Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-19-2009, 12:54 AM   #1
p3aul
Captain Courageous
p3aul doesn't litterp3aul doesn't litter

Device: calibre, PRS 505
Wink detecting author and book cover problem

I had this info once but I've lost it. In HTML you can make a comment line that causes html2lrf for instance to detect the author of the book.

How can I cause the book cover(specified in "meta-data"
) to be transferred over to the sdcard in PRS505? I convert a book from a txt file and specify the book-cover when I edit the meta-data but when I transfer the book to my reader, the cover doesn't show up.
Thanks,
Paul
p3aul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:14 PM   #2
p3aul
Captain Courageous

hmmm. just wondered if anybody is going to answer this. I've had 77 views, but not a single answer!
Advert
Old 06-20-2009, 11:24 PM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
You're converting to LRF? I don't know why it wouldn't work.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:37 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The format is like this

<!-- AUTHOR="whatever" -->
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:34 PM   #5
p3aul
Captain Courageous

Quote:
How can I cause the book cover(specified in "meta-data"
) to be transferred over to the sdcard in PRS505? I convert a book from a txt file and specify the book-cover when I edit the meta-data but when I transfer the book to my reader, the cover doesn't show up.
Thanks, koval for the reply(again) What about the problem quoted above. I really like to convert using text files but i'd like a book cover too. Also is there anyway you add the ability to detect the author using a text-file input? something like the <!--author="XX"--> would do, since the combination of characters is not likely to come up in the middle of a book.
Thanks,
Paul
Advert
Old 06-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not sure why you need that functionality. just store the metadata in calibre and it will be used when you convert the TXT file to whatever format you need for your reader.

As for covers, you typically have to convert the book to LRF/EPUB/MOBI to ensure the cover shows up
Old 06-21-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
p3aul
Captain Courageous

Right! I do convert to LRF and then edit the metadata to show the cover I want, but for some reason the cover is not transferring. also in .5.14 if I use the commandline command txt2epub I get the error that there is no command txt2epub. Now i can't remember for sure, but I believe this worked in earlier versions.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:17 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You need to edit the cover first and then convert to have the cover show up. Use any2epub not txt2epub
Old 06-21-2009, 08:09 PM   #9
p3aul
Captain Courageous

Gottcha on the any2epub, I think thats what I was using, not txt2epub!

However, I don't understand what you mean by "edit" the Cover. Do you mean convert it to a specific format, like gif or jpg, or just to select the cover in the metadata dialog?
Paul
Old 06-21-2009, 08:20 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Just set the cover in the edit metadata dialog, then convert and the converted file will have the right cover.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:11 AM   #11
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
He said he's specifying the cover in the metadata but it's not transferring over. Maybe something specific with txt files?
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:39 AM   #12
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I thought he said that he was specifying the cover AFTER converting. That would explain why it was not transfering over as it is added to the .LRF file during the conversion.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:12 AM   #13
p3aul
Captain Courageous

I *am* specifying the cover after converting. I convert the text file using any2epub. I don't convert in the GUI. I tried that when i first got Calibre and it was too slow and hanging sometimes. Kovid suggested I use the Command line and I've done that ever since with no problems. I was using RTF and HTML as input though.

Now when I convert the file first in the command line and then import it into Calibre. I have to change the title and author though because it's not detected automatically. I then specify the cover by browsing to it on my harddrive. When I transfer the book over to my 505 the cover doesn't come with it although it shows in Calibre.

I have the same problem whether I convert to epub or lrf

Last edited by p3aul; 06-24-2009 at 01:13 AM. Reason: clarify
Old 06-24-2009, 02:04 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

If you're using the command line, use the --cover option to set the cover
Old 06-24-2009, 02:58 AM   #15
p3aul
Captain Courageous

Ahhh! Ok Kovid, I see what your saying! I didn't realise that the cover became part of the file! This makes sense! You know, you don't realize the depth your program has until you start trying out different things you want it to do.
Paul