Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-22-2003, 06:07 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
So did anyone already read book V? How does it compare to I-IV?

Please use **spoiler** in the beginning of your post if appropriate

Alex
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 05:00 PM   #2
Supergirl
Supergirl is clearly one to watchSupergirl is clearly one to watchSupergirl is clearly one to watchSupergirl is clearly one to watchSupergirl is clearly one to watchSupergirl is clearly one to watchSupergirl is clearly one to watchSupergirl is clearly one to watchSupergirl is clearly one to watchSupergirl is clearly one to watchSupergirl is clearly one to watch

I behave - no spoilers here

From Amazon I read that Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is over 255,000 words compared with over 191,000 words in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. And the new book is 38 chapters long, one more than Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. So already in numbers, you get more for the buck.

I got my book the day it came out and finished it within hours...I couldn't put it down. It was a great read, despite its darker tones. Warning: there is a significant death in the book and it actually made me cry!! This was a fantastic book!
Supergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2003, 07:11 PM   #3
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
You read the whole 760 odd pages in hours?!? Yeesh!
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 09:01 AM   #4
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
I think it's actually 870 pages.

I'm in the middle of it, and I will also give no spoilers.

The characters are definitely more developed. Especially Harry, who has hit adolescence full on. It's funny, so far I've noticed that she's used a few words that will send the under-20 crowd to the dictionary (hopefully).

Otherwise, plot structure, themes, etc seem to be what you get/would expect in I-IV. As Supergirl mentions -- it's long. Really long.
sUnShInE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 02:18 AM   #5
Unregistered
Nameless Being

Irritatating ending

** spoiler ** mwahahaha....

umm... i have read the whole book and personally, i am sad, shocked and angry with the ending of the book! The person who dies ( i won't say any names though) is my favorite character and what bothers me about it is the way he died, the fact that he died, and who killed him!!!!! I mean (since this is a spoiler, areally big one, so people who like being suprised, Don't Read This Message!!!), Sirius didn't even deserve to die, he had just finished laughing!!!! And his own cousin, Bellatrix Lestrange, just killing him there!!! Just right when he was smiling!!! Anyone else that has fully read the book and feels the same as me, PLEASE SPEAK UP!!!!!
Thanks for yur time....
Advert
Old 06-26-2003, 12:25 PM   #6
Unregistered
Nameless Being

I read the book every spare moment I could get and finished it Sunday night. It is by far my favorite of the books. Its a lot darker than the previous ones. As said in another post, Harry is full of teen angst. The book has its hilarious parts and its sad parts. I cried several times. The book kept my attention more than any of the other books. I was hooked by the end of the 1st chapter and that usually doesn't happen till several chapters on, usually when the get to Hogwarts. I encourage all of you to read it soon. And for those known to cry easily, grab a box of tissues.
Old 06-26-2003, 05:04 PM   #7
Unregistered
Nameless Being

Irritating and sad ending

** spoiler **

Yeah... especially if you are reading the end of chapter 35 and you really liked Sirius Black.....*sniffles*
Old 06-26-2003, 07:01 PM   #8
Unregistered
Nameless Being

Harry Potter 5

** spoiler **

I've finished the book also...I think it's the best one yet! Harry faces alot more of emotion in this book...he's growing up and he has to face more responsibility. I was very sad when *HE* died! He was my favorite character too . I wonder what Harry will do now, without him? I can't wait until the 6th and 7th books...I just hope they don't take as long to come out as this one did.
Once again, a GREAT book.
XOXO~ Brittany
Old 06-26-2003, 10:21 PM   #9
Lyra
Lyra began at the beginning.

Device: 770-319-3456
Loved it! It truly refects Harry's teen angst; wanting to be the hero and yet, wanting to be normal. I laughed, I cried, I raved.

The meeting with Dumbledore was very reavealing as well. I loved the single tear!! Dear friends will be truly missed.
Lyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 10:55 AM   #10
RockerChick
Enthusiast
RockerChick began at the beginning.

Device: NX70v
I really enjoyed this book too!! It's a keeper!
RockerChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 08:05 PM   #11
emale07
Enthusiast
emale07 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Oh yeah. I am totally lovin the "teen angst Harry" - give me more!
emale07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 08:23 PM   #12
Unregistered
Nameless Being

Does Rowling plan on taking another 3 years to write book 6?
Old 07-01-2003, 01:59 AM   #13
Unregistered
Nameless Being

This book was terrific! i've been waiting forever and i cant say i'm disapointed. I didn't like the angst Harry though. He was a little mean to those around him and although he is a teenager. he was kind of a jerk. But n e ways.. The death Killed me. I cried so hard. I had to stop reading for a while because i was so mad about *Him*. I liked how in this book they showed that Dumbledore wasn't infallible and revealed things about Harry's parents from an enemy's perspective.. It was Great! I'm already on my way to read it a second time, i'll probably cry harder this time. if anyone knows what the heck that veil thing is that he disapeared behind (like if you have studied greek mythology) please let me know (zappdbrain@hotmail.com)
Old 07-01-2003, 06:47 AM   #14
Unregistered
Nameless Being

I LOVED HIM

**SPOILER**

I was really really really inexpressably angry and distressed when sirius died. i read over that bit lots of times trying to find ways he might come back to life in the next book.
he was by far the best, most interesting character and i'm so so in love with teenager-sirius!
why?? WHYYY?????????
can anyone think of any way he can come back? ppleasse give me hope...
Old 07-01-2003, 09:04 AM   #15
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Continuing to SPOIL...

For those concerned about a certain dead character, I wouldn't worry about this character's disappearance. Having a dead character in a book about a magical world only leaves room for the character's return in fun and unusual ways. Think about all the ghosts Rawlings has used in these books, or those that live in portraits. We have not seen the last of a certain dead dude.
sUnShInE is offline   Reply With Quote