Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-01-2011, 03:32 AM   #1
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
... iPad a bad deal for newspapers

Apple's slice makes the iPad a bad deal for newspapers
The Observer - 20 February 2011

"Compared with print, then, distributing and selling your iPad version of a £1 paper will cost only 3p or so less a copy – and you still won't know the names of those who are buying and reading you. Only Apple will be able to pluck fruit from that particular tree."
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:46 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Newspapers are caught between a rock and a hard place.

As for me, I only read free content.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 03:54 AM   #3
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
... I only read free content.
Likewise. That's how I read this article, free-of-charge, downloaded via Calibre's Fetch news option, to the Periodicals section of my Sony PRS-650.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:04 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The internet is bad news for traditional content providers. If they can't adapt, they'll go the way of the dinosaurs.

I no longer read newspapers. I no longer read magazines. I no longer buy books. I no longer go to the library. I no longer watch TV news. I no longer buy CDs. I no longer buy DVDs.

All Hail the Mighty Net
Old 03-01-2011, 04:48 AM   #5
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
Well, Murdoch is busy writing the manual on how not to adapt... .

I read more - and higher quality - news and commentary now, totally for free, than I ever did when I used to pay daily for print newspapers.
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 04:49 AM   #6
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Quote:
... I no longer read newspapers. I no longer read magazines. I no longer buy books. I no longer go to the library. I no longer watch TV news. I no longer buy CDs. I no longer buy DVDs ...
I don't believe in cutting off the nose to spite the face. I'm happy to read newspapers and magazines that can be downloaded free-of-charge. I still buy p-books that aren't available as e-books and I enjoy using libraries for research. I use Livestation, so in that sense I still watch TV news - albeit not on a TV set. It's been a long time since I bought a CD, but I bought a DVD recently, as the bandwidth here makes downloading films impracticable. However, I prefer to use Linux and the masses of free software, so I get your drift.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:17 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner View Post
It's not that, but rather that I no longer need to. No need for television or radio or newspapers or magazines, since individual articles are available for free off of Google News or individual websites.

I stream music, audio, and videos from free sources, so I no longer need to buy them; and since I'm now able to read public domain ebooks for free, I no longer need to buy hard copies.

As to libraries, I see no need to physically visit them when they offer all the services I need online.

So really, the net is a godsend and the total information tool.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:20 AM   #8
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I take advantage of many of the free options out there, but I also buy content.

I buy newspapers when we go out for Sunday brunch - passing different sections of various papers around the table is part of the ritual.

I buy books, CDs, and DVDs because I want to support the creators. I can stream movies and tv on Netflix, but that's not the point.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:48 AM   #9
pietrocrazy
Connoisseur
pietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I buy books, CDs, and DVDs because I want to support the creators. I can stream movies and tv on Netflix, but that's not the point.
Using Netflix does support the creators of content because Netflix pays for content.
pietrocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:13 AM   #10
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Iguess I'm the dinosaur in the crowd. I don't read newspapers or magazines online; I subscribe to the print versions and look forward to reading my local paper and the New York Times daily with breakfast.

I have print subscriptions to numerous magazines (e.g., The Atlantic, Smithsonian, The Economist, BusinessWeek, and at least another half-dozen more) and look forward to handling them and reading them daily.

The one thing I absolutely do not want to do is spend more time than I already spend in front of a computer screen. I feel it is enough that I spend my workday in front of the computer without spending all my leisure time there, too.

As for TV, I don't watch it. I much prefer to listen to an opera and read.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:51 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

I'd subscribe to Nat Geo, but their subscription plans aren't equitable. For $15, I can get it for my netbook; but the same thing would cost me $24 for my Nook Color. Why???

So I refuse to subscribe.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:02 AM   #12
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
I'd subscribe to Nat Geo, but their subscription plans aren't equitable. For $15, I can get it for my netbook; but the same thing would cost me $24 for my Nook Color. Why???
Have you rooted your Nook color? If so then you could install Zinio, the subscription is $15 there.

[Because B&N want to take a portion of subscriber revenue for content sold to its device? Oh wait, only Apple is evil enough to want to do that ]
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:43 AM   #13
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Have you rooted your Nook color? If so then you could install Zinio, the subscription is $15 there.

[Because B&N want to take a portion of subscriber revenue for content sold to its device? Oh wait, only Apple is evil enough to want to do that ]
Ahhh, I think you're missing a few points:

1) B&N's taking a cut of revenue for content sold through its infrastructure - not simply on its device.
2) B&N's not insisting that the content cost the same or less on its platform as it does elsewhere.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #14
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Ahhh, I think you're missing a few points:

1) B&N's taking a cut of revenue for content sold through its infrastructure - not simply on its device.
2) B&N's not insisting that the content cost the same or less on its platform as it does elsewhere.
But, like Apple, without rooting the device you can only buy apps through B&N's app store. And unlike Apple, B&N don't offer competing apps like the Kindle one.
So the issue doesn't arise, as you aren't allowed the option of having the competing content provider.
(And point 1 is also true of Apple, they have only ever said they want their 30% of in-app purchases. The argument has been around them forcing providers to offer the option of in-app purchasing alongside out-of-app purchasing.)
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post

I didn't know Zinio was available on Android. Thanks