Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-06-2017, 02:36 AM   #1
johnleo
Enthusiast
johnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Touch
Anyone Can Give a Link on How to Connect KINDLE using SSH over WIFI

I have already installed usbnetwork plugin on my Kindle.
The weird thing is whenever I try to connect my Kindle using WinSCP, any password will do. I can log into my kindle and see all the files and folders in it.
But I cannot modify or delete any files though I followed instructions to make folder writable with "mntroot rw".
I'd like to try SSH over WIFI to see if it works, but cannot find any instructions on it.
Can anyone give a link on that or help me deal with this problem? Thanks a lot.

EDIT
Just found the way to connect my Kindle over WIFI. But when I press "Allow SSH over WIFI" on KUAL, it says "N W must be in usbms mode to safely do this." How can I change to that mode?
Still, when I logged into my Kindle over USB cable and tried editing files, an error message showed saying "read-only file system". What the heck is that!!

Last edited by johnleo; 12-06-2017 at 06:32 AM.
johnleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:08 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
You must be in USBMS (USB Mass Storage) mode.
I.E: Remove USB cable and toggle the device out of USB network mode to change that option.

Have you any experience at all with a Unix of Linux computer's file system?
Where in the file system tree are you trying to make changes?
That makes a difference.
Use the output of the
mount
command (just as written, no arguments) to get information on what parts of the file system tree are impossible to write to.

Then ask yourself: "Could this perhaps have been done for a very good reason?"

PS: What good would a link to one of our tutorials do for you?
You haven't even read the directions that are packaged with the USBnetworking package yet.
Hint: Use the drop down box to filter the index page by the prefix: Tutorial

Last edited by knc1; 12-06-2017 at 08:15 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2017, 05:39 AM   #3
johnleo
Enthusiast
johnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it is

Thanks.
I didn't know that the readme file will include how-to so I checked the post and failed to find instructions on how to connect Kindle over WIFI. However, there isn't any information about it in the readme file except the usual connecting via USB cable method.
Anyway, I can establish the connection via USB cable.
I just want to replace the code2000.ttf in /usr/java/lib/fonts/ with my own font. Using the "mount" command showed that all the fonts are currently busy. Of course. They are fonts rendered by the system. I tried "stop x" and "umount" the /fonts directory and it's all gone. I restarted Kindle and everything came back to what it was.
I followed the procedures by one post and the result turned out to be negative.
Sigh...
Old 12-07-2017, 07:02 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Did you read the file type reported for each?
Code:
/dev/loop/3 on /usr/java/lib/fonts type squashfs (ro,noatime,nodiratime)
As I asked you before, how much experience do you have with Unix/Linux/BSD/MacOSx file systems?

If you do not recognize the file type: "squashfs" and its inherent properties, did you ask google?

Did you notice the: ro as the first option reported?
Then did you try the mntroot rw command and then check that field again?

- - - - -

On the subject of a tutorial on ssh:
On the index page of this forum -
Line of click labels below second blue bar -
Left hand box: "Prefixes" - click it, you will get a drop down box - select: "tutorial" -
Right hand box: "Show Threads" - click it -
That filter cuts down the 173 page index to a 3 page index.
Now scroll through the titles, check out the ones with "ssh" or "networking (which at this site does not mean social networking or how to find a hot date for next weekend)" in the title

You could also ask: "ssh on Kindle" in google, the first 1/2 dozen or so hits will be to this site.
We really do not try to hide the information from people who really want to know.

Note:
If you can't make the USB networking work (which is the default) -
You need to get past that road block before you move on to more advanced things.

Note2:
The font packages are signed - where are you going to get the way to sign your replacement font package with Amazon's keys?

Last edited by knc1; 12-07-2017 at 07:17 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:10 PM   #5
johnleo
Enthusiast

The reason I wanted to replace the font that way is because I found a webpage about changing default fonts on KT 5.1.0. It's very simple and straightforward. Then I thought just try it on my 5.3.7.3 to test if it works. I have nearly no knowledge about Linux or Unix. So all that I did, I was trying my luck.
Here in China, there's no access to google services. Only Bing and Baidu could be used and for English content Bing is the only way because Baidu sucks in English. Since I want to change the font that displays Chinese, there is rare information about it on this forum. Most of the how-tos or instructions in Chinese are outdated too. It turns out not to be a easy task.
I successfully connect Kindle to my PC via USB cable. I can do it from the beginning. But replacing the font just didn't work out. So I thought maybe turning to connection over WIFI might make a difference. It seems that's not the crux of the matter.
Anyway, using skpstone with customized fonts works really smooth for me. It saves a lot of time and effort for me.
I'll check the tutorials again to see if I can copy files to Kindle over WIFI. That will make a lot less plugging.
Thanks for your reply. It helps a lot. Thank you.
Advert
Old 12-07-2017, 09:20 PM   #6
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnleo View Post
The reason I wanted to replace the font that way is because I found a webpage about changing default fonts on KT 5.1.0. It's very simple and straightforward. Then I thought just try it on my 5.3.7.3 to test if it works. I have nearly no knowledge about Linux or Unix. So all that I did, I was trying my luck.
Here in China, there's no access to google services. Only Bing and Baidu could be used and for English content Bing is the only way because Baidu sucks in English. Since I want to change the font that displays Chinese, there is rare information about it on this forum. Most of the how-tos or instructions in Chinese are outdated too. It turns out not to be a easy task.
I successfully connect Kindle to my PC via USB cable. I can do it from the beginning. But replacing the font just didn't work out. So I thought maybe turning to connection over WIFI might make a difference. It seems that's not the crux of the matter.
Anyway, using skpstone with customized fonts works really smooth for me. It saves a lot of time and effort for me.
I'll check the tutorials again to see if I can copy files to Kindle over WIFI. That will make a lot less plugging.
Thanks for your reply. It helps a lot. Thank you.
Oh. When someone says google it, you can Bing it.
Google=search.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote