Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-15-2020, 11:05 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
An opinion, but hardly the only one. In books that use blank lines with no typographic ornaments to indicate scene or section changes (and that is a great number of books), leaving blank space at the bottom of the screen confusingly makes it look like the current scene has ended ... only to find that it continues on the next screen and THAT can interrupt the flow of reading/understanding.

Widow/orphan control is a typographic nicety created for printed books which typically show many more lines per page than do six-inch E Ink devices, when used with default settings.
Speaking of scene breaks that use blank space, if you use margin-top: 2em; for the blank space, it can get lost at the bottom and/or top of the screen with RMSDK (ADE). What does work is padding-top: 2em; as that allows the space to show should it be at the bottom/top of the page.

And I agree that windows and orphans can confuse things. I think Readers should have windows and orphans defaulting to 1. One thing I don't get though is why in some eBooks that windows & orphans of 2 is put in the CSS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 11:25 AM   #17
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

And I agree that windows and orphans can confuse things. I think Readers should have windows and orphans defaulting to 1. One thing I don't get though is why in some eBooks that windows & orphans of 2 is put in the CSS.
Because it's a lazy copy of what the publisher used for printed versions?

Leaving up to 10 lines of CSS in each style which simply set all border elements and padding elements to zero is another that i find annoying
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2020, 11:29 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Because it's a lazy copy of what the publisher used for printed versions?

Leaving up to 10 lines of CSS in each style which simply set all border elements and padding elements to zero is another that i find annoying
What I find annoying is hundreds of CSS classes in the CSS that have no need to be there. Also, when an eBook is created with InDesign, you get some off numbers such as text-indent; 1.01389.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:16 PM   #19
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Since I patch anyway, I always enable the patch to avoid widows and orphans and find it works very well and saves me having to do any conversions or worry about the .azw3 conversions.

For me, if there's a bit more space left at the bottom of a page, I think it's the end of a chapter or other such break, so it's disrupting to me to come back later and find out there's still more. I'd rather see even 1 line on the next page than to see a blank space at the bottom. And of course since the page layout changes depending on the font size you use, I find it just better all around to do without the widows and orphans.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:25 PM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Because a lot of people want to be explicit about what is happening. Because while "2" is the stated default, not all reading systems use this, so be setting it, you get the same behaviour everywhere. Because whatever tool is being used to create the ebook writes everything into the stylesheet even if it is a default. Because some people don't agree with you.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2020, 04:47 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Because a lot of people want to be explicit about what is happening. Because while "2" is the stated default, not all reading systems use this, so be setting it, you get the same behaviour everywhere. Because whatever tool is being used to create the ebook writes everything into the stylesheet even if it is a default. Because some people don't agree with you.
Not everyone has to agree. But if the eBook is using blank space for section breaks, then windows and orphans of 2 is a very bad idea.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:51 PM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not everyone has to agree. But if the eBook is using blank space for section breaks, then windows and orphans of 2 is a very bad idea.
I have to ask, why? And while I am curious about your knee-jerk reaction, take some extra time and think about why you really think that.
Old 04-17-2020, 05:12 AM   #23
Simboubou
Connoisseur
Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Well, If you use blank space for section breaks, having widows and orphans at 2 will sometime create white space at the end of the page that may look like a section break while it's not actually one.
Simboubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 07:27 AM   #24
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I like §, ~, * * * etc and even a short HR rather than a bigger margin for a section break.
Actual graphics are in some books which seems like overkill, even on paper.

On stuff I'm proofing:
I search for [ ]$, then ^[ ] and finally ^$ using regex mode on source after first:
1) Replace all tabs with space
2) Replace all 2 spaces with one & and repeat till not found.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 04:44 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simboubou View Post
Well, If you use blank space for section breaks, having widows and orphans at 2 will sometime create white space at the end of the page that may look like a section break while it's not actually one.
Bingo!
Old 04-18-2020, 05:54 AM   #26
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Sorry for the delay in responding. What I do when converting to epub is: enter "body {orphans: 0; widows: 0}" into the Extra CSS box; click remove "Padding"; enter "line-height" into Other CSS Properties; select Kobo Reader in Output Profile; set Bottom margin to 0; select Do not split on page breaks in EPUB output. These steps usually lead to consistent bottom margins without the moving up and down I described in my first post, apart from a few books, mainly fiction. I hope this helps clarify what I've been doing up to now.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 06:24 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
Sorry for the delay in responding. What I do when converting to epub is: enter "body {orphans: 0; widows: 0}" into the Extra CSS box; click remove "Padding"; enter "line-height" into Other CSS Properties; select Kobo Reader in Output Profile; set Bottom margin to 0; select Do not split on page breaks in EPUB output. These steps usually lead to consistent bottom margins without the moving up and down I described in my first post, apart from a few books, mainly fiction. I hope this helps clarify what I've been doing up to now.
Do not choose Kobo in your output profile. Choose tablet. By choosing tablet, graphics will ne be resized if they are large enough. You don't want to make hi-res graphics into low-res graphics.

Also, don't set line height to anything. With a Kindle, there already is a line height set and with Kobo, you can set your own line height.

As for windows and orphans, you want to set them to 1 in case 0 is not recognized. You never know in some firmware update that could happen. Look at what happened with Kobo and KePub. The way the page numbers were done have been changed.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:44 AM   #28
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

@Waylander: Which is roughly what everyone is saying. Except that "0" is not a valid value for the widows and orphans attributes. The minimum value is 1. It's just lucky that the RMDSK is not throwing an error when the values are zero.

Last edited by davidfor; 04-18-2020 at 06:47 AM.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:06 AM   #29
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Tbh I was following the advice laid out here https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...-wasted-space/
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 11:38 AM   #30
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Do not choose Kobo in your output profile. Choose tablet. By choosing tablet, graphics will ne be resized if they are large enough. You don't want to make hi-res graphics into low-res graphics.

Also, don't set line height to anything. With a Kindle, there already is a line height set and with Kobo, you can set your own line height.

As for windows and orphans, you want to set them to 1 in case 0 is not recognized. You never know in some firmware update that could happen. Look at what happened with Kobo and KePub. The way the page numbers were done have been changed.
ne = not
All good advice. Especially to use Tablet profile. If the images are too big or too small it needs fixed in a source Wordprocessor, or sometimes CSS.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote