Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-04-2017, 10:45 AM   #31
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
update: overdrive help finally got back to me. I told them I had fixed my libby checkout & sync issue across a;ll my devices but that I want to know when /if I consented to having my borrowing i and reading behaviour stored in thoir cloud. and that I want to file a Subject Access request as per this.
( then I can safely borrow" how to build a nuclear device using everyday kitchen ingredients" and other interesting books
SO I sent "please advise how to invoke my right to make a subject access request to Overdrive
"You have the right to get a copy of the information that is held about you. This is known as a subject access request. This right of subject access means that you can make a request under the Data Protection Act to any organisation processing your personal data....." https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/personal-information/
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:36 PM   #32
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
update: overdrive help finally got back to me. I told them I had fixed my libby checkout & sync issue across a;ll my devices but that I want to know when /if I consented to having my borrowing i and reading behaviour stored in thoir cloud. and that I want to file a Subject Access request as per this.
( then I can safely borrow" how to build a nuclear device using everyday kitchen ingredients" and other interesting books
I'm curious, how do you expect them to run Overdrive, an on-line book lending system, without recording what books you have borrowed? Isn't that implicit in the agreement to use the system?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2017, 01:01 AM   #33
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I'm curious, how do you expect them to run Overdrive, an on-line book lending system, without recording what books you have borrowed? Isn't that implicit in the agreement to use the system?
i expect them to operate a cloud , yes, but openly
i also expect them to disclose what counrtry it resides in, thus what laws it operates under, who has access to the data, and to provide access for me to review MY data
i do , after all ,in UK law, have a right to that, I feel like exercising it, on principle. I don't want my reading profile sold to 3rd party advertisers, or scanned by over zealous govt agencies,
Old 12-07-2017, 12:42 AM   #34
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
i expect them to operate a cloud , yes, but openly
i also expect them to disclose what counrtry it resides in, thus what laws it operates under, who has access to the data, and to provide access for me to review MY data
i do , after all ,in UK law, have a right to that, I feel like exercising it, on principle. I don't want my reading profile sold to 3rd party advertisers, or scanned by over zealous govt agencies,
Interesting. Oddly, that is one of the reasons suggested as to why that Kobo does not sync sideloaded content as under Canadian law, they would be required to allow the user to access their information. Of course, both the UK and Canada allow "reasonable fees" for such access.

As to where Overdrive stores their cloud data? Most likely still the US though they are now owned by a Japanese company. Your rights under UK law might be hard to enforce when the data does not reside on a server in the UK. You may remember the kerfuffle when Microsoft refused a court order in the USA to hand over data residing on a server in Ireland. Basically ended up with Microsoft winning their case so forcing the US government to go through the correct international channels to try to gain access to that data.

As for having your data scanned by over-zealous govt. agencies? I seem to have gained the impression from various news stories that the UK was among the world leaders in that area. Even the Data Protection Act and Freedom of Information Act allow national security as a reason to access data with no limitations or need to let the person know their data is being accessed and allows crime and taxation to freely access information though for those two purposes, eventually they need to inform the person whose data they are accessing -- likely in the form of "You are under arrest". Compare the EU Data Protection Directive to the UK Data Protection Act for some interesting changes.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:14 AM   #35
stumped
Wizard

overdrive did reply saying we look after your data really carefuly and do not share it with anyone. that was all they answered.
I think I will leave it be for now, having aired my concerns

FYI. when iI first did e- book borrowing from my library [ via the ADE on PC rigmarole ]I recall complaining to overdrive because there was NO available borrowing history & I wanted to avoid borrowing the same book twice - & overdrive& my library both said sorry - we don't store that stuff - can't help you.....maybe I am just hard to please

& I'll just not borrow anything with bombs for dummies or 101 easy ways to recruit Jihadis on social media in the titles

Last edited by stumped; 12-07-2017 at 01:16 AM.
Advert
Old 12-07-2017, 01:46 AM   #36
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
FYI. when iI first did e- book borrowing from my library [ via the ADE on PC rigmarole ]I recall complaining to overdrive because there was NO available borrowing history & I wanted to avoid borrowing the same book twice - & overdrive& my library both said sorry - we don't store that stuff - can't help you.....maybe I am just hard to please
The local library policy is yes, we know what you borrowed and anyone else who wants to see it needs a court order.

Quote:
& I'll just not borrow anything with bombs for dummies or 101 easy ways to recruit Jihadis on social media in the titles
Steal This Book? The Anarchist Cookbook? Back in my youth, I read a few books on explosive and drug making and the major lesson I took from them was that anyone who tried to follow their recipes would end up splattered over the surviving portions of the walls, ceiling and floor.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote