Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-28-2011, 02:47 PM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
semicolon in file names

i was doing a save to disc, then burn to CD; of a book selection & found that my burn software objects to seeing semicolons in file names.

that happens whenever calibre sees 2 or more authors, it generates a file name at "save to disc stage" that uses semicolon as author name separator.

do I just have to find a more tolerant burn program ( to replace Roxio) or is there a work-around.

is it bad practice to generate file names that contain ; ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I don't know if it's bad practice or not, but I definitely try to avoid any characters other than alpha-numerics, dashes or underscores in filenames.

Quote:
that happens whenever calibre sees 2 or more authors, it generates a file name at "save to disc stage" that uses semicolon as author name separator.
That's configurable.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I don't know if it's bad practice or not, but I definitely try to avoid any characters other than alpha-numerics, dashes or underscores in filenames.

That's configurable.
expand, please
Old 12-28-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Way back in the dim and distant past, when computing was beginning the operating system kernel had a series of reserved characters /\?%*:¦"<.> and when they were found in a file name the OS considered them as instructions to do something.

For a full listing see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filename

There are also various other control characters that should not be used or strange results may follow.

Last edited by ivanjt; 12-28-2011 at 04:33 PM.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
expand, please
If you mean on the "it's configurable" part; in the "Saving books to disk" preferences in calibre, you can customize the template that creates the file name. Several of the device interface plugins can be customized to do the same thing.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
It's not bad practice to have a ';' in a filename however as you found it is a reserved character for ISO9660 (the file system used by cds).
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:59 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
CDs have a more restricted set of characters permitted for filenames than do computer operating systems. The characters you're allowed to use in the file system of a CD are a part of the CD-ROM standard, and are independent of the operating system that your computer uses.

These days, I'd suggest using an external USB disk for backup, rather than CDs. Much easier to use, and less hassle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:33 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
i was doing a save to disc, then burn to CD; of a book selection & found that my burn software objects to seeing semicolons in file names.

do I just have to find a more tolerant burn program ( to replace Roxio) or is there a work-around.

Just add them to a all to a Zip/RAR (without any punctuation in the zips file name) befor yo burn that one, big file
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:59 AM   #9
cybmole
Wizard

thanks guys.

PS I see I used the wrong forum - should have posted this to calibre forum!

for my own backups I do use a USB drive, n this case however, I was burning stuff to CD for my daughter to take away when I noticed the issue. Yes I could have zipped all but then if that 1 file is unreadable you've lose everything. one book per file is more failure tolerant
Old 12-29-2011, 12:04 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
thanks guys.

PS I see I used the wrong forum - should have posted this to calibre forum!

for my own backups I do use a USB drive, n this case however, I was burning stuff to CD for my daughter to take away when I noticed the issue. Yes I could have zipped all but then if that 1 file is unreadable you've lose everything. one book per file is more failure tolerant
Make a PAR for your zip and include it
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:04 AM   #11
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS T1, Kobo Glo
Or use winrar with recovery information...
opitzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #12
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
I came across this looking for something else...

You don't mention what program you are using to burn the CD however if you are using an program like ImgBurn (if you're not, you should be), you should set the file system to ISO9660 + Joliet + UDF. This will allow almost all characters in the filename. All current OS's can handle both Joliet & UDF file systems.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #13
morantis
Zealot
morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One of the reasons is that is most programming languages a semicolon denotes the end of a command or line
morantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #14
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumbles View Post
I came across this looking for something else...

You don't mention what program you are using to burn the CD however if you are using an program like ImgBurn (if you're not, you should be), you should set the file system to ISO9660 + Joliet + UDF. This will allow almost all characters in the filename. All current OS's can handle both Joliet & UDF file systems.
thanks for the tip - I do have imgburn but in that instance ( it was my post originally) I was using Roxio easy media creator, as it has a slicker interface & is usually fine for CD burning.