Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-27-2017, 06:59 PM   #31
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Thanks Sydney's Mom for posting this problem!! Here I was getting ready to sell a bunch of DVDs & BR that I have on streaming! Not happening now
I have a pretty big collection of DVD & blu-ray disks of movies that I have no plans for getting rid of. Got to have something to do when Comcast has an outage!

I do have a pretty decent sized collection (getting close to 200) of digital movies that I bought via iTunes. Of course, I also downloaded all my digital movies and backed them up in a non DRM format so I can still watch them if something happens to iTunes. I didn't start buying digital movies from iTunes until I was able to do that.

From a true streaming point of view, I do have Netflix and have watched a lot on old series on that. I fully recognize that I'm paying a monthly fee for the right to watch whichever movies or TV shows they have under contract and that it's entirely possible that various movies and shows will get pulled from my to watch list before I get a chance to watch them.

I'm not really into binge watching. I think that a season is as much as I can sit down and watch of any one show without wanting to move on to something else.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:47 AM   #32
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
This whole can o (vanishing) worms is terrible. Probably why I still insist on buying hard media (CD, DVD, Bluray).
Those LP's and 45's I bought in High School, Open Reel Tapes bought when I wis in the Navy, Laser discs, CD, DVD's all still work (OK, I did lose a Laser to 'laser rot').
My paperbacks still are there in plastic totes in the store room.

The point is, it will be an 'Act of God', not the whim of business, that renders them unusable.
If you don't regular read or use them, they just take up your living space. So do take the time to purge now and then. I can't stand half the music I heard in high school, so no point in holding on to it now. The paperbacks are gone - early victims of my loss of vision which ereaders and audiobooks have fixed.

Yes, I too have quite a collection of DVDs and a few Blue Rays. Since it's just me and Mom, we have it down to what we like and what we will watch again. As you say, the Internet can go down and that happens occasionally. If only I could find The Closer with subtitles....

Last edited by Tarana; 07-28-2017 at 12:49 AM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:27 AM   #33
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
This whole can o (vanishing) worms is terrible. Probably why I still insist on buying hard media (CD, DVD, Bluray).
Those LP's and 45's I bought in High School, Open Reel Tapes bought when I wis in the Navy, Laser discs, CD, DVD's all still work (OK, I did lose a Laser to 'laser rot').
My paperbacks still are there in plastic totes in the store room.

The point is, it will be an 'Act of God', not the whim of business, that renders them unusable.
Please seek help for Hording....
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 04:34 AM   #34
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
Quote:
Ikea is quite good for cheap shelving
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:38 AM   #35
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Hey, I don't need any help for hording. I can horde just fine on my own.

There actually isn't anything particularly wrong with keeping stuff (aka hording). Mankind has had the impulse to collect and keep things for a long, long time.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:55 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Hey, I don't need any help for hording. I can horde just fine on my own.

There actually isn't anything particularly wrong with keeping stuff (aka hording). Mankind has had the impulse to collect and keep things for a long, long time.
I think most people reach a point, though, in middle age, at which they realise that it's about quality of life, rather than accumulating stuff, and start simplifying things again.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:04 AM   #37
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think most people reach a point, though, in middle age, at which they realise that it's about quality of life, rather than accumulating stuff, and start simplifying things again.
I've become absolutely ruthless in my penchant for throwing away "stuff" in my middle-age. And it's all "stuff."
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:04 AM   #38
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I've become absolutely ruthless in my penchant for throwing away "stuff" in my middle-age. And it's all "stuff."
You're doing it wrong

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:39 AM   #39
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
You're doing it wrong
Rubbermaid containers are "stuff," too. But they ARE a perfect vehicle for project "Throw Stuff Away." Makes me more efficient when I can also throw away the Stuff I'm using to carry the Stuff to the garbage can. If I could throw away entire rooms filled with Stuff filled with Stuff, I'd be ecstatic.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:41 AM   #40
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
My purging of "stuff" mostly consists of format-shifting and eliminating packaging (e.g., CD jewel cases). Additionally, as I go through books, music, and video, I am finding a lot of duplicates that can be ditched, especially video. I have hundreds of DVDs recorded from TV (movies and series); some I later bought commercial releases, others I recorded more than once.

I don't have anything in the cloud except whatever Amazon might automatically put there. I want my stuff accessible on my own devices at all times.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:12 AM   #41
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I don't really store stuff in the cloud either (though it doesn't really worry me to do so). It's not a physical vs digital (or remote vs local) thing with me. There's just very little I want to keep for long periods of time in that regard ... period. *shrug*

But of course @Sydney's Mom's case is entirely different. She bought something in advance and was disappointed to find it gone when she was ready to enjoy it. Which is understandable. I, on the other hand, rarely buy/rent anything that I'm not immediately ready to consume. I buy ebooks when I'm ready to read them, and I buy/rent movies/episodes when I'm ready to watch them.

Amazon doesn't really offer any sort of discount for buying the whole season vs buying each individual episode, so I just buy as I go. If I have to switch providers to get the whole season, so be it. I'll probably never watch them again until such time as somebody somewhere will be streaming them for free anyway.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:23 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I buy ebooks when I'm ready to read them, and I buy/rent movies/episodes when I'm ready to watch them.
I can't resist special offers, so I buy a lot of books in Amazon's "Kindle Daily Deals", or other deals pointed out by MR members. Many of these I don't read until years later (and many I still haven't read).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:01 AM   #43
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I can't resist special offers, so I buy a lot of books in Amazon's "Kindle Daily Deals", or other deals pointed out by MR members. Many of these I don't read until years later (and many I still haven't read).
I will very occasionally pick up on a special offer book. But I don't really want to own a lot of unread books, so I don't typically hang out in the places where "deals" are trumpeted. Every now and then, an author I follow on Twitter may announce a deal on one of their books that I'll pick up. But chances are very good that I'm going to read it immediately after I finish whatever I'm currently reading.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:05 AM   #44
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
But of course @Sydney's Mom's case is entirely different. She bought something in advance and was disappointed to find it gone when she was ready to enjoy it. Which is understandable. I, on the other hand, rarely buy/rent anything that I'm not immediately ready to consume. I buy ebooks when I'm ready to read them, and I buy/rent movies/episodes when I'm ready to watch them.

Amazon doesn't really offer any sort of discount for buying the whole season vs buying each individual episode, so I just buy as I go. If I have to switch providers to get the whole season, so be it. I'll probably never watch them again until such time as somebody somewhere will be streaming them for free anyway.
I have watched all of these before-originally bought them when I was ready to watch. Just rewatching, because binging Goliath for the 4th time while waiting for the new season is just sad.

Sometimes an entire season is cheaper. Once, I started buying a season, bought a ccouple episodes, and decided it would be cheaper to just buy the whole season. A few days later, I got an unprompted email from Amazon that, since I had bought the entire season, they were refunding the price for the two single episodes I had bought.

So Amazon usually does the right thing, this is just taking too long! Got another email last night-it usually takes 1-2 days, but they are still working on it. Here is $5 to try and appease you.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:20 AM   #45
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I have watched all of these before-originally bought them when I was ready to watch. Just rewatching, because binging Goliath for the 4th time while waiting for the new season is just sad.
I'm waiting for that, too. I'm just not much of a re-watcher/re-reader. And I typically need years to pass for that sort of recommitment the rare times that I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Sometimes an entire season is cheaper. Once, I started buying a season, bought a ccouple episodes, and decided it would be cheaper to just buy the whole season. A few days later, I got an unprompted email from Amazon that, since I had bought the entire season, they were refunding the price for the two single episodes I had bought.
I must be watching the wrong shows! The prices on the stuff I tend to buy always seems to be $1.99/$19.99 or $2.99/$29.99 for a ten episode season. I'm not biting on a 9 cent discount.