Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 10:09 AM   #61
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke King View Post
I don't think you can rely on them to grade the slushpile. How many one star reviews can you give before you grow tired of it and complain? Smashwords has published 2500 books in the last 30 days. Heaven knows how many Amazon has published.

What percentage of those are readable?

Of course I want access. I just fear it will be taken away, the way Apple took it away from app developers.

If there isn't some means of telling a reasonable indie book from one that is simply nonsense, then I believe that will happen.
There are very reasonable ways for readers to tell what they want to read--they sample. There are also ways writers can help--start reading the piles and reviewing. Tell people when you come across books you love. Don't worry about what isn't readable--go find what is and tell the world.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:18 PM   #62
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
New review is up! Dragonverse by Doug Farren. I have also set up a tag set so you can at any time pull up a list of all the reviews. Here is the link.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:48 AM   #63
Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson, author
Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
thanks!

Glad you are spreading the word. I added your link to our "Indie FriendlY" list at http://indiebooksblog.blogspot.com
Old 09-09-2010, 02:00 AM   #64
jamesread
Banned
jamesread began at the beginning.

Device: none
Great idea, Ficbot. An invaluable service to those who are wading through Smashwords looking for the self-published books worth our time, our money, as well as the overlooked diamonds in the rough.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:50 AM   #65
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
New review is up! Dragonverse by Doug Farren. I have also set up a tag set so you can at any time pull up a list of all the reviews. Here is the link.
Your review got me interested so I bought the book. I'll let you know what I think when I've read it.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:08 PM   #66
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

New review is up. The Seventh Compass Point of Death by Richard Sanders. Enjoy!
Old 09-14-2010, 09:58 PM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Very nice review. And the author said he would fix things up. I hope he fixed the story flaws as well as the errors because it sounds like it could be good.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:22 PM   #68
ficbot
Wizard

Thanks, JSWolf! Next review will be up probably by Thursday or Friday. I am really enjoying writing these.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:45 AM   #69
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
That's an excellent review. I reckon the point of reviewing is that people get to know your style and can tell whether they'll like what you do (or even the things you don't enjoy). To me you're doing pretty well there and I just wanted to say because I could imagine this can be a bit like pouring water into a well, things happen but you're never quite sure what. Will book mark your site and keep visiting.

Cheers

MTM
Old 09-17-2010, 05:15 AM   #70
Richard Herley
Author
Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
ficbot, I have just started a blog of my own:

http://herleys-ebook-filter.blogspot.com/

It's for Smashwords titles. I don't review the books, merely filter them. That is, if a sample looks literate and interesting, I'll post about it. I also post samples of books I've seen recommended elsewhere (and with permission will start scouring your blog, as it's not easy to find good new work at SW).

I'm doing this (a) as a service to readers, (b) to promote good SW authors, and (c) to make a little dough, as I have signed up to the SW affiliates scheme.

If anyone else wants to do the same, it's easy and free to set up a Blogger blog. All you need is a Google account. Oh, and lots of patience with sampling

ficbot, I have put you on my blogroll and will happily do the same for anyone setting up a filter/review blog. If you're not a SW affiliate, do consider joining. Your share is paid by the author, not the reader, which I think is reasonable. (Authors can opt out of the scheme; typical referral fee is about 11% of the net book-price.)

The nice thing about using a blog is that readers who are on your wavelength can simply subscribe via RSS and painlessly get news of worthwhile books, as and when they appear.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:22 AM   #71
ficbot
Wizard

Thanks for the info, Richard. I will add your blog to my bookmarks. I am considering the SW affiliates program; not sure I have the traffic for it, but we'll see
Old 09-17-2010, 08:47 AM   #72
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
Cool idea! I appreciate y'all who review indies. Maybe in a few years, being indie won't curl people's lips as much as it does now (or maybe it'll curl 'em more!), but having folks willing to dedicate so much of their time to helping indies is beyond cool. I've decided that every other book I read will be an indie book. I'm reading A Dance of Cloaks by David Dalglish now. If any of you bloggers like fantasy, I suggest sampling that one to see if it's up your alley.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:41 AM   #73
Richard Herley
Author
Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Thanks for the info, Richard. I will add your blog to my bookmarks. I am considering the SW affiliates program; not sure I have the traffic for it, but we'll see
Old 09-17-2010, 10:48 AM   #74
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Hey, silly question, but how does an author get reviewed on these blogs? Yes, I'm not currently available on Smashwords for technical reasons (we're fixing that, so be patient everyone!), but when I am again I'd love to have someone review my books.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:44 PM   #75
ficbot
Wizard

If a book interests me, I review it. Some are books I had already, but now that I have worked through many of those, I am hearing from authors, and reading recommendations here in search of new stuff. Bear in mind though, we all have personal tastes and I won't review one just because An author emailed me today and I am going to say no because I just don't enjoy that genre, don't read books of that type and a) don't feel qualified to comment and b) would rather spend my time reading a book I am more likely to enjoy.

Last edited by ficbot; 09-17-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Closed Thread