Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 08-31-2009, 03:15 AM   #1
PinkTissue
PinkTissue has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Hanlin V3
New Cover and Battery Problem

It has been a few months since I bought my Hanlin V3. I gave it another new 'wrap' since I am sick of my old wrap.

I wished hanlin v3 is 'better made'. The printing on the arrow button is almost gone now.

I am also facing the problem of battery drain. At first, I though it is because of my reading habit. I read a lot and very quickly. In fact, one small annoying part of hanlin v3 that it slowed down my reading speed (I read really, really fast - I got thrown out of the speed reading class for reading too quickly). The pages just could not turn fast enough for me and I am resigned to always have a safety pin at hand as I sometimes jammed the arrow button pressing it too quickly.

The battery could not last more than 1 day (on a good day, I could read close to 3000 pages). In the end, it turned out that the battery is spoilt and has to be replaced. It is just lucky that I opened up the casing to check on the battery, the middle part of the battery is bulging and it is a matter of time before the whole battery explodes. Crossing my fingers - I hoped this time my new battery would last longer.

To handle my reading habit, I always have with me a battery pack which is a life saver since I hate to recharge my ebook in the midst of reading a novel.

Through trial and error, I find that for English documents, I would prefer it to be in word document, font 20. However, there is this small problem that the hanlin v3 is unable to handle any word document that is more than 1.2MB (the magic number) so I have to spilt my novel into 2 parts. If possible, i would prefer the English novels to be read in txt form as it is able to handle txt files even if it is more than 1.2MB but there is a 50% chance where some of the alphabets and punctuation being messed up (appearing as Chinese characters instead).

For Chinese novels, I would prefer it to be in txt form as hanlin v3 is able to handle them better.....the 'largest' novel in txt form the hanlin v3 is currently is around 2873 pages.

It is to my great joy to discover that the hanlin v3 is able to read the 16GB SD card. I have currently at hand.....taking a deep breath, 3,594 novels inside my SD card (around 2 GB)....and wail......this constitutes less than 25% of my e-library and I still have another 75% that I have to convert and move to my SD card.

I am really looking forward to having a A4 size hanlin reader so that I could migrate my entire Japanese comic collection into my SD card.

Last edited by PinkTissue; 08-31-2009 at 03:17 AM.
PinkTissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
Khelbiros
Khelbiros is on a distinguished road

Device: Hanlin v5, Stanza
I'm waiting for my Hanlin v5 to arrive, so I read your post with great interest. At the moment, the H5 is the cheapest ereader I could find in Australia without getting it shipped in from overseas.

I've only got about thirty ebooks on my hard drive, but hopefully I'll get a chance to read them now when my gadget arrives. I'll definately accumulate more. I'm in Australia, so it's tricky to get the latest ebooks to read, due to irritating geographic rights restrictions. I don't which formats will work best on the v5, so I'll play around and see what happens. Calibre appears to be able to do conversions nicely once I work out what the best reading format is.

Is the Hanlin line the most popular ereader for Chinese readers? And how do you get those new wraps on it?
Khelbiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 10:59 PM   #3
allen
allen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hanlin is the most famous brand in China
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:15 AM   #4
allen
allen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkTissue View Post
I wished hanlin v3 is 'better made'. The printing on the arrow button is almost gone now..
May be it's the matter of using new wrap.

Quote:
I hoped this time my new battery would last longer.
I think that the time of using battery is too long. It would be OK after you change it.

Quote:
I read a lot and very quickly. In fact, one small annoying part of hanlin v3 that it slowed down my reading speed (I read really, really fast - I got thrown out of the speed reading class for reading too quickly). The pages just could not turn fast enough for me and I am resigned to always have a safety pin at hand as I sometimes jammed the arrow button pressing it too quickly.
There will be a process to paging in the back stage when you are reading books. If the page turning is too fast,the paging can't be handled quickly.it will cause to crumple or low speed. It will be OK if you read by normal speed.

Quote:
Through trial and error, I find that for English documents, I would prefer it to be in word document, font 20. However, there is this small problem that the hanlin v3 is unable to handle any word document that is more than 1.2MB (the magic number) so I have to spilt my novel into 2 parts. If possible, i would prefer the English novels to be read in txt form as it is able to handle txt files even if it is more than 1.2MB but there is a 50% chance where some of the alphabets and punctuation being messed up (appearing as Chinese characters instead). For Chinese novels, I would prefer it to be in txt form as hanlin v3 is able to handle them better.....the 'largest' novel in txt form the hanlin v3 is currently is around 2873 pages..
When you convert .doc format to .txt format,may be there will have some fonts' effect can't be reflect. For the huge .doc format file,could you kindly send me a .doc format file to me,my email address is allenjinmao@gmail.com ,Thanks~!

Last edited by allen; 09-02-2009 at 02:17 AM.
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:54 AM   #5
PinkTissue
PinkTissue has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Hanlin V3
Khelbiros - the most popular ebook reader (I think) is the Sony ebook reader. Some enterprising people have hacked into the reader to enable it to read Chinese novels.

Allen - have sent the file to you.
PinkTissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2009, 06:10 AM   #6
UchihaNaru
Connoisseur
UchihaNaru is on a distinguished road

Device: Astak Pocket Pro
wow did you make the skin yourself? i would like to customise one too.. but have no idea how to go about doing it (e.g. material)
UchihaNaru is offline   Reply With Quote