Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-19-2017, 10:20 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Amazon Releases New Fire HD 10 (2017) Tablet

Introducing the All-New Amazon Fire HD 10: 1080p Full HD Display, Faster Performance, Longer Battery Life, and Alexa Hands-Free—now only $149.99

$149.99 -- Fire HD 10 (7th Gen) --> will be released 11 Oct 2017

Quote:
Featuring a brilliant 10.1” 1080p Full HD display with over 2 million pixels, stereo speakers with Dolby Audio, and 32GB of internal storage with support for up to 256GB more via microSD—the all-new Fire HD 10 is designed from the ground up for entertainment

Now 30% faster with 2x the RAM and an ultra-fast quad-core processor, plus up to 10 hours of battery life so you can enjoy all your favorite movies, TV shows, books, games, songs, and more

Introducing Alexa hands-free for the first time on a Fire tablet—simply ask Alexa to play or pause a video, set a timer, play a song, dim the lights, open your calendar, or show your smart home security camera—using just your voice
Quote:
SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sep. 19, 2017-- (NASDAQ: AMZN)—Amazon today announced the all-new Fire HD 10, the next-generation of Amazon’s largest tablet, now with a brilliant 10.1” widescreen 1080p Full HD display with over 2 million pixels. The new Fire HD 10 is 30% faster with 2x the RAM and an ultra-fast quad-core processor, plus 32GB internal storage and up to 10 hours of battery life—now only $149.99. Fire HD 10 also introduces Alexa hands-free for the first time on a Fire tablet—just ask Alexa to play or pause a video, find music, dim the lights, set a timer, show your calendar, and more, simply by using your voice. The all-new Fire HD 10 is available for pre-order starting today.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 09-19-2017 at 10:48 AM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:01 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'd be all over that if the apps on the Fire platform didn't run so far behind the ones in the Google Play store (or not be available at all). I still might be in at $150 regardless. We'll see. I'm assuming that price will be the ad-enabled version.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2017, 11:12 AM   #3
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I am not sure it is as nice as the third generation Fire I still use religiously.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:13 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'd be all over that if the apps on the Fire platform didn't run so far behind the ones in the Google Play store (or not be available at all). I still might be in at $150 regardless. We'll see. I'm assuming that price will be the ad-enabled version.
It's really easy to install the Google Play Store. I've done it to my 4th and 5th gen Fires.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:19 AM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
It's really easy to install the Google Play Store. I've done it to my 4th and 5th gen Fires.
You're still saddled with Fire OS/Fire launcher (which you can't replace since the advent of Alexa, as far as I know).

Of course I realize for some people Fire OS is a feature rather than a bug.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2017, 11:21 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Good to know. I'm obviously out of touch; as it was a bit of a project on the original HD7s if I recall.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:26 AM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Good to know. I'm obviously out of touch; as it was a bit of a project on the original HD7s if I recall.
I think it's still a bit of a project. I could do it. My mother probably couldn't. Of course, the 'my mothers' out there likely wouldn't know or care that the tablet didn't have the Google Play store in the first place, unless they replied on Google calendar or watched a lot of YouTube.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:37 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I have no doubt I'm capable. I've just lost nearly all interest I once had in rooting/modding devices beyond their original capabilities. I just want to use them.

I just preordered the non-ad version for $164.99. My Nexus 7 is getting tired. I'll probably relegate it to a reading/traveling-only device and use the new one for entertainment/automation purposes. First Amazon device in a long, long while.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:51 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I have no doubt I'm capable. I've just lost nearly all interest I once had in rooting/modding devices beyond their original capabilities. I just want to use them.

I just preordered the non-ad version for $164.99. My Nexus 7 is getting tired. I'll probably relegate it to a reading/traveling-only device and use the new one for entertainment/automation purposes. First Amazon device in a long, long while.
See here for easy installation (no rooting involved).
Old 09-19-2017, 11:54 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
You're still saddled with Fire OS/Fire launcher (which you can't replace since the advent of Alexa, as far as I know).

I don't care about the OS or launcher. I'm more interested in getting apps not available at Amazon and newer versions of those that are available.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:06 PM   #11
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

I hate Fire OS too so I installed Nova launcher. You can't get to it from pressing the home button, but I make it the first icon on the Amazon homepage in case I hit the stupid home button. If you opened an app from Nova launcher you can just hit the back button to return to it. If Amazon would just let you arrange the icons in alphabetical order it wouldn't be so bad. You can also put all the Amazon crap you don't want to use in folders that makes it easier too.

I also use Power Toggles and put the Nova icon on the notification panel so I can access it quickly when I need to. I also put the wifi icon there so I can turn wifi on easily. If you use the wifi icon Amazon puts on the notification panel it takes you to settings rather than simply turning it on.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:10 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I just have to trust apks downloaded from unofficial sources. But thanks for the info.

I am pretty heavily invested in Google Calendar (for both my personal and my work schedule). Didn't really think about that angle. We'll see how it plays out.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:11 PM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I hate Fire OS too so I installed Nova launcher. You can't get to it from pressing the home button, but I make it the first icon on the Amazon homepage in case I hit the stupid home button. If you opened an app from Nova launcher you can just hit the back button to return to it. If Amazon would just let you arrange the icons in alphabetical order it wouldn't be so bad. You can also put all the Amazon crap you don't want to use in folders that makes it easier too.

I also use Power Toggles and put the Nova icon on the notification panel so I can access it quickly when I need to. I also put the wifi icon there so I can turn wifi on easily. If you use the wifi icon Amazon puts on the notification panel it takes you to settings rather than simply turning it on.
I haven't tried to change the launcher on my Fire tablet in a while, but from what I remember, the way you switched launchers was to hold down the Home button. But holding down the Home button now just launches Alexa.

My details might be off. It's been a while. I just remember giving up in the end.

I'm not looking for a new tablet anyway, and if I were the Lenovo Tab2/3/4 Plus are pretty much identical to the new Fire and priced at $200.00. The extra fifty (thirty really, once ads come in to play) would be worth it to me.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 09-19-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:11 PM   #14
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
I was just about to post this.

I just want to add that Total Commander is not available anymore for Fire devices, but any file manager will work. Some people also can't get the unknown sources to stick unless they reboot right after turning it on.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:17 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I'm sure it will work fine for the fairly cheap, couch-surfing, Alexa-enabled, multimedia-device I plan to use it for.