Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 06-02-2017, 06:28 AM   #2746
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrahimpak View Post
Thanks, but I have already tried it. It will start on Nickle each time.
With the default configuration, after powering on the device you have 20 seconds or so to select a menu entry. If you do not select anything, KSM will launch nickel. Did you per chance change the configuration to the effect that nickel is started earlier? Or maybe you do not look at your reader for the first 30 seconds or so when you power it on?

Last edited by tshering; 06-02-2017 at 06:32 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:21 PM   #2747
ebrahimpak
Zealot
ebrahimpak began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD / Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
With the default configuration, after powering on the device you have 20 seconds or so to select a menu entry. If you do not select anything, KSM will launch nickel. Did you per chance change the configuration to the effect that nickel is started earlier? Or maybe you do not look at your reader for the first 30 seconds or so when you power it on?
Thanks for the tip. But I just changed the KSM's behavior so it'll be up on each start. Technically I don't use Nickle at all, except for synchronizing Kreader's natural light with it! (so far it's the best it can do) It has solved my problem. But I hope the dear developers equip Koreader with the Natural Light option very soon...X
ebrahimpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2017, 08:30 PM   #2748
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
I installed Koreader on my original Aura running FW 3.19.5761. Everything seemed to be fine until I tried to open a DRM free Japanese kepub. And then it just seemed to freeze.

There was a notice saying that it was opening the book, but it never seemed to get around to doing so. And the screen was unresponsive.

Finally had to find a safety pin to do a soft reset. That worked and the device was fine.

Went back into Koreader tried opening an English DRM free kepub. No problem. Tried opening a Chinese epub. No problem. Loaded a Japanese epub, and it immediately froze again when it tried to open it. Necessitating another soft reset courtesy of the safety pin.

Both the Japanese kepub and the Japanese epub were relatively large files. About 12mb and 21 mb, respectively. The text of both was vertically aligned.

Not sure what the problem was. Any thoughts?
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:45 AM   #2749
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
This might be the problem.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:28 AM   #2750
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Not sure what the problem was. Any thoughts?
The thought is to read kepub using the software that comes with the Kobo Reader. kepub is not meant to be read with KOReader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2017, 11:31 AM   #2751
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The thought is to read kepub using the software that comes with the Kobo Reader. kepub is not meant to be read with KOReader.
Yes, I initially thought that might be the problem. So,as I mentioned in my earlier post, I thereupon tried an English language kepub and Koreader had no problem opening it. So it didn't seem to be the kepub format that was messing things up.

Indeed, as I also mentioned in that post, I then attempted to open a Japanese EPUB. It seemed to freeze and the screen became unresponsive, necessitating a second soft reset.

As Koreader had no problem opening a Chinese epub, it couldn't have been a problem with Chinese characters. However, the Chinese text had a horizontal alignment whereas the Japanese text had a vertical alignment.

That led me to wonder whether the problem was with Japanese, the vertical alignment of the text or the size of the file...

It turns out that the issue was likely caused by the vertical alignment of the text. It also turns out that the ereader wasn't "frozen". It just took about 6 minutes to open the book, rendering it into a horizontal alignment.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:37 AM   #2752
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Thanks for that. After viewing that discussion, I tried again with the Japanes kepub, just leaving it be to see what would happen...

It took about 6 minutes to open the book and it had realigned the text horizontally. Unfortunately, it had not done so as nicely as in the example posted. Instead, I had numerous lines with just a single character in them.

Needless, to say, I will save my reading in Japanese for the nickel software unless I can find some way to convert vertically aligned Japanese texts to a horizontal alignment using Calibre.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:20 AM   #2753
ebrahimpak
Zealot

Hey everybody,

Recently I cannot open the Aura1's disk in the windows explorer when I enable USB in KSM. It'll be opened only thru the Nickle!

Any suggestions?
Old 06-05-2017, 09:36 AM   #2754
ebrahimpak
Zealot

I forgot to add: everything was fine before that!
Old 06-05-2017, 11:31 AM   #2755
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
You might ask in the KSM8 thread at the "Kobo Developer's Corner".

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:03 PM   #2756
ebrahimpak
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
You might ask in the KSM8 thread at the "Kobo Developer's Corner".

Luck;
Ken
I solved it. Thanks though.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:05 AM   #2757
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
How did you solve it in case someone lands here through a search?
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:21 AM   #2758
ebrahimpak
Zealot

Koreader's Top Menu is Gone in KA1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
How did you solve it in case someone lands here through a search?
Sadly the solution was not an easy one! I had to factory reset the Nickle and install everything from scratch, including KSM v8 + its extra A1 patch, and Koreader (all the latest versions except the latter one). The worst part was to find a version of Koreader which does not mess up with KA1, as you may know many nightly builds would cause the strange disappearance of the Koreader's top menu! Unfortunately the latest builds have many many bugs and their installation would lead to many unexpected complications. So, now that I broached the subject again, it'd be nice to hear from the experts that where is that famous top menu in the recent versions?! I am talking about A1, the HD seems to be working perfect with many of them.

BTW, the one I installed and am using now, shows the correct time only when the WiFi is on. In the offline mode the shown time is wrong. But really it is not something to nag about comparing to the above-mentioned bug.

Best,
Abe

Last edited by ebrahimpak; 06-06-2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:15 PM   #2759
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
as you may know many nightly builds would cause the strange disappearance of the Koreader's top menu!
Do you by any chance mean that menu (or top menu, how I guess you call it) is now accessed by swiping from top of the screen downwards (similar to Android phones), instead just tapping in the middle of uppermost part of screen?

Or are you suggesting something completely else?

BTW, swiping is described in quick instructions that you now get with latest koreader versions. Just in case people miss it.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:18 PM   #2760
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
BTW, the one I installed and am using now, shows the correct time only when the WiFi is on. In the offline mode the shown time is wrong. But really it is not something to nag about comparing to the above-mentioned bug.
Just an idea, maybe system time needs to be synced with hardware clock.

I had similar problem, after reboot I had "missing" three minutes. Only lately I found out that Kobos have system and hardware clock and that system time is erased and read from hardware clock every reboot (or power on/off cycle).
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote