Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Writing my first short story: Guardian Angel
Audio books

Can you please explain audio books for me?

Is it like some dude just reading a book and they recorded it or does it have different characters and sound effects with music?
spaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaze View Post

Is it like some dude just reading a book and they recorded it or does it have different characters and sound effects with music?
Audiobooks are straight text readings of books; usually by one person. They can be "read" by professionals, the authors, or amateurs. They can be full versions or abridged ones.

Free audiobooks (public domain mostly) are generally done by amateurs; and frequently by many different ones for a given book.

Different characters and sound effects are dramatized versions and highly edited. Think of them as radio plays, similar to radio shows from the 40's and 50's. BBC Radio still does these and I listen to them regularly.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So most of the audio books are like Bebook Mini's text-to-speech.

I remember when I was a kid my cousin recorded Empire Strikes Back into a C-tape and he gave it to me as a birthday present. I used to listen to it and remember the drama after Luke finds out Vader is his father. Many years later I actually knew what he was crying about But in a sense, it was kind of audio book I guess.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
Quote:

I remember when I was a kid my cousin recorded Empire Strikes Back into a C-tape and he gave it to me as a birthday present. I used to listen to it and remember the drama after Luke finds out Vader is his father. Many years later I actually knew what he was crying about But in a sense, it was kind of audio book I guess.
Actually, commercial audiobooks - the kind you'll find at the library or available for purchase either on CD or from places like Audible.com - probably fall about halfway between the two examples you gave. Most commercial fiction audiobooks are read by professional actors, and while they do read the straight text with little or no sound effects or background music, they create different voices for the various characters and use their voices to heighten emotions - fear, anger, joy, etc. Of course, there is a wide range of narrating styles and talent, and while a good narrator can really enhance a book, a bad narrator can ruin the experience.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
spaze
Addict

Perhaps I should have a look at one of these audio books.
Advert
Old 04-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Try these websites. They offer free public domain audiobooks. Chances are, most, if not all of these are in the public domain in Finland and the EU.I don't know about Finland, but many public libraries in the US offer audiobooks; including the latest best sellers.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:41 PM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Take a look at LibriVox.org for free public domain audio books. These are read by volunteers, and some readers are better than others, but I've enjoyed the ones I've listened to.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #8
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Some commercial books are read by people who do the voices very well and are not just straight forward reading.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #9
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
Some commercial books are read by people who do the voices very well and are not just straight forward reading.
That is true and Neil Gaiman is great at reading his own stuff and the one time he didn't, the audiobook of Ananzi Boys, they had Lenny Henry of "Chef" doing the reading (excellenty, course).

I listened to the audio of Other Kingdoms by Richard Matheson a few weeks back. Bronson Pinchot did a great reading. Whoever read Michael Grubers The Witch's Boy was excellent, too.

I'll try and think of some other examples. I've been doing the eAudiobooks thing for years and only just now started eBooks.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #10
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
That is true and Neil Gaiman is great at reading his own stuff and the one time he didn't, the audiobook of Ananzi Boys, they had Lenny Henry of "Chef" doing the reading (excellenty, course).
He was also in the (BBC) radio adaptation. Is "Chef" really all he is famous for over there? That's a bit like saying Orson Welles from the lager adverts.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:25 PM   #11
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:

It depends on the book and the budget. I'm listening to Water for Elephants right now. It's read by 2 different actors and has a small amount of music, mostly meant to denote a transition. The best book I've ever listened to is The Help. I wouldn't say that it was just read, but performed. Authors with better budgets will have their books read by performers/actors. For instance, I remember a part in The Help where one of the characters starts to cry, and the actor performed the part perfectly!

Another interesting short listen was when I noticed that Jeremy Irons was the narrator for Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist. Well, I just had to hear what that was like! Jeremy Irons has such a great and distinctive voice. It did not disappoint, but was much different that the voice in my head, since the main character is a boy/young man.

Go on to Audible. They have sample listens for all of their books.

Quote:

Wow! That has to be one of the sweetest and best gift from anyone! What an awesome cousin!
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:04 PM   #12
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
No, no... much better to listen...

Quote:
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:29 PM   #13
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
He was also in the (BBC) radio adaptation. Is "Chef" really all he is famous for over there? That's a bit like saying Orson Welles from the lager adverts.
Ha! Well, Netflix had Chef on Instant for awhile, so I saw him there awhile after listening to Ananzi Boys. He had small parts in Mirrormask and Penelope, I believe, and I saw those. I don't have BBC America but I wish I did. What do you suggest I look for on Netflix with him in it?
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:07 PM   #14
spaze
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
No, no... much better to listen...
Thanks for correcting me. Looking at a CD won't do much good
Old 04-13-2011, 11:36 PM   #15
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
The audio books of Dewey Lambdin's Alan Lewrie series (Napoleonic naval saga) are all read by a professional voice actor. There are no sound effects but the range of voices and real enthusiasm the reader uses, add real "flesh" to the characters in the book. As far as I am aware, these are full non abridged audio books.

I travel a one hour round trip to work each day and these audio books played through a week and a half of traveling.

Recommended.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote