Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 11-28-2007, 01:32 PM   #1
lm2007
lm2007 began at the beginning.

Device: iPAQ Pocket PC
Microsoft Zune reviews, anyone?

My husband wants a Zune and I want to see if any of you out there have anything good or bad to say about them. It's a 30 GB, but that's all I know. We don't need anything too complex...just something that'll play music for us and is easy to download onto. Thanks!
lm2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:45 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I have used a Creative Zen for a few years and found it excellent. A friend recently purchased a Zune and it seems like a good solid piece of gear. He is well pleased with his purchase and says he wished he had bought it earlier. It is well made and simple to operate. The cost is a bit more than the equivalent from Samsung (my wife's mp3 player) or Creative. If he wants a Zume, I know of no good reason to get him something else. The differences between them are minor and all do a wonderful job.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2007, 06:06 PM   #3
taoistpunk
taoistpunk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Thumbs up as an owner of Many PMP's...

I have the 30gb Zune (gotta deal on woot.com for a refurb shipped @ $85), as well as a 30gb ipod video, archos 504, archos 404cc, and a few other media players. I like the zune for downloading podcasts, both video and audio, and I use the radio as well (a feature lacking on many other pmp's). Nice software, easy to install, and far less invasive than itunes. It's a good first player, and right now you can't beat the price/gb ratio...it has it's faults, but all players do. If you're not jogging/working out with it, it's a good unit that, for me, does what I need.

the ipod has a better UI (user interface), but you're tied to itunes (which I dislike), and the archos is a big unit, more for video than audio IMHO
taoistpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:36 PM   #4
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
If you do get him a Zune, opt for the newer generation as the first gen are quite large and clunky compared to comparable PMP's. You can even have his Zune branded with some slick art, I believe MS is offering this for free with Zunes ordered direct. Course if you really want to blow his mind, you can get him an iPod Touch; it's only 16GB, but it has the largest screen for a PMP and the multi-touch screen is phenominal!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:51 PM   #5
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I have the Woot 30gig Zune also. It's the only mp3 player I have had, so hard to compare. I love it, but have a few very minor caveats:
1) It is a rather long list of albums on the zune player library if you fill it up with music
2) I'm not thrilled with the way the desktop software works and syncs and you can't mount it like a mass USB device (there's a partial hack, though)
3) No separate charger cable (you charge through the sync cable via USB)
4) No DivX support.

But I do really like it, am glad I got it, and if you get it at a bargain price I'm not sure how you could beat the deal.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2007, 11:15 AM   #6
taoistpunk
taoistpunk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
ZUNE 30gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
I have the Woot 30gig Zune also. It's the only mp3 player I have had, so hard to compare. I love it, but have a few very minor caveats:
1) It is a rather long list of albums on the zune player library if you fill it up with music
2) I'm not thrilled with the way the desktop software works and syncs and you can't mount it like a mass USB device (there's a partial hack, though)
3) No separate charger cable (you charge through the sync cable via USB)
4) No DivX support.

But I do really like it, am glad I got it, and if you get it at a bargain price I'm not sure how you could beat the deal.
I relate to your disappointment at no DivX/XviD support, but few players offer it...one of the reasons I have a cpl of Archos units laying about...software conversion to native video formats is a pain I prefer not to inflict upon myself.

Have you tried the hack for folder access? I have not, and the lack of said access OOB is a big bummer. It should be standard on every PMP that it just shows up as a drive for drag-n-drop, but Mr. Gates among others is far too scared of us sharing data to make it easy, even though he wants us to join the 'social'.

One of the reasons I love my PRS-505/Archos unit is that it shows up like any old drive.
taoistpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:03 PM   #7
happynow
Banned
happynow began at the beginning.

Device: fgh
Thumbs up

If you want to put dvd and video to your zune , try this .
happynow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:20 AM   #8
dcalder
Zealot
dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-300/Kindle Keyboard/iPad Mini
Unless something has changed recently, the one snag to the Microsoft Zune is that it does not support Microsoft's very own "Plays for Sure" DRM standard. The problem is therefore that it then does not support purchased, rented, or loaned audiobooks, movies, and music from sites like Overdrive, for one thing.

I know because I'm a tech at a public library which offers Overdrive download loans to our patrons and the Zune is right up there with the iPods in the list of "devices people expect to work that don't". At least with the iPods, people understand when it's pointed out that "Plays for Sure" is a Microsoft standard and Apple doesn't support it. They get a lot more confused and less understanding when they find out that a Microsoft product - the Zune - doesn't support a Microsoft standard.
dcalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:47 PM   #9
Shenzhov
Enthusiast
Shenzhov began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
It's been a while since this post started so I'm sure you picked up a Zune or somthing else by now, but I wanted to give my thoughts in case anyone else is looking at a Zune.
I picked up a 2nd gen Zune several months ago and the device is solid. I really like it and it works well. The problem is in the fact that it's tied to Windows. I recently wiped Vista off my desktop and moved over to Ubuntu Linux, thus no Zune support there. I have a MacBook Pro that I was using to duel boot with Vista, but I was only using Windows for the Zune and to use my Sony 505 with the Connect store.
The Zune store is pretty horrible compared to the iTunes store and I hate with a passion Microsoft's point system for buying music. Having to log in, buy points then spend points on a song, have points left over and have to buy more points to add to the left overs to buy another song....anyhow...never will use that mess.

So the Zune is a nice little piece of hardware, but I have reverted back to my ipods and will probably ebay the Zune as well as my Sony 505 (another story all together).
Shenzhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:43 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenzhov View Post
So the Zune is a nice little piece of hardware, but I have reverted back to my ipods and will probably ebay the Zune as well as my Sony 505 (another story all together).
Ah... but the Zune store has the all you can eat subscription that many like and is not available from iTunes.

Does the Zune not mount as an external drive on the Mac?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:22 PM   #11
deedward9
Enthusiast
deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2, Kobo Clara, Nook Glowlight Plus, Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Owner of a zune

I have to say that I own a zune, and have been both very satisfied with the player but disappointed with the Microsoft support for it.

I too have an older 30gb. I've only used it for audio, but the few pictures I've put on it look fantastic. It sounds great, and I like the new 2.0 firmware navigation. I personally like the software for it much better than the iTunes style navigation, it's quite visual, but beware. You must have Windows XP or Vista, and at least for XP you can't use the 64bit version.

As a plus, you can now buy a iTip to charge it in your car, or if you have a home charger in you house or hotel or wherever. http://www.igo.com

Interestingly I use my Zune much more than my fiancee uses her iPod.
Devin
deedward9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:55 PM   #12
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
we are happy with our 30gig Zune, We've not bought any music online, load our own from cds at home.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:58 PM   #13
Shenzhov
Enthusiast
Shenzhov began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ah... but the Zune store has the all you can eat subscription that many like and is not available from iTunes.

Does the Zune not mount as an external drive on the Mac?

BOb
iPods will mount as an external drive, but the Zune won't. I've read someplace that Microsoft has disabled that ability at the moment. I suspect so you can't use it on a Mac or under Linux easily, thus forcing you to use windows if you want to use a Zune. I really don't think Microsoft understands how many people are moving to the Mac and to Linux now, but hey, their choice.

As for the all you can eat Microsoft model, I really don't want to have to pay Microsoft every month to listen to my music. Some may like the idea, but just not for me.
Shenzhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:26 PM   #14
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
I love my 30gb Zune. I got it for $92 brand new! It plays videos really well, and I guess I'm the only one who likes the UI better than iTunes. I hate the iTunes software, and the iTunes format. I can use any type of MP3 on my Zune - I don't HAVE to buy them from the Zune Store. The screen is much larger than my wife's iPod. I often use it to watch anime and movies when I go on trips. I use the thing every day actually, for a number of different things. My wife's iPod sits around getting dust and she has actually comandeered my son's older but still nice Sansa MP3 player.

As far as working out, I have no trouble toting mine around. I use it when I work out in the back yard and when working out. Sure, its not as portable as a smaller MP3 player, but its not much worse than an iPod in size.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 04:45 AM   #15
ex libris
ex libris began at the beginning.

Device: iRex, Nokia 880, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
I love my 30gb Zune. I got it for $92 brand new! It plays videos really well, and I guess I'm the only one who likes the UI better than iTunes. I hate the iTunes software, and the iTunes format. I can use any type of MP3 on my Zune - I don't HAVE to buy them from the Zune Store.
You can use any kind of MP3 on the iPod too - you don't have to buy anything from iTunes. In fact, the iPod supports more formats than the Zune, including basics like AIFF and WAV. See here:

http://www.zunescene.com/comparison/

There are also plugins to let the iPod work with Foobar and WMP.
ex libris is offline   Reply With Quote