Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-12-2016, 04:37 PM   #61
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
New Wildside Press freebie is up, and it's for:

Wildside Press Presents: Discover a New Author: Brian Stableford featuring 3 short stories from the BFSA-winning author (ISFDB, Wikipedia) who, incidentally, happens to be one of my personal favourites for his genetic engineering tales, especially within the Tales of the Biotech Revolution setting (some collections of which have been reprinted by Wildside Press, which I've previously bought in the past). He also has a pretty good viral vampirism novel, Empire of Fear, which I also recommend.

Brian Stableford is the author of more than 70 novels and hundreds of short stories. This collection is designed to introduce new readers to his work. Included are:

AND HE NOT BUSY BEING BORN (Short Story)
THE HIGHWAY CODE (Short Story)
THE AGE OF INNOCENCE (Short Story)
THE PLURALITY OF WORLDS (Sample Chapters)
THE DEVIL IN DETAIL (Sample Chapters)
ASGARD’S SECRET (Sample Chapters)

Bundle of Holding are offering the following RPG gamebook bundles: Daring Tales (sfnal adventures across space and time), and two classic GURPS bundles from Steve Jackson Games: GURPS Traveller Essentials and Gurps Traveller Imperial Survey.

Just a reminder that the Humble Comics Bundle Star Trek presented by IDW, full of new collections and older reprints from the former DC and Gold Key licensed lines, and with an option to get a special physical collectible paperback with a new story by John Byrne (of X-Men fame), expires tomorrow on Wednesday at 11 AM Pacific Time. The accompanying Humble Magazine Bundle Star Trek presented by Titan Publishing will still be good for the next week.

And StoryBundle's The Adventure Sci-Fi Bundle curated by Kevin J. Anderson, containing the enhanced 2nd editions of some Baen backlist books and at least one title apparently not otherwise available DRM-free, according to this post in the SF/Fantasy megathread, expires in a couple of days' time.

Also, for the foreseeable future, Tor.com will be offering a DRM-free eBook of the Month selection for one week every month, in return for signing up for their newsletter. This month's selection is Liu Cixin's Hugo Award-winning The Three Body Problem. Please see the dedicated thread in the News forum for further details and linkage.

Last edited by ATDrake; 07-12-2016 at 04:44 PM.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:30 PM   #62
elaysee
Groupie
elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook, Kobo, Kindle, iPad
The most recent StoryBundle is The Haikasoru Japan Sci-Fi Bundle. The only reason I'm still deliberating is that I already have two of the bonus level books, Gene Mapper and Hanzai Japan.

The S. J. Rozan story in Hanzai Japan is a Bill Smith/Lydia Chin story, incidentally, for groupies of that persuasion.

Quote:
Haikasoru is VIZ Media, LLC's "internal small press" dedicated to bringing the best of Japan's science fiction, fantasy, and horror to English-speaking audiences around the world. Since our launch in 2009, we've published Hugo Award-winning fiction, inspired a Tom Cruise film, and have shown the world that the future is Japanese!

In this bundle we've included some of Haikasoru's favorites, such as the science fiction anthology The Future is Japanese, which includes the Hugo Award-winning short story "Mono No Aware" by Ken Liu, and Hiroshi Sakurazaka's Slum Online is a light novel about a college kid obsessed with a fighting MMO—and Sakurazaka knows something about video games, as anyone who has seen the film Edge of Tomorrow (based on his All You Need is Kill) understands.

As or the bonus books? Our latest anthology, Hanzai Japan was nominated for the Locus Award, and features sci-fi crime from mystery writers including S. J. Rozan and Naomi Hirahara, and fantasists such as best-selling author Carrie Vaughn and horror master Chet Williamson. And then there is Project Itoh's Harmony, the Philip K. Dick Award Special Citation winner—the dark utopian flip side to Genocidal Organ.
elaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2016, 03:44 PM   #63
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

New Wildside Press freebie is up, and it's for:

Wildside Press Presents: Discover A New Author: Marvin H. Albert featuring an introduction to the late mystery/adventure and biography author (SYKM, Wikipedia, NYTimes obituary) by his daughter and an essay about his work by his own biographer, as well as extensive samples from his novels (apparently, he didn't write any short fiction, so there are no stories available for them to include).

This series of free ebooks is designed to promote authors you may not have tried before. In this case, Marvin H. Albert. Albert (1924-1996) was primarily an American mystery novelist -- though he worked in other genres, too -- publishing over 100 books in his lifetime (under his own name and a number of pseudonyms, including: Nick Quarry, Anthony Rome, Ian MacAlistar, Al Conroy, and Mike Barone).

For this volume, Jan Albert, his daughter, has provided a long introduction to his life and work, plus there is an essay from his official biographer, Roger Martin. Lengthy samples from the first three volumes of the Stone Angel series are included. (Unfortunately, Marvin Albert wrote no short fiction, so we can only provide length samples of his novels in this volume, which should give you a good idea of his talents as a writer.) If you like mysteries, we know you will want to read more.)

Bundle of Holding has rotated their RPG gamebook offerings, and the new one is for Bundle of Lamentations filled with weird supernatural fantasy scenarios mostly recommended for gamers 18 or above due to violence and other mature content. The previous Daring Tales cross-time adventure bundle is still available for a limited time.

Groupees is offering a $1 pre-order for their upcoming Make Mine Indie Comic Bundle. Details of the contents will not be revealed until the pre-order period is over, but the price is supposed to be a substantial savings off the minimum tier and one of the support people says that it will contain at least 15 titles. More info in the Comics megathread.

Just a reminder that expiring tomorrow on Wednesday at 11 AM Pacific Time is the Humble Magazine Bundle Star Trek presented by Titan Publishing, containing DRM-free PDF back issues featuring articles and interviews with the cast and crew of the popular franchise.

And still good for the next week is the Humble Comics Bundle Grant Morrison containing his works for Graphic India based on Indian mythology, which may also be of interest to Gentle Readers interested in behind the scenes creative information, as it includes the Director's Cut versions of three comics with full scripts and concept artwork, as well as a making-of artbook for the web-animated adaptation of the comics with scripts and interviews with the creators of that, as well.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:03 AM   #64
ATDrake
Wizzard

StoryBundle has a new offering for the next 3 weeks:

The Historical Fantasy Bundle curated by Lambda Literary Award and John W. Campbell Award winning author Melissa Scott (ISFDB, Wikipedia) is chock-full of an excellent selection of Exactly What It Says In The Title, and is an auto-buy for me.

I'm very pleased to see backlist works by Judith Tarr (ISFDB, Wikipedia), who is one of my favourite straight historical & historical fantasy authors, show up, as I've heard that she's been having financial difficulties in recent months (her only income is from her writing and she has rescue horses to take care of) and I've been meaning to get more of her stuff.

I've also enjoyed Jo Graham's (ISFDB, Wikipedia) Greek/Egyptian historical works in the past (her books in this are Napoleonic Wars and Great Depression). Heather Rose Jones (ISFDB) I "know" not from her actual fiction, but from the excellently informative non-fiction articles she writes for SCA-related historical recreation purposes (website), so I'm interested in trying her novel. And Martha Wells (ISFDB, Wikipedia), I actually refrained from buying the novel she offers in this during the Kobo 50% off coupon sale only because I already owned the hardcover. (Although I did get the short story collection offered at the bonus tier and probably I should have picked out one of her other novels to try instead, but eh, it was cheap and I figure she could use the extra money.)

The stories are set throughout history, from Ancient Egypt all the way up to the 20th century, and include tales that could have taken place in our timeline, as well as alternate ones where there are werewolves in the French Resistance of WWII. A few works with LGBT characters are included, if that might happen to be a point of additional interest.

$5 minimum gets you 5 novels (1 backlist from HarperCollins which was a Nebula nominee back in the day, 2 recent small press).
$15 top-tier gets 5 additional novels + 1 short story collection (2 backlist from Tor, 1 backlist from Baen, 1 recent small press).

Also, their Giga Game Bundle full of non-fiction titles, some about the history of games like Go and Dungeons & Dragons as well as the usual video game titles, and the Haikasoru Japan Sci-Fi Bundle endorsed by elaysee upthread are still available for the next week or two.

Last edited by ATDrake; 07-20-2016 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Additional info about contents.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:09 PM   #65
ATDrake
Wizzard

New Humble Bundle is up, and it's an unusual but interesting offering for:

Humble Book Bundle Puzzles presented by Lone Shark Games & Friends containing a lot of books of mostly crossword puzzles, and also sudoku, mazes, logic and wordplay puzzlers, and also at least one narrative novel written in a choose your own adventure-like interactive style, apparently all in PDF format for understandable reasons.

Minimum level is $1, middle tier is a non-negotiable $7, top-tier is $15 and entitles you to receive additional bonuses which are unlocked if the bundle makes certain sales goals. Unusually, all three tiers will have one bonus book added next week. There's also an option for a physical hardcover book (shipping not included). ETA: one of the crossword books also includes a free download of it for using it in the Puzzazz iPhone/iPad app. And they give you a special badge for solving the puzzle hidden in the description, which was easier than I thought it would be.

It's nice to see more diversity in the categories of HB book offerings and I've always been interested in puzzles and mindgames, so I think I'll give this one a try pour encourager les autres.

Quote:

Boggle your mind with our most puzzling bundle yet. Is your head insufficiently confused? Your brain not quite wracked enough? Fret no more, because we’ve partnered with Lone Shark Games to bring you a bundle of puzzle books, including crosswords, logic puzzles, word teasers, and more.

At the heart of the bundle is The Maze of Games, the epic puzzle novel by the legendary puzzle designer Mike Selinker and the accomplished artist Pete Venters. You can be among the first to get the new PDF hint book The Theseus Guide to the Final Maze, whose contents will be determined by your contributions—for each $20,000 this campaign raises, you’ll get another puzzle in the book when it comes out in October!

This bundle features never-before-available books by puzzlemakers like the brilliant Brendan Emmett Quigley, the youthful Francis Heaney, and the remarkable Pavel Curtis. There are also books by the inventive Patrick Berry, the nimble-minded Matt Jones, the talented Patrick Merrell, the honorable Patrick Blindauer, and the splendiferous Thomas “Dr. Sudoku” Snyder.

Here’s what’s in the bundle, with an asterisk (*) indicating a collection never available in book form before:

Pay $1 or more and you’ll get Berry’s Vicious Circle, Blindauer’s Summer Puzzlefest: I Know What I Did Last Summer, Curtis’s Logical Leaps and Landings: An Adalogical Ænigmas Collection*, Merrell’s Aha! 125 Original & Amusing Word Puzzles, Quigley’s ALT-X: Now Crosswords for Now People*, and Killer Cryptics.

Pay $7 or more to also get Selinker’s The Maze of Games, Blindauer’s Musical Puzzlefest: Play On!, Heaney’s Idiosyncrossies: 25 Indie Crosswords*, Jones’s No Holds Barred Crosswords, Merrell’s Punchline Puzzles, Quigley’s Marching Bands Year One*, and Snyder's The Art of Sudoku.

Pay $15 or more to also get The Theseus Guide to the Final Maze (when it’s released), Berry’s The Crypt, Blindauer’s Out-of-This-World Space Puzzlefest and Vegas Puzzlefest: Strip Tease, Quigley’s Diagramless Crosswords Year One*, Merrell’s Mastermind Mazes, and Selinker’s Crosswords of Wisdom*.

Pay $42 or more and you’ll also receive the hardcover edition of The Maze of Games, available from Penny Arcade! Follow the instructions on your download page to redeem at Penny Arcade (shipping not included).

For each $20,000 this bundle raises, a new puzzle will be added to the hint book The Theseus Guide to the Final Maze, which will be released on October to those who purchased the $15 tier or higher!

Last edited by ATDrake; 07-20-2016 at 02:21 PM.
Advert
Old 07-27-2016, 02:16 PM   #66
ATDrake
Wizzard

New Humble Bundle is up, and it's for:

Humble RPG Book Bundle Vampire: The Masquerade featuring the gamebooks for the popular supernatural roleplaying series from White Wolf. Within it, The Book of Nod is some sort of illustrated prose storybook which gives backstory tales about the setting.

Fixed tiers are $1 minimum, $8 middle, and $15 top (new titles will be added to the top next week). There's an additional bonus tier at $33 (worldwide shipping included) for some merchandise in the form of two exclusive enameled pins.

Quote:
A bundle I am, lest a beast I become. Enter a world of darkness with White Wolf Publishing and Humble Bundle! Start with a Kindred overview, flesh out your sects and your clans with guides to each group, and brush up on Noddist knowledge. Then, you can either curl up at home to discover the secrets of Storytelling, or head out into the world for some LARPing with the Mind’s Eye Theatre version. If you’re feeling gothic-punk fancy, make sure to don our exclusive enamel pins before you go! (And please, stay out of the sun.)

Fledgling: Pay $1 or more for Vampire: The Masquerade Revised Edition, Guide to the Camarilla, Clanbook Brujah Revised, Clanbook Nosferatu Revised, Clanbook Toreador Revised, and Clanbook Ventrue Revised.

Neonate: Pay $8 or more for Storyteller’s Handbook Revised, Guide to the Sabbat, Clanbook Gangrel Revised, Clanbook Lasombra Revised, Clanbook Malkavian Revised, Clanbook Tremere Revised, Clanbook Tzimisce Revised, and The Book of Nod.

Elder: Pay $15 or more for Mind’s Eye Theatre: Vampire The Masquerade, Guide to the Anarchs, Clanbook Assamite Revised, Clanbook Followers of Set Revised, Clanbook Giovanni Revised, and Clanbook Ravnos Revised.

Methuselah: Pay $33 or more for the Masquerade Ankh and Book of Nod exclusive enameled pins.
Last week's Humble Book Bundle Puzzles presented by Lone Shark Games & Friends has accordingly added 1 title each to its three tiers, and the extra title for the top tier is an audiobook version of The Maze of Games novel, read by Star Trek actor Wil Wheaton.

Also on the RPG front, Bundle of Holding's new offering is Hillfolk, some sort of multiple time settings conflict drama game from Pelgrane Press. The previous Bundle of Lamentations weird and spooky settings offering is still available for a few more days.

Just a reminder that expiring in the next day or so is StoryBundle's Giga Game Bundle, full of non-fiction titles about video, board, and tabletop games, with two titles written by academics in the minimum tier. Their Haikasoru Japan Sci-Fi Bundle featuring translated prose books from manga/anime publisher Viz, recommended by elaysee upthread, and the Historical Fantasy Bundle curated by Lambda Literary and John W. Campbell Best New Writer Award-winner Melissa Scott, featuring a number of quality backlist selections from some of my personal favourite authors, are still good for the next week or two.

Don't forget, the Smashwords July site-wide sale is still on until the end of the month, and fellow MR members have spotted some good deals and freebies in its dedicated thread.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:45 AM   #67
ATDrake
Wizzard

StoryBundle has a new offering, and it's for:

The Starward Bound Bundle curated by Martin Kee, which consists of space opera, featuring a mix of indie and established backlist authors.

Highlights include Hugo & Nebula Award-winner David Brin's (ISFDB, Wikipedia) Locus Award-winning short story collection, a 2001 Tor novel by also Hugo & Nebula Award-winner Mike Resnick (ISFDB, Wikipedia), and US-resident German author Marko Kloos' (ISFDB, Wikipedia) 1st-in-series novel from Amazon's 47North publishing imprint, which had been nominated for the 2015 Hugo by one of the bloc-voting slate groups, but which the author withdrew on the grounds that he did not feel the spot had been earned fairly purely on the book's own merits.

$5 minimum gets you 5+1 novels (one is a 2-book omnibus edition) by indie authors.

$15 top tier adds all the established author stuff, for an additional 3 novels + 2 short story collections.

Ending in the next couple of days is StoryBundle's Haikasoru Japan Sci-Fi Bundle consisting of translated works published by manga/anime giant Viz Media. Still available for another week is the Historical Fantasy Bundle curated by John W. Campbell Award-winner Melissa Scott, containing many backlist books by enjoyable established authors.

Also expiring Real Soon Now at 11 AM Pacific time today is the Humble Book Bundle Puzzles presented by Lone Shark Games & Friends, featuring mainly crossword and other puzzle books, but also a full-length novel in both e-book format and with an audiobook with accompanying musical soundtracks, read by Star Trek actor Wil Wheaton. Their Humble RPG Book Bundle Vampire: The Masquerade, featuring the gamebooks from the popular tabletop/LARP game that was also adapted into the short lived supernatural show Kindred: The Embraced, is good for another week.

Bundle of Holding's new RPG gamebook offering is for Deadlands Noir, a hard-boiled fantasy spin-off from their Deadlands weird horror Western RPG, this one set in 1930s New Orleans where you get to play a mystical detective or criminal. This apparently was a Kickstarter campaign, and the bundle gets you all the standard stuff that was offered in it, including maps, a soundtrack, and a tie-in novel. Their previous multi-era spanning conflict drama RPG Hillfolk offering is still available for a limited time.

Last edited by ATDrake; 08-03-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:18 PM   #68
ATDrake
Wizzard

Humble Book Bundle Start Your Own Tech Company with titles from Apress, part of the Springer Verlag group, focusing mainly on entrepreneurship, marketing, and management aspects, from the looks of it, with a couple of practical titles about using open source software and setting up your own e-commerce website.

Three fixed tiers of $1 minimum, $8 medium (more books added next week), $15 top tier.

Quote:
The Humble Book Bundle: Start Your Own Tech Company

Bundled up and bossed up. You’ve got the next great idea, and Apress knows it! That’s why we’ve partnered up with the top business publisher to bring you this plethora of books to light your way to tech success.

Pay $1 or more for Exporting: The Definitive Guide to Selling Abroad Profitably, Commercializing Innovation: Turning Technology Breakthroughs into Products, Inventors at Work: The Minds and Motivation Behind Modern Inventions, Design Thinking for Entrepreneurs and Small Businesses: Putting the Power of Design to Work, Know and Grow the Value of Your Business: An Owner's Guide to Retiring, and Startup: An Insider's Guide to Launching and Running a Business.

Pay $8 or more for all of that plus Databases for Small Business: Essentials of Database, Management, Data Analysis, and Staff Training for Entrepreneurs; How to Create the Next Facebook: Seeing Your Startup Through, from Idea to IPO; Big Data Bootcamp; Make an E-commerce Site in a Weekend; Pro Freeware and Open Source Solutions for Business; From Techie to Boss; and Build a Profitable Online Business: The No-Nonsense Guide.

Pay $15 or more to receive the above books plus Building Great Software Engineering Teams: Recruiting, Hiring, and Managing Your Team from Startup to Success; Disruption by Design: How to Create Products that Disrupt and then Dominate Markets; Regulation A+: How the JOBS Act Creates Opportunities for Entrepreneurs and Investors; University Startups and Spin-Offs: Guide for Entrepreneurs in Academia; Financial Modeling for Business Owners and Entrepreneurs; and Why Startups Fail: And How Yours Can Succeed.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:15 PM   #69
ATDrake
Wizzard

Humble Book Bundle The Joy of Coding presented by No Starch Press chock full of self-educational books on Exactly What It Says In The Title.

Fixed tiers of $1, $8, and $15 (no new books added next week), covering a range of languages as common as JavaScript and as obscure as Erlang. Also some general coding books on best practices and such, and a fun-looking humour book on what if famous authors wrote JavaScript programs.

This is an auto-buy for me, not solely because I've been trying to teach myself to program and No Starch has high-quality instructional stuff for beginners (I've always liked their Manga Guides translations of the Japanese educational comics), but also because I specifically have been trying to learn Racket (I use a spin-off dialect of it to generate the freebie posts).

Quote:
A bundle of joy. For programmers who love what they do, diving into a new language is an exciting and rewarding challenge. Whether you’re looking to add some new skills to your resume or just searching for fun weekend projects, the Joy of Coding bundle is full of possibility. Explore the power and versatility of Python, Lisp, Haskell, Erlang, Clojure, and more with this collection of best-selling programming books.

Pay $1 or more for Automate the Boring Stuff with Python, The Linux Command Line, Learn You a Haskell for Great Good!, Learn You Some Erlang for Great Good!, and The Book of F#.

Pay $8 or more and you’ll also receive Eloquent JavaScript, 2nd Edition; The Principles of Object-Oriented JavaScript; Land of Lisp; Realm of Racket; If Hemingway Wrote JavaScript; and Write Great Code, Volume 1.

Pay $15 or more to receive all of that plus Python Playground, Think Like a Programmer, The Art of R Programming, Clojure for the Brave and True, and Write Great Code, Volume 2.
Last week's Humble Comics Bundle Dark Horse 30th Anniversary has added a bunch of omnibuses to the middle tier (including some Vol. 2s for the Vol. 1s offered in the $1 tier), and Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 10 volume, should you happen to be a fan.

Bundle of Holding has four new RPG gamebook bundles: Osprey Wargames featuring stuff from the popular military history publisher who also have a sideline in gaming. These cover a wide range of real-life historical scenarios, some with added fantastic elements, and are meant to be used with their miniature models. To accompany it, there's a secondary bundle of Fat Dragon Terrain Sets which are printable PDFs for you to cut and assemble into scenery for your miniatures. They actually look pretty cool, even if there don't seem to be any actual fat dragon miniatures involved in the gameplay.

And there's also the Shadowrun 3E Essentials and SR3 Sprawl Guide bundles for the 3rd edition of the popular fantasy steampunk game.

Just a reminder that StoryBundle's Starward Bound Bundle of space opera has another week to go, and contains a few offerings by Nebula & Hugo Award-winners and nominees. They've also a new Weird Western bundle which is primarily indie, but contains some hybrid sfnal wild western offerings by backlist authors like Judith Tarr, and frontlist titles from Chizine Publications, and there's a freebie for newsletter subscribers; please see the dedicated thread for linkage and more details.

Last edited by ATDrake; 08-17-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:07 PM   #70
ATDrake
Wizzard

Humble Book Bundle True Murder and Madness presented by The Lineup, who are some sort of website/online magazine who are teaming up with Open Road Media for this, meaning that these are almost all backlist books (one of them even has an Edgar Award tag on it).

Fixed tiers $1, $8, and $15, no new titles added next week. It's mostly more modern cases, but there's some older, more historical titles like crimes of passion through history and such.

Quote:
This bundle is on the case. Humble Bundle has called upon The Lineup to bring you the (literal) grisly details! With this library of true crime books, you can pore over famous historical murders and other fascinating tales of madness. But can you handle the truth?

Pay $1 or more for Blood Cold: Fame, Sex, and Murder in Hollywood, Crimes of Passion: An Unblinking Look at Murderous Love, Blood Crimes: The Pennsylvania Skinhead Murders, A Book of Remarkable Criminals, and Did They Really Do It?: From Lizzie Borden to the 20th Hijacker.

Pay $8 or more for all of that plus The Von Bülow Affair: The Objective Behind-the-Scenes Account of the Shocking Attempted Murder Case, A Death in California: A True Account of Love and Murder Among the Very Rich, Lobster Boy: The Bizarre Life and Brutal Death of Grady Stiles Jr., Nutcracker: Money Madness, Murder: A Family Album, The Boston Strangler, Coroner, and The Hillside Stranglers.

Pay $15 to receive all of the above, as well as Who Killed My Daughter, Killer Charm: The Double Lives of Psychopaths, Closing Time: The True Story of the “Goodbar” Murder, Buried Dreams: Inside the Mind of a Serial Killer, Dead Ends: The Pursuit, Conviction, and Execution of Serial Killer Aileen Wuornos, and Coroner At Large.
Last week's Humble Book Bundle The Joy of Coding presented by No Starch Press is still available, and selling amazingly well.

Bundle of Holding has a new RPG gamebook offering for Tribe 8 a horror-based dream magic game. Shadowrun 3E Essentials & Shadowrun 3E Sprawl Guide, based on the popular multi-platform steampunk elves-and-orcs urban fantasy franchise, is still available for a limited time.

Just a reminder that StoryBundle's Starward Bound Bundle bundle chock-full of space opera expires in another day or so.

Last edited by ATDrake; 08-24-2016 at 02:40 PM. Reason: The Hollywood case is actually pretty recent, huh.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:29 AM   #71
ATDrake
Wizzard

The Truly Epic Fantasy Bundle 2016 curated by Kevin J. Anderson, containing new and backlist books re-issued by his WordFire Press imprint.

Apparently this includes some straightforward historical novels (or maybe they're historical with non-obviously fantastical magic realism elements), including one about Joanna Plantagenet (sister of Richard the Lionheart), and another about the ancient Egyptian pharoah Akhenaten.

Highlight of the offerings is the late Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist Allen Drury's (ISFDB, Wikipedia) 1976 historical novel about Akhenaten, A God Against the Gods, which has its own Wikipedia entry.

There's also a backlist novel by Michael A. Stackpole (ISFDB, Wikipedia), originally out from HarperPrism in 1997, Heart Readers by former Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction editor Kristine Kathryn Rusch, originally out from ROC. I actually own the latter as a paperback, and it's an okay novel with an interesting premise of a royal line cursed to have twins in every generation and trying to sort out its succession issues non-violently, this time.

Also, some new-looking offerings include a Brandon Sanderson novella, some kind of zombie version of the US Civil War co-written by Tracy Hickman (ISFDB) of Death Gate Cycle and Dragonlance tie-in novel fame, and a Fiction River anthology volume edited by Rusch, containing new stories by authors including multiple Nebula, Mythopoeic, and World Fantasy Award-winner Jane Yolen (ISFDB, Wikipedia) and Esther M. Friesner (ISFDB, Wikipedia; editor of Baen's popular Chicks in Chainmail anthology series, and whose own humorous fantasy fiction I always enjoy)

$5 minimum gets you 5 novels, including the Stackpole backlist, the new Hickman, and the Plantagenet title.

$15 top-tier gets you an additional 6 titles: 4 novels (2 backlist, including the Drury and the Rusch) + 1 anthology + 1 novella which takes place in the same universe as Sanderson's Mistborn (but is otherwise standalone).

Their Weird Western Bundle containing sfnal hybrid westerns with fantasy/horror elements is still available for another few days.

Bundle of Holding has a new RPG gamebook offering for: Mutants & Masterminds 3E & M&M 3E Power Boost supplements, a superhero RPG by Green Ronin. The previous Tribe 8 bundle for a fantasy horror game pitting magical avatars vs invading demons is still available for a few more days.

And as a reminder, the Humble Book Bundle True Murder and Madness presented by The Lineup, containing true crime backlist books from Open Road Media's catalogue, selected by true crime specialty website The Lineup, is available untli Wednesday 11 AM Pacific Time, and contains an Edgar Award-winner in the lot.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:52 PM   #72
datcha
Connoisseur
datcha has a certain pleonastic somethingdatcha has a certain pleonastic somethingdatcha has a certain pleonastic somethingdatcha has a certain pleonastic somethingdatcha has a certain pleonastic somethingdatcha has a certain pleonastic somethingdatcha has a certain pleonastic somethingdatcha has a certain pleonastic somethingdatcha has a certain pleonastic somethingdatcha has a certain pleonastic somethingdatcha has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post

The Truly Epic Fantasy Bundle 2016 curated by Kevin J. Anderson, containing new and backlist books re-issued by his WordFire Press imprint.

Apparently this includes some straightforward historical novels (or maybe they're historical with non-obviously fantastical magic realism elements), including one about Joanna Plantagenet (sister of Richard the Lionheart), and another about the ancient Egyptian pharoah Akhenaten.

Highlight of the offerings is the late Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist Allen Drury's (ISFDB, Wikipedia) 1976 historical novel about Akhenaten, A God Against the Gods, which has its own Wikipedia entry.

There's also a backlist novel by Michael A. Stackpole (ISFDB, Wikipedia), originally out from HarperPrism in 1997, Heart Readers by former Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction editor Kristine Kathryn Rusch, originally out from ROC. I actually own the latter as a paperback, and it's an okay novel with an interesting premise of a royal line cursed to have twins in every generation and trying to sort out its succession issues non-violently, this time.
[Crosspost with FREE/BARGAIN - Science Fiction, Fantasy - 2016]

This Story Bundle is mostly from WordFire Press, as was a Humble Bundle "Sci-Fi Specials" available in early April 2016., which offered 18 books for the same price (or 11 books for $10), instead of 11 books for $15.

For those who already acquired the former Humble Bundle, and did not read it all yet, they should be aware that the two bundle have three books in common:
  • The Feather and the Moon Well (The Brilliance of Sun 1) by Shean Pao
  • Echoes of a Shattered Age (Legend of Takashaniel 1) by Ramon Terrell
  • A Tale of Red Riding (Rise Of The Alpha Huntress 1) by Neo Edmund
One could have hoped that the curator (and WordFire Press) would avoid such duplication. However, one of the books (Spawn of Loki by Jason Henderson) is the second in a series (Macduff Saga), and the first book (The Iron Thane) was included in the former bundle.

The usual retail value of each book is about $6 (except $3 for the Sanderson book)., provided the prices I see are the same as those you see on the same pages, since I am in non-anglophone Europe.

The bundle includes some historical fiction. This seems to be a season thing, since Phoenix Pick is also offering a bundle (for $9 at least) that includes 5 historical fictions by L. Sprague de Camp, together with the novel "Lest Darkness Falls" available for free.
datcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:40 AM   #73
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
The Sanderson story is from the anthology Dangerous Women edited by Gardner Dozios and GRRM. I'm almost sure.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:05 PM   #74
ATDrake
Wizzard

Humble Book Bundle National Park Service 100th Anniversary presented by Lonely Planet, chock-full of travelogue and destination books by the popular travel guide publisher.

Fixed tiers of $1, $8, and $15 (no new books added next week). In addition to the expected guides to assorted US national parks, there's also a world travel tips book, a collection of regional foodie essays, a wine travelogue guide, and more. (IIRC, a couple of books at the $1 level are repeats from the previous LP HB, but all the stuff at the higher tiers looks new the two photography artbooks at the $8 level are also repeats from last bundle, and the only new book at the $1 level is A Fork in the Road, which normally costs more than $1 at the usual retailers and is not DRM-free there.)

Quote:
Park yourself in front of a book. Lonely Planet and Humble Bundle would like to wish the US National Park Service a glorious and majestic 100th anniversary! We're honoring America's natural beauty – and many other wonders of the world! – with this library of epic Lonely Planet travel titles. They're ebooks, so you can put them in your backpack and hit the trails to celebrate. (But no birthday candles in the national parks, please.)

Pay $1 or more for You Only Live Once, The World, Big Trip, Wine Trails, and A Fork in the Road.

Pay $8 or more and you’ll also get Beautiful World; Wild World; Zion & Bryce Canyon; Grand Canyon; Yellowstone & Grand Teton National Parks; Yosemite, Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks; and Banff, Jasper & Glacier National Parks.

Pay $15 or more for all of that plus USA Travel Guide, USA's National Parks, National Parks of America, Best Place to be Today, and USA's Best Trips.
Also, you can get 3 free DRM-free Windows games, as part of the Humble GameMaker Bundle which provides source code for assorted games made with the eponymous software suite, just for signing up for the newsletter in the provided box.

Last edited by ATDrake; 09-07-2016 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:17 PM   #75
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Free, no DRM

Through the Lookie Hole
by Brian Christofferson

Flying a twin-engined freighter, loaded with airmail, two-thirds of the way across Montana (at night) made for many exciting stories.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019NPHSY8/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019NPHSY8/
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B019NPHSY8/

Undocumented Procedure by Brian Christofferson

Tom, a beekeeper and apiary inspector, referred to the mail plane pilot as "10 o'clock Charlie," signaling to Tom to call it a night. There were other, less flattering descriptions of the footprint left by the noisy Aero Commander on its nightly rounds.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JK1VM1Q/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JK1VM1Q/
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00JK1VM1Q/
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drm-free ebook