Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
Joseph Picard
Enthusiast
Joseph Picard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph Picard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph Picard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph Picard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph Picard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph Picard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph Picard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph Picard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph Picard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph Picard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph Picard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Does Sigil hate me, or just windows?

A really helpful looking tutorial I found online ... had a tools menu on the interface. My sigil doesn't. A lot of things seemed squirely, then I realized the tutorial was on a mac. Is the PC version that different, (yes, I'm using the current ver) or am I just suffering the effects of a long term taurine addiction?
Joseph Picard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The version of Sigil you're using is much, much newer than any tutorial you found (Mac or otherwise). The entire interface has changed drastically since that was written.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Picard View Post
A really helpful looking tutorial I found online ... had a tools menu on the interface. My sigil doesn't. A lot of things seemed squirely, then I realized the tutorial was on a mac. Is the PC version that different, (yes, I'm using the current ver) or am I just suffering the effects of a long term taurine addiction?

Ask if you can't figure out the newer (from the tutorial) way of doing it. (most just moved the menu items around)

Lots of new book browser features (mentioned in threads here at MR: Sigil)
The main big difference is the TOC browser Generator (also a thread discussions) no longe destroys an existing NCX (and does not auto fix it either (other than a simple referenced file rename))
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
Joseph Picard
Enthusiast
Joseph Picard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph Picard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph Picard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph Picard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph Picard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph Picard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph Picard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph Picard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph Picard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph Picard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph Picard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

(edit; opps, I type to slow, I was relying to diap

Figures... I'm usually good at fumbling through interfaces to softaware that's new to me.. I thought Calibre was a hassle... I find it odd that a program that boasts WYSIWYG is less fluid. I might just be saying that because I have a TINY TINY bit more time logged with Calibre...

But heck, I can't even import an image into Sigil that isn't already part of the document. I might end up recoiling back to Calibre, and worry about chapter breaks there. (that was the only real reason I was exploring Sigil)
Old 05-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
But heck, I can't even import an image into Sigil that isn't already part of the document.
Right-click on the images folder in the Book Browser and select "Add Existing Files..."

or

File->New->Add Existing Files...
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Right-click on the images folder in the Book Browser and select "Add Existing Files..."
While you're at it, you should do a lot of right-clicking on items in the Browser to discover the range of options that are there. It can be a good learning experience since a number of things on the context menus there aren't available any other way.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
(edit; opps, I type to slow, I was relying to diap

Figures... I'm usually good at fumbling through interfaces to softaware that's new to me.. I thought Calibre was a hassle... I find it odd that a program that boasts WYSIWYG is less fluid. I might just be saying that because I have a TINY TINY bit more time logged with Calibre...

But heck, I can't even import an image into Sigil that isn't already part of the document. I might end up recoiling back to Calibre, and worry about chapter breaks there. (that was the only real reason I was exploring Sigil)
Images is now a 2 step process as you can now use the same image in many places with ease. (Chapter head images, scene break images are common reusable images).

1)add (install) the Image as others have said.
2) Place the image (as many times/places as you want) using the Black ish screen icon or Ctrl-Shift-I (it will ask which installed image)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #8
Joseph Picard
Enthusiast

whoosh. One mystery solved.. Thanks, folks! Two pretty unintuitive ways, IMO, but I'll skip the rambling. I'm still not totally sold on using it over just calibre, but I'm willing to keep jabbing at it..

I'm always lecturing people on the power of right clicking stuff, (from my 5 year old daughter, right to my mum) so I guess I should take my own advice!
Old 05-30-2012, 03:09 AM   #9
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The main big difference is the TOC browser Generator (also a thread discussions) no longe destroys an existing NCX (and does not auto fix it either (other than a simple referenced file rename))
Just wondering if you mean something different than I think you do? If you use the Generate TOC button it will overwrite the toc.ncx file with the headings you select. It does not keep any existing toc.ncx entries and if your chapters aren't marked with a heading tag they won't be available to select in Generate TOC.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #10
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
You may find my tutorial useful (see my signature). There are are two versions of the tutorial, the first uses Sigil 0.3.4 and the second (v2) Sigil 0.5.3. In the newer version, the Tools menu is no longer present and the examples have been updated to reflect that fact.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote