Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 11-30-2017, 12:36 PM   #1
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
CC crashing [how many books can I have?]

I had just been showing a friend CC the other day and bragging about having 8500 books on there, showing her the beautiful bookcase grid view and recounting my sob story about deleting my calibre libraries when afterword I was walking through the hall appreciating the aesthetic and everything when it occurred it was responding kinda jerky. I guess I haven't really used it a lot since I have been so focused on my library but I find if I scroll through a number of pages and then select something, CC just disappears. If I just keep on scrolling it will do the same thing. It *does* work better when I browse using less demanding methods, like search and filters.

It makes sense. After all, it is a lot of data to be managed by a phone, even an iPhone 7+. How many books do you think I can sanely store in CC? I imagine it has something to do with the RAM. iPhones supposedly make better use of RAM than Android, but if I had something like a 6 GB Android phone would that help? For now I will make more use of virtual libraries, filters and search and not joy scroll through hundreds of books.

What are your experiences with large libraries and tricks you have used to make it work? How does this work out on those Android based e-ink devices?
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:17 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Yes, it will be memory dependent. For performance reasons, CC must keep enough information about each book in memory to be able to quickly fetch what to display. That information will depend on grouping and the like. Success is also dependent on how well the iOS memory garbage collection behaves. I am not convinced the iOS is better than Android in this regard.

For Android I have numbers. Over the last month (1 Nov - today), we have seen the following logged events
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	160303

We see that at least one person has a library of more than 48,000 books. CC has started 81 times on different devices with an average library size of 24,544 books. And so on.

Note: "Unique devices" is really "unique CC instances". Because we don't keep any serial numbers, IP addresses, or other unique personally identifiableinformation, a device appears to be new every time it reboots or every time CC is force-stopped.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 03:06 AM   #3
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
I guess my use fits in the top 5% of those who share statistics. Is there a way to predict stability at certain library sizes to figure out a the limits of a particular device? Also, having multiple formats of the same book, whether or not one 'merged' those records within calibre would also hurt performance, right?

What are your experiences with large libraries and tricks you have used to make it work? How well does CC handle large libraries on your Android based e-ink devices?

Thanks,
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:23 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza_Cant_Read View Post
I guess my use fits in the top 5% of those who share statistics. Is there a way to predict stability at certain library sizes to figure out a the limits of a particular device? Also, having multiple formats of the same book, whether or not one 'merged' those records within calibre would also hurt performance, right?
I don't know of any accurate measure to predict when CC will run out of resources. Clearly the number of books/formats matters, but so does the cover thumbnail size, the number of columns in the grouping drawer, the number of books displayed in list or grid view, speed of the processor, how memory is configured, the version of Android, and the like.
Quote:
What are your experiences with large libraries and tricks you have used to make it work? How well does CC handle large libraries on your Android based e-ink devices?

Thanks,
I don't have large libraries on my devices because I have no need. My master library is available 24/7 via the cloud and via a content server running on a VPS. I have 300 books on my e-ink device.

Do note that Android e-ink readers tend not to have a lot of memory. They will hit a limit before any newer phone.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:16 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza_Cant_Read View Post
My eink device handles my 11,000+ library without issue. Then again I leave all but a couple hundred in the cloud. That is, I have my entire library in Dropbox and can access them from my device whenever I wish through CC and a wireless connection.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:25 AM   #6
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Since I travel full time, no cloud - not enough data a month (and I don't always have cloud availability), I have to use my wifi hot spot. One thing I've noticed is that cc takes a really long time connecting via wifi to Calibre - I have over 2000 books on my Android tablet. I know it is cc instead of Calibre since I tried a new Calibre library containing just the 5 or so books I want to transfer and it still takes a very long time. Usually just I start the connection and then go make coffee. Currently I'm attempting to delete a bunch off my tablet to see if that will help.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:32 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Since I travel full time, no cloud - not enough data a month (and I don't always have cloud availability), I have to use my wifi hot spot. One thing I've noticed is that cc takes a really long time connecting via wifi to Calibre - I have over 2000 books on my Android tablet. I know it is cc instead of Calibre since I tried a new Calibre library containing just the 5 or so books I want to transfer and it still takes a very long time. Usually just I start the connection and then go make coffee. Currently I'm attempting to delete a bunch off my tablet to see if that will help.
Try this, Click on the menu button, select Settings, then select Connecting to calibre, then select Wireless device connection, then uncheck "Scan on connect" (it is checked by default).

Now that you've done this connect to calibre as a Wireless Device.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:25 PM   #8
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Try this, Click on the menu button, select Settings, then select Connecting to calibre, then select Wireless device connection, then uncheck "Scan on connect" (it is checked by default).

Now that you've done this connect to calibre as a Wireless Device.
Thanks so much. I could have sworn that I had that unchecked!
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote