Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-26-2007, 01:52 PM   #1
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
Features for future rss2book?

Hi all

I'm trying to come up with features for future versions of rss2book and would welcome suggestions, both for new features and for the desirability of the various items listed below. What I have on my list so far:

Low Hanging Fruit
  • msi installer. Not sure if this is really much better than the current .zip file approach.
  • help file
  • categories for published feeds (news, opinion, blogs, tech, software development, etc), with a tree view when subscribing

Medium Difficulty
  • make rss2book clean up the html before passing it to the back end converters. Amongst other things it would be good to normalise header levels (so that all top level headers are <h1>, etc)
  • support for tables
  • table of contents support
  • auto-updater for new versions of rss2book
  • cookies and login support for sites that need that
  • sync plugins, so Sony Reader synching is a plugin and potentially can sync to other devices - but are there any others that matter and which are open enough to be implemented?

Big Fish (either big jobs or jobs I'm unsure of difficulty)
  • output plugin for .chm and .lit
  • output plugin for BBeB
  • output plugin for FB
  • input plugins - make the whole RSS front end a plugin, which the possibility of other plugins that produce HTML (wikipedia, Gutenberg, etc)
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:41 AM   #2
jbresee
jbresee began at the beginning.

Device: (802) 373-9060
Vista support?

It almost works under Vista....
It gets about 80% of the way there, then Vista complains that it has crashed, and kills it.

I would love to see a vista stable version...
Thanks for all of your work, it is a very cool app.
Jim
jbresee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2007, 12:03 PM   #3
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I hope to have Vista support very soon - maybe even tonight - assuming the problems are mine and not with the Sony DLLs. I just set up Vista with VS.Net on my laptop yesterday so I'm ready to start testing.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:39 PM   #4
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
This is not rss related, but more focused on regular web pages. What about a link depth setting. What I'm looking for is something similar to what iSilo did on the palm and pocket pc. There are a number of journal websites/webzines etc that would be great to package up like this. Just a thought.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:43 PM   #5
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar
This is not rss related, but more focused on regular web pages. What about a link depth setting. What I'm looking for is something similar to what iSilo did on the palm and pocket pc. There are a number of journal websites/webzines etc that would be great to package up like this. Just a thought.
To be effective, wouldn't this probably also require some sort of inclusion/exclusion sets of wildcarded URLs also?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2007, 08:06 PM   #6
geekraver
Addict

Soemtimes you just need a rule that you only follow links that are relative or point to the same site.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:47 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
geekraver, how hard would it be to write a non-dot.net port?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:24 AM   #8
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
geekraver, how hard would it be to write a non-dot.net port?
I guess the point here is that using .net, the developpment is much much faster. Another high level language (a more portable one) would be the right choice for a port, but usually this is no easy task, and if you're not skilled with both languages it can take quite a lot of time.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:33 AM   #9
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Well, .NET is pretty portable because of Mono -- I use Linux, and it is very easy to get Mono installed (almost all distributions have it as a package).

What would really help is if it could run on .NET 1.1 -- Mono has a rock-solid 1.1 implementation, but the 2.0 implementation is not as polished and is not available in most distros (yet).
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:39 PM   #10
jbresee
jbresee began at the beginning.

Device: (802) 373-9060
Actually, whatever was broke in 1.9 was fixed in 2.0!
I'm running it on Vista and it is behaving nicely - thanks geekraver!
Jim
jbresee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:13 AM   #11
geekraver
Addict

Glad to know it works - I'm still struggling with getting the VS.Net service pack 1 downloaded and installed so I hadn't tested it yet.

As far as other languages go, I might sometime do a native version with wxWindows, but its pretty unlikely; .Net works for me and if you want to sync directly you need Windows anyway, so it shouldn't be that big a deal. Vista ships with .Net 3.0, and 2.0 is available to XP users via Windows update. The only reason I might do wxWindows is that it is years since I used wxWindows (I wrote a Scrabble game back in the 80's) and it would be good to pick it up again.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:30 AM   #12
Fugubot
Connoisseur
Fugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watch

Device: Sony Reader
Thanks for adding the the select all/deselect all functions in 20. It works great! I'm really happy with the program as is and will be sending you a donation this week out of gratitude.

I don't know if others would find this helpful. Its just a usability suggestion to reduce clicking. How about the ability to drag an RSS/link to the program and this opens the customize dialog with the URL box filled in with the RSS/link?

Instead of clicking in the URL column and pasting in the link, the clicking in the name and naming the link, and then clicking on the customize button to test the link, drag-and-drop link would get you to the customize screen immediately. I suppose you'd have to include a field for the NAME column but it would streamline inputting new links.

Again, great program. Thanks for being so open to suggestions from users.

Much gratitude.
Fugubot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 05:46 PM   #13
geekraver
Addict

I can look into that. Right now I'm trying to add better support for Gutenberg and Wikipedia stuff (and I've renamed the app "web2book" as a result :-) ).
Old 02-13-2007, 10:09 AM   #14
lhilden
Junior Mint
lhilden began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
GeekRaver,

After using rssbook for a couple of weeks now and publishing several feeds, I have two suggestions:

1. Give us the ability to edit previously published feeds. Sites change, pages break...
2. Provide an option to create the TOC entries based upon h1 entries only. That is ignore h2, h3, etc. when creating the TOC so I don't have to navigate a through several levels of TOC entries to get to the article.

Other than that, thanks for a great tool!

-Lou
lhilden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:07 AM   #15
geekraver
Addict

Hi Lou

You can do (2) by editing the htmldoc options. There is a --toclevels option that can be adjusted.

Good point on (1).