3) Bookmarks are in some unknown (random?) order as shown by the Created date.

I don't recall seeing much in the way of discussion of this mess. It's been this way for at least the last 3 updates. Are there workarounds or something that I have missed?
Old 04-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #38
mdclements
Kobo Developer
mdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstonian View Post
I had the same problem with the download and update. Had to do a pin reset before it would update with what it downloaded. A couple of tries with the Font adjustments and did not see any difference vs 2.4.0
Was there a stack trace file created in the .kobo folder? If so please PM it to me
mdclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #39
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstonian View Post
I still have these long-standing problems with Bookmarks and Notes.
1) Place a bookmark, open Annotations, the Bookmark shows with correct % into chapter but the Chapter Name at the top is wrong.
2) Open "Add Note" and enter a note, tap "Save", note is shown on Annotations page. Power off/on, open the book, open Annotations, the Bookmark is back to 0% into chapter and the Note is gone.
3) Bookmarks are in some unknown (random?) order as shown by the Created date.

I don't recall seeing much in the way of discussion of this mess. It's been this way for at least the last 3 updates. Are there workarounds or something that I have missed?
As far as I can tell, this has been there in all firmware versions for the Touch. Kobo definitely know about it as I wrote a very detailed analysis of the problem that they have definitely seen. And, you only need to close and reopen the book to mess the bookmarks up. If this is important to you, put the books in the SD card. Bookmarks there are handled slightly differently and don't get messed up.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #40
Woodstonian
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdclements View Post
Was there a stack trace file created in the .kobo folder? If so please PM it to me
Sent.

Gil.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #41
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

SD cards and Covers

2.5.0 changes the cover handling for books on the SD card. They are now generated and stored on the card. This improves the navigation speed through the library lists once the images have been generated.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #42
Woodstonian
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As far as I can tell, this has been there in all firmware versions for the Touch. Kobo definitely know about it as I wrote a very detailed analysis of the problem that they have definitely seen. And, you only need to close and reopen the book to mess the bookmarks up. If this is important to you, put the books in the SD card. Bookmarks there are handled slightly differently and don't get messed up.
Thanks. I don't have and SD card, but will consider it.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #43
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
I am getting inconsistent results on how book covers are generated using Calibre.

Some books are side loaded okay, while some are not.

If I use Cailbre to side load my book onto the SD Card, the book cover may not generate. I just get a blank cover.

If I manually copy the book to the device without using Calibre, the cover seem to generate okay.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #44
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
I spoke too soon, looks like cailbre cannot update the cover page with the 2.5 software.

For example:
If I had a book called ABC Vol.2 and changed the cover page, the change won't be reflected the device.

If I renamed the book ABC Volume 2, the cover page does change.
OK, I have had a play, and I can't see a difference in the behaviour from 2.4.0. Here is what I believe is happening.

Firstly, the Kobo devices processes each sideloaded book the first time it sees the book. This puts details in the internal database. This includes the metadata and the TOC. If a book is replaced, it isn't reprocessed to update the database.

For covers, the device generates the cover from the first page of sideloaded epubs. This is done the first time the cover is needed. Covers are generated in three difference sizes for use in different places: the lists, the home page and sleep cover, and the details page. Once the covers are generated, if the book is replaced, the covers are not regenerated.

You can force the covers to be regenerated by deleting the saved image files. The next time the covers are needed, they will be generated again. There is of course a "but".

For books on the Home screen, the covers are a bit more "sticky". I have deleted the cover image files, or replaced them with different images, disconnected from the PC and the covers didn't change. Navigating away from the home screen and back, will still not change the covers. But, powering off and back on again will always get the new covers displayed.

If you update a book on the device using calibre, it will remove or replace the current cover images on the device. But, it has no way to force the update of the memory copy of the covers. The only way to do this is to power off. It will also happen when you open enough books to force it off the home page.

If you sideload the book without using calibre, then the old covers image files are not removed. That means the device will keep using the cover from the old version of the book. To fix that, you need to manually remove the cover images or delete the book and sideload it again.

If the above doesn't match what you are seeing, then we'll have to look into it. But, it should be in a separate thread.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:03 AM   #45
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
OK, I have had a play, and I can't see a difference in the behaviour from 2.4.0. Here is what I believe is happening.

If the above doesn't match what you are seeing, then we'll have to look into it. But, it should be in a separate thread.
Thank you for the insight.

I did some drastic measures and reformatted the SD Card.

I reload all my books onto the device again and the covers seem to generate correctly this time.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote