Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 03-31-2022, 06:18 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I don’t mind - in fact, I prefer - using apps to listen to audiobooks on dry land. But a waterproof MP3 player was a gamechanger for me; I can’t imagine swimming without audiobooks now. And if you can no longer download OD books and transfer them, I will be deeply, deeply unhappy. I’ve got OD on a Windows 7 laptop which is pretty shaky; I hope it holds out.
Even if the laptop dies on you, OD still works on Windows 11. So all you need is another computer with Windows.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 06:20 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
There is no way to download audiobooks with Libby. You have to use the Libby app to listen, and the Libby audiobook player is pretty terrible, IMO. It doesn't look like this is going to change, either. So as Catlady says, we're going to have to "use a stupid app" when they finally phase out Overdrive.

However, Libby does provide an option to download .acsm files so that you can download an ebook using ADE. So at least you aren't forced to use Libby to read ebooks, just audiobooks.
You don't need Libby to download .acsm files. You can do it with a web browser.
Advert
Old 03-31-2022, 10:16 AM   #18
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
BTW, I'm sure someone must have provided a link somewhere above, but just in case: I do have the Overdrive media console desktop app installation MSI file that I downloaded for my Win 10 systems last June if any one needs.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 10:34 AM   #19
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
There is no way to download audiobooks with Libby. You have to use the Libby app to listen, and the Libby audiobook player is pretty terrible, IMO. It doesn't look like this is going to change, either. So as Catlady says, we're going to have to "use a stupid app" when they finally phase out Overdrive.

However, Libby does provide an option to download .acsm files so that you can download an ebook using ADE. So at least you aren't forced to use Libby to read ebooks, just audiobooks.
Well, that is a bummer.

It's the audiobooks that concern me; for one thing, there's only so much memory and audio files use up a lot of it. Some apps don't allow download to an SD card--e.g., Hoopla's supposed to, but even when I set it to do so, it won't. Plus I do not want to be forced to use my cell phone to listen when I'm doing household chores; if I drop my phone or get it wet, I'm out big bucks, but if I accidentally damage my mp3 player, it's a modest cost for a replacement.

Ebooks are less of an issue. Mostly when I borrow one, it's to check illustrations and/or footnotes if the audiobook doesn't have supplemental material. Though I would not be happy if I had to use Libby for ebooks, I could cope with it.

I hate it when the powers-that-be decide to "improve" stuff that works perfectly well!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 10:41 AM   #20
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I hate it when the powers-that-be decide to "improve" stuff that works perfectly well!

All they are trying to "improve" is the control they have and their bottom line.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2022, 11:51 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
BTW, I'm sure someone must have provided a link somewhere above, but just in case: I do have the Overdrive media console desktop app installation MSI file that I downloaded for my Win 10 systems last June if any one needs.
I did post a link in post #4 of this thread. It will expire 7 days after being posted.
Old 03-31-2022, 11:52 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Well, that is a bummer.
That's wrong, Libby does allow you to download eBooks so you do not have to stream. I have an audiobook downloaded on my phone right now that was downloaded using Libby.
Old 03-31-2022, 01:17 PM   #23
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You don't need Libby to download .acsm files. You can do it with a web browser.
Yes, I'm aware of that. I was highlighting what the Libby app can and cannot do. What's unclear is how far Overdrive is going with Libby. They are planning to phase out the Overdrive mobile and desktop apps with a stated target date of end of 2022. Will they also be replacing the Overdrive browser interface with the Libby browser interface? Who knows!

Quote:
That's wrong, Libby does allow you to download eBooks so you do not have to stream. I have an audiobook downloaded on my phone right now that was downloaded using Libby.
You're missing the point. Catlady's concern was being able to download mp3 files to transfer to an mp3 player, and there is no Libby desktop app that allows you to do that. You must listen to audiobooks using the Libby mobile app or Libby browser app. You can download audiobooks to the Libby mobile app for offline listening within the Libby app, but there does not appear to be a sanctioned way to get those offline files out of the mobile device for transfer to another device. There is no download option for the Libby browser app; it appears to be streaming-only.

@Catlady, there is mention of downloading to an SD card on Android devices. Maybe there is hope there: https://help.libbyapp.com/en-us/6118.htm#aanchor105
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 01:32 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes, I'm aware of that. I was highlighting what the Libby app can and cannot do. What's unclear is how far Overdrive is going with Libby. They are planning to phase out the Overdrive mobile and desktop apps with a stated target date of end of 2022. Will they also be replacing the Overdrive browser interface with the Libby browser interface? Who knows!
Libby for Windows can be installed. Libby for Windows can't work. That's what Libby can and cannot do. I have no idea if it's a Windows 11 issue or not. But it's no longer supported and that could be why it fails to work.

Quote:
You're missing the point. Catlady's concern was being able to download mp3 files to transfer to an mp3 player, and there is no Libby desktop app that allows you to do that. You must listen to audiobooks using the Libby mobile app or Libby browser app. You can download audiobooks to the Libby mobile app for offline listening within the Libby app, but there does not appear to be a sanctioned way to get those offline files out of the mobile device for transfer to another device. There is no download option for the Libby browser app; it appears to be streaming-only.
Sorry, but no. Overdrive is still working. I tested it earlier today. It downloaded the audiobook no problem. So Catlady can continue to use Overdrive to download the audiobook mp3 files and send them to her MP3 player.
Old 03-31-2022, 03:05 PM   #25
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
... Sorry, but no. Overdrive is still working. I tested it earlier today. It downloaded the audiobook no problem. So Catlady can continue to use Overdrive to download the audiobook mp3 files and send them to her MP3 player.
Yes, the Overdrive for Windows desktop app is still working now. I don't think I ever said it wasn't. But Overdrive is phasing out the desktop apps. The concern is whether there will be the ability to download mp3 files to transfer to an mp3 player once that happens.
Old 03-31-2022, 03:40 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes, the Overdrive for Windows desktop app is still working now. I don't think I ever said it wasn't. But Overdrive is phasing out the desktop apps. The concern is whether there will be the ability to download mp3 files to transfer to an mp3 player once that happens.
Overdrive is no longer supported. I don't know how to get access to the mp3 files on my iPhone.
Old 03-31-2022, 03:56 PM   #27
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Overdrive is no longer supported. I don't know how to get access to the mp3 files on my iPhone.
And that is exactly the point.
Old 03-31-2022, 05:14 PM   #28
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:

@Catlady, there is mention of downloading to an SD card on Android devices. Maybe there is hope there: https://help.libbyapp.com/en-us/6118.htm#aanchor105
Thanks. What I specifically would like to know, if you or someone else is already using Libby and would be willing to try, is whether the files downloaded to the device are simple mp3 files. For example, if you buy a Kobo audiobook, all you need to do it add the mp3 extension to the files and you can access them anywhere. RB Digital used to make me download to an authorized device, but then I could move the mp3 files from that device to another device. If Libby is just adding a step or two to my ability to listen on my preferred device, fine, not a big problem. But if it's like Hoopla, where I'm absolutely forced to listen only with the Libby app, it's going to severely impact my library use.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 06:10 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thanks. What I specifically would like to know, if you or someone else is already using Libby and would be willing to try, is whether the files downloaded to the device are simple mp3 files. For example, if you buy a Kobo audiobook, all you need to do it add the mp3 extension to the files and you can access them anywhere. RB Digital used to make me download to an authorized device, but then I could move the mp3 files from that device to another device. If Libby is just adding a step or two to my ability to listen on my preferred device, fine, not a big problem. But if it's like Hoopla, where I'm absolutely forced to listen only with the Libby app, it's going to severely impact my library use.
Overdrive is using MP3 for audiobooks. The problem is that Libby is only available for iOS, Android, and the Web. Libby no longer works on Windows. So unless you have an Android phone or tablet where you can access the MP3 files from Libby, then Libby is not what you want.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-31-2022 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-31-2022, 08:18 PM   #30
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't have an Android device to test this on, and Libby files on Apple devices appear to be inaccessible.

That said, I'm still using Overdrive. My forays with Libby are just for testing purposes. Using Libby has not affected my ability to use Overdrive. So I suspect you can test Libby yourself without risk to your current Overdrive setup. If you do, I'd be interested in the results.

Re: Kobo — I've never bought an audiobook from Kobo. How do you download them? Can you do so from the Kobo website or do you need a Kobo device or Android device?