Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-10-2009, 09:18 PM   #31
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
I guess for me it's no big deal. I have a PRS-505 since December 2007 and the only time I've used an SD card was to flash it. I've never had a need for it; but I also tend to store a lot of mine e-books in my laptop.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:18 PM   #32
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
I hear alot of people mention square trade insurance. Not sure if it covers the battery stuff or not.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 09:31 PM   #33
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
Ipods have never had replacable batteries, and the vast majority of its users dont know how/dont care to know how to replace them on thier own. And yet there is no public outcry about that....
I think many of the people who buy iPods are members of the "throw-away" or "disposable" generation: when something breaks or stops working, they don't try to fix it. Instead, they simply dispose of it and buy a new one.

Though, I'm not sure if that type of person would consider a $359 Kindle 2 with a bad, non-replaceable battery, to be "disposable".
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:46 PM   #34
adfleisher
Enthusiast
adfleisher doesn't litteradfleisher doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook 360, Nook
Umm, they actually did....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattEcho View Post
I love definitive comments like this. Can you imagine if several years ago Apple had said there was no need for additional storage? Is this guy a moron or what?

Matt
WTF? Apple has never allowed you to increase the storage of an iPod without buying a brand-new flashy device, and have never had a user replaceable battery.
adfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:16 PM   #35
MattEcho
MattEcho has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MattEcho has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MattEcho has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MattEcho has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Read again

Quote:
Originally Posted by adfleisher View Post
WTF? Apple has never allowed you to increase the storage of an iPod without buying a brand-new flashy device, and have never had a user replaceable battery.
I was commenting on the definitive statement, not on the lack of an SD card or replaceable battery.

Matt
MattEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 10:35 PM   #36
BurBunny
Zealot
BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2.0 In Hand
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The 2nd year Extended Warranty cost $65 and would cover a complete failure of the battery, but perhaps not a loss of capacity. It has to be bought within 30 days of your K2 shipping. The warrenty is not from Amazon but from Service Net.
Which makes me much more likely to purchase the extended warranty, something I rarely do for consumer items.
BurBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:16 PM   #37
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDad6 View Post
This does seem to be a hard spot with all Kindle users. I am assuming that Amazon has not addressed this due to software/firmware limitations that make this more difficult than would appear to that average layperson.
File systems and management is inherent to any operating system. The kindle is nothing more than a small PC that runs linux. There is already a file system and File I/O on the device. As a matter of fact, you can already make folders on the storage system. It would just take some coding to expose that organization to the library viewer.

I develop for a living and it is something that they could do, if they wanted to.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:19 PM   #38
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
Then I refer to the second half of that post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDad6 View Post
I am hopeful that once they have figured it out, it will not take a hardware upgrade to implement but rather you would one day find that a new version had loaded over whispernet and folders would be available.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:22 PM   #39
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I'm anxious to see how well this works. I guess if it doesn't you can send your Kindle back n forth to Amazon for hard resets

"Asked how users can reboot Kindle 2 since there's no removable battery, Tritschler said a new command takes care of that problem. "We've solved that as well," he said. "You hold down the power switch for 14 seconds."
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:37 PM   #40
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Maybe I'm in the minority in that I like the thinner form enough where I'm willing to risk the battery replacement. I'm ambivalent on the SD card. I don't use my Kindle for music or audio books. I like a pocketable device for that so I use my phone with an 8GB microSD. I have 2GB right now in my Kindle and it's nowhere near full. I'd like the option but it's not a big deal for me.

Personally, I think it had more to do with needing more internal memory and needing to cut elsewhere than not wanting to put in an SD slot. With the K1's small internal memory, you can easily run out of space if you don't clear stuff off, especially if you have subscriptions. Then you don't get deliveries and you may take up tech support time finding out why not. In the meantime you may have encountered frustration. Most of us are a bit geekier than average and are aware of our storage space and how to manage our content. I think a lot of the customer base is not like this. It may seem like the easiest thing for most of us to move files around but I know quite a few people who are remarkably phobic about it.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:44 PM   #41
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
I'm anxious to see how well this works.
I am not very knowledgeable about hardware, but does the Kindle 2 really have separate hardware just waiting around to detect a long power press? If not, why would it work if the device's software is in never never land? I have had good luck with paper clips in reset switches, but nothing beats removing the battery as a last resort.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:49 PM   #42
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I am not very knowledgeable about hardware, but does the Kindle 2 really have separate hardware just waiting around to detect a long power press? If not, why would it work if the device's software is in never never land? I have had good luck with paper clips in reset switches, but nothing beats removing the battery as a last resort.
I don't make the same kind of hardware but the stuff we make at my company has a reset switch we can program like that. I've only seen it fail when someone's mucked up the firmware. I've never heard of it failing in the field.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:59 PM   #43
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I dont think the battery or the SD slot is a big issue. Hell, I have yet had the need to replace the batter on my iPods or my iPhone and I have had them for a long time (and use the frequently)
Also, I have yet to use the SC/MS slot on my 505... I only have 110 book on the reader now (there is still more room) and the rest of the books I just keep on the computer.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:01 AM   #44
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Maybe I'm in the minority in that I like the thinner form enough where I'm willing to risk the battery replacement. I'm ambivalent on the SD card. I don't use my Kindle for music or audio books. I like a pocketable device for that so I use my phone with an 8GB microSD. I have 2GB right now in my Kindle and it's nowhere near full. I'd like the option but it's not a big deal for me.

Personally, I think it had more to do with needing more internal memory and needing to cut elsewhere than not wanting to put in an SD slot. With the K1's small internal memory, you can easily run out of space if you don't clear stuff off, especially if you have subscriptions. Then you don't get deliveries and you may take up tech support time finding out why not. In the meantime you may have encountered frustration. Most of us are a bit geekier than average and are aware of our storage space and how to manage our content. I think a lot of the customer base is not like this. It may seem like the easiest thing for most of us to move files around but I know quite a few people who are remarkably phobic about it.
Also, most new users aren't going to have GBs of material from other sites to put onto a SD card. Most of them are going to buy only from the Kindle store and in that case, 1.4GBs is plenty of space. Even some of the biggest books are usually under 2MBs and Amazon is backing up purchases in case you need to clear up room.
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:32 AM   #45
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
The lack of SD port is fairly limiting, depending on what you like to read. I read a lot of comic books on my Sony reader, often with file sizes of 50MB or more. That space for "1500 books" can look small much more quickly than when you're just dealing with plain text files, and you're loading up your device for a vacation trip (where you might not be able to connect to the online storage).

Is that a common scenario? Maybe not. The point is that it's a realistic one and the new Kindle doesn't fit it particularly well.

One of very few downsides to the Kindle 2 that I've seen so far.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote