Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-16-2018, 01:15 AM   #1
moredrowsy
Connoisseur
moredrowsy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
drag and drop feature behavior

Is the DnD merge feature suppose to activate on the same book? For example, for whatever reason, I drag book A into book A and the dnd merge pops up.
moredrowsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:27 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by moredrowsy View Post
Is the DnD merge feature suppose to activate on the same book? For example, for whatever reason, I drag book A into book A and the dnd merge pops up.
If by same book you mean same author & title, I don't think it cares.

If you DnD 'Book A by Author X' onto another 'Book A by Author X' (i.e. a duplicate), or if you DnD 'Book A by Author X' onto 'Book B by Author Y', the Merge Book dialogue pops.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2018, 02:03 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It isn't, but only as of calibre 3.26.1 (3.26.0 neglected to add a check for dropping a book onto itself)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:49 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Never occurred to me to try DnDing a book onto itself.

If you DnD merge "Book A by Author X" into "Book B by Author Y", and check the Merge metadata option, the Title and Author columns in the target book are not updated to "Book B" and "Author Y".

If one also checks the option to delete the merged book you lose sight of the merged books Title and Authors columns, so you can't cut & paste* the cells.

Can't immediately think of a way around that, other than to do the cut & paste of the Title and Author before doing the merge.

*In this instance I'm thinking individual cell cut & paste via F2 edit, not the book line cut and paste, where I have author and title excluded.

BR
Old 06-21-2018, 11:35 AM   #5
peekpoke
Enthusiast
peekpoke began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle/Android
Is there any way to disable the drag merge? I find myself doing it by accident when I select a range of books and the first book happens to be one I already had selected.
peekpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2018, 05:43 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by peekpoke View Post
Is there any way to disable the drag merge? I find myself doing it by accident when I select a range of books and the first book happens to be one I already had selected.

I thought it was just me
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:04 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peekpoke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

I thought it was just me
Would an option to use 'right button down DnD' for Merge overcome the problem?

BR
Old 06-21-2018, 07:35 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
BR I make lots of use of the "context menu" in all apps. I would have the option to just continue the old (type M) way
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:06 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@theducks - I was trying to avoid having to go to preferences (tweaks) if/when you actually want to use DnD to do Book Merging. I use the menu-key to get the booklist context menu.

I never really 'got' the 'M' method. So, until Kovid provided the DnD Merge feature, I've merged manually: drag format files from the unwanted book folder into the wanted book's details panel, cut and paste metadata fields via bookline edits, remove unwanted books or format files.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-21-2018 at 09:09 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:40 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As of 3.26.1 if you drag and drop onto an already slected book, it should do nothing.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:23 PM   #11
peekpoke
Enthusiast
peekpoke began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle/Android
Is there actually a tweak to disable the drag and drop to merge books? I didn't find one, and I keep doing this by mistake regularly whenever I go to select multiple books.
peekpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:24 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

There will be a setting for it in the next calibre release.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:52 PM   #13
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
There will be a setting for it in the next calibre release.
You're the best! Thanks!
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:12 AM   #14
Aerie
Aerie began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Was the setting/tweak to disable drag and drop merge added to Calibre?
I came looking to see if it was something I could turn off, glad to know I'm not the only one who keeps doing it by accident.
Aerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:24 AM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerie View Post
Was the setting/tweak to disable drag and drop merge added to Calibre?
I came looking to see if it was something I could turn off, glad to know I'm not the only one who keeps doing it by accident.
Yes. Go to Preferences - Look & Feel - Main Interface tab. You will find the option at the bottom (see attached).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre_maininterface.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	166441  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote