Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 12:47 AM   #31
AskzYDre
Enthusiast
AskzYDre began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Not impressed by Kobo executive customer care

Desoto, did Shasan reply to you when you emailed? Kobo executive customer care offered me a refurbished $35 Kobo touch. Apparently they have a 3-month warranty on replacement Touches. But I asked them why should I be expected to pay more money for another Touch when I didn't find the first two worked right. Regarding the battery/indicator, they basically have no troubleshooting steps, but they jump right to wanting to send a replacement. I'm not impressed by these guys.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:48 PM   #32
desoto
desoto began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wifi
AskzYDre, no, I did not get a reply directly from Shasan. It's been 10 days now since I last heard from Kobo. The replacement kobo has not yet arrived (but it's only been 10 days...).
My experience with replacement units for other manufacturer's gadgets has been that any warranties, exchange privileges, etc do not apply (or are limited), and one replacement is usually all you get. I doubt that Kobo is any different in that respect.

I'm sorry your replacement did not work as promised. It never hurts to contact the company again, especially if you can address your letter to someone higher up the food chain (google for names/titles) Management usually has more authority to satisfy disgruntled customers than the people on the front lines.
Best of luck.

(To clarify, my kobo is a wifi, not a touch.)
Advert
Old 02-14-2014, 05:52 AM   #33
nowzen
nowzen began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wifi
I have a model N647B Kobo Wifi and appeared bricked by an update could I please get a copy of the firmware image.
, Thanks
Old 02-14-2014, 05:55 AM   #34
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
nowzen: PM Sent
Old 02-14-2014, 07:01 AM   #35
sergeyuskach
sergeyuskach began at the beginning.

Device: k0bo
Kobo SD image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
What do you mean by "Kobo-wifi 18"? I have an image for the Kobo WiFi, but don't know if it is an "18" or not, or even what that is.
Hi ,
I mean kobo 2 or the one with pad in the right lowwer corner.
I was able to read runnsin books I have but I accidentally reset my KOB , fw was updated and I cannot read this books any more,. I want to go back to the older fw.
I am sorry , I mean version of 1.8. I am on 1.9 now but I could not read books which I was reading.
Thanks
Advert
Old 02-14-2014, 07:06 PM   #36
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, you want an image for the Kobo WiFi that has a version 1.8.x firmware on it. The image I have is for a 1.9.x firmware.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:13 PM   #37
niagara3400
niagara3400 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo N647
Hi Davidfor,
I'm in need of the 1.9.11 image if possible.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:48 PM   #38
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

niagara3400: PM sent. Also, I am not completely sure what version the image has. But, I am fairly sure it is not 1.9.11. It should be for whatever version the factory reset firmware was on the actual device the image came from.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:52 AM   #39
jiggy.jay
jiggy.jay began at the beginning.

Device: n647b
hi Davidfor,
I have the kobo N647B Wifi and bricked since an update, could I please get a copy of the sd firmware image.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-10-2014, 08:28 AM   #40
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

jiggy.jay: PM sent.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #41
jjmcousineau
jjmcousineau began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo WiFi
Me too please, davidfor. Thank you very much
Old 03-10-2014, 07:14 PM   #42
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:58 PM   #43
Tekbro
Tekbro began at the beginning.

Device: Kobowifi N647
Good Luck to everyone with reloading your Kobo Wifi image. My experience has been that it works for about for about a month (or two books). I haven't found a way to download my Kobo Library books or really use the Kobo without reconnecting to the Kobo Store once the eReader reboots with the new image. With my Kobo Wifi at least htis means that the "critical software update" to 1.9.11 gets applied. From that point on the machine starts to slightly misbehave (e.g.: the Goto feature has a considerable offset, especially for chapters, which varies by book. When shutting off sometimes it still displays the current page instead of the book cover and following this, it has lost the bookmark. The third even is that after a while it starts to display an animated downwards pointing arrow at the upper right corner of the screen). This last item signifies the beginning of the end and within a few the KOBOeReader folder gets wiped out of all contents and the Kobo sees no books any more. I have tried restoring only this partition, but even when all the books an database files are in there, the eReader cannot see any books which suggest the firmware partitions are also damaged. Kobo Wifi Firmware 1.9.11 turns out to be the ultimate malware for my eReader. After a couple months of this and unable to prevent this firmware from installing on my machine I gave up and got a new Kobo Touch instead.

My older Kobo Wifi will remain a "Science Project" I cannot depend on for regular reading or traveling with. I just wish Kobo users were given a choice to install or not software updates instead of being limited to acknowledge the update message.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:23 PM   #44
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

The new Touch should be a much better experience than the WiFi. But, in case you want to play...

To block the firmware download, there are a couple of things you can try:

- Use the desktop application. It will still download the update, but you can delete the files from the device before disconnecting. You should be able to use the desktop app to get the Kobo books onto the device.

- You can also do this after an update over WiFi. This isn't as useful with the current devices and firmware because the download the update first, and don't do the sync. I don't know if the older firmware did it differently.

- Edit the file "version" on the device. This includes the version number. From memory, changing this to a higher number would stop the update in earlier versions of the Touch firmware. It might work on the WiFi.

I don't know if the rest of it is firmware or hardware. Did you use a new SD card when you restored the image? A failing card might explain some it.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:42 PM   #45
BryanK
Connoisseur
BryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo HD
Has anybody actually gotten the 1.9.11 update to work? I know we generally only hear about the failure cases, but there seem to be a good deal more than usual this time. I'd like to connect my reader to Kobo and actually buy some books, but if that's just going to brick my device, I'll continue to sideload books from other sources.
Closed Thread

Tags
image, kobo, kobo wifi, sd card, wifi