Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-18-2019, 11:04 PM   #301
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
The Windup Girl - Paolo Bacigalupi (Very good book)
angkok struggling for survival in a post-oil era of rising sea levels and out-of-control mutation. Capt. Jaidee Rojjanasukchai of the Thai Environment Ministry fights desperately to protect his beloved nation from foreign influences. Factory manager Anderson Lake covertly searches for new and useful mutations for a hated Western agribusiness. Aging Chinese immigrant Tan Hock Seng lives by his wits while looking for one last score. Emiko, the titular despised but impossibly seductive product of Japanese genetic engineering, works in a brothel until she accidentally triggers a civil war.

Ship Breaker - Paolo Bacigalupi (Great book)
Nailer works light crew; his dirty, dangerous job is to crawl deep into the wrecks of the ancient oil tankers that line the beach, scavenging copper wire and turning it over to his crew boss. After a brutal hurricane passes over, Nailer and his friend Pima stumble upon the wreck of a luxurious clipper ship. It's filled with valuable goods—a "Lucky Strike" that could make them rich, if only they can find a safe way to cash it in. Amid the wreckage, a girl barely clings to life. If they help her, she tells them, she can show them a world of privilege that they have never known. But can they trust her? And if so, can they keep the girl safe from Nailer's drug-addicted father?

The Drowned Cities - Paolo Bacigalupi (Good as well) Companion to The Shipbreakers

I found all of these very good and different than a lot of the Sci Fi out there. This are novelas or small books.. But worth the read.

Last edited by Guns4Hire; 03-18-2019 at 11:08 PM.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:29 AM   #302
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHaze View Post
I'm going to bump this for a quick question. Are any of the hordes of endlessly pumped out indie sci-fi sold on Amazon worth reading? With the sheer amount of content being produced there must be some gems right?
Depends what sort of scifi you like. I'm better informed on the Fantasy end of things but there are some good ones out there. On the bottom line, samples are your friend.

I can recommend Time Shifters by Shanna Lauffey if you like time travel. I'm a little behind on space stuff at present.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:32 PM   #303
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
The Temeraire series by Naomi Novik is my top fantasy series.

Lois McMaster Bujold, The World of the Five Gods Series.

Megan Whalen Turner, The Queen's Thief series.

The Devil's West series by Laura Anne Gilman. Also her Vineart trilogy.

The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker.

The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison.

The Magicians series by Lev Grossman.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:54 AM   #304
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just mentioned in another thread that the Goblin Series by Jaq D. Hawkins is on sale in paperback for 30% off. http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?c...utorId=1256687

This is the best world building I've seen since Tolkien.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:19 AM   #305
pagepack
Zealot
pagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Aura One
I enjoyed 'The Last Policeman' trilogy by Ben H Winters.

Tricky one to categorize. Crime/mystery with an apocalyptic/dystopian/science fiction back ground.

The novels follow Hank Palace, a detective. While the Country dissolves around him since the discovery of 2011GV1, a 6.5km asteroid heading directly for earth, he valiantly attempts to carry on as 'normal', for a time anyway.

I starting reading the first book with no expectations and read all three (relatively short) in a week. Enjoyed the characters and the writing.

Last edited by pagepack; 04-30-2019 at 03:06 AM.
pagepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:01 PM   #306
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagepack View Post
I enjoyed 'The Last Policeman' trilogy by Ben H Winters.
Thanks for the tip. Those sound like books I would like. I just checked, and my library has them. I'll add them to my list!
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:59 AM   #307
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper

Alan Dean Foster has put out a couple of short story anthologies recently. I highly recommend both! Titles are The Taste of different Dimensions and The Flavors of Other Worlds. His writing is good but his concepts are brilliant! In case anyone isn't familiar with him, he's one of the old scifi greats.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:18 PM   #308
Justin Denial
Justin Denial began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite, PW2
Newbie here - Searched on Karen Traviss and didn't see her mentioned.
Very Excellent series of 1. Star Wars commando series, 2. Clone wars, 3. Gears of War (which became the xbox games) and pending reads 4. Wess'har series, and 5. Halo ( overdrive needs to acquire these first . I scored all these from my Library linked to Overdrive.
Now looking to create and manage sub-collections on my Kindle.
Justin Denial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:25 AM   #309
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Denial View Post
Newbie here - Searched on Karen Traviss and didn't see her mentioned.
Very Excellent series of 1. Star Wars commando series, 2. Clone wars, 3. Gears of War (which became the xbox games) and pending reads 4. Wess'har series, and 5. Halo ( overdrive needs to acquire these first . I scored all these from my Library linked to Overdrive.
Now looking to create and manage sub-collections on my Kindle.
I can recommend the Wess'har series. I remember liking it quite a bit.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:15 PM   #310
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I'm reading The Expanse series. I saw the first three seasons of the TV adaptation and am waiting the 4th, but in the meantime, I'm reading (and loving!) the books. On the third, now "Abbadon's Gate".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_...(novel_series)

Last edited by kyteflyer; 05-16-2019 at 09:19 PM.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:52 PM   #311
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I'm reading The Expanse series. I saw the first three seasons of the TV adaptation and am waiting the 4th, but in the meantime, I'm reading (and loving!) the books. On the third, now "Abbadon's Gate".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_...(novel_series)
The books are so good that I've been afraid to start watching the TV series, though I did post some minor quibbles with the latest book on another board:

Spoiler:
His (Duarte's) strategy did seem surprisingly risky. The neutron star gate looked like a trap but he didn't hesitate to spring it. For all he knew, it could have destroyed all the gates, not just 2 - actually very minimal damage for such a powerful trap. Even without the neutron star, he assumed his experiment would destroy whichever gate he used, that's why they were looking for a worthless gate. But why would he be confident that only that gate would be at risk?

The aliens exterminated the gate builders, possibly without even any deliberate provocation. Wouldn't it be logical to assume they would do the same to humans? Throw in the fact of his pseudo-immortality and it would make far more sense to consolidate his power before starting to poke the bear. But I don't suppose that would make for a very interesting story.

I'm on book 2 of the Rivers of London series and unimpressed so far, but others have said it gets better so I won't give up on it yet...
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote