Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-09-2020, 05:15 PM   #1
handyguy
Connoisseur
handyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to behold

Device: PW4
Daylight Savings Time switch on PW4

Hi all,
Well, it's DST here in Alberta and my PW4 (unregistered) is now an hour behind. Is there a correct way to setup the clock (pulling time from ntpdate) so that the clock adjusts without manual setup, or must this be done manually 2x / year?
Thanks for the assistance!
handyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 05:27 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
My 2017 Oasis running 5.9.2 and in permanent airplane mode changed on its own.

Maybe your timezone is set as an offset from UT instead of some timezone with daylight wasting time.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2020, 05:29 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also ntpdate will not fix your timezone, so that will not help.
Old 03-09-2020, 06:12 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yup, what @j.p.s said .

You can probably fix the TZ symlink manually (might actually be a hard copy on Kindle, I can't recall).

IIRC, there's also a settz script, but *that* one might be doing UTC offsets instead of proper TZs, which won't help for DST.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:20 PM   #5
handyguy
Connoisseur
handyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to behold

My time zone (from date output) is MST.
Advert
Old 03-09-2020, 06:40 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyguy View Post
My time zone (from date output) is MST.
That is the output of date. you need to figure out what is getting read.

Somehow it thinks you are on MST all year. You might need to re-setup your device or figure out how to change your timezone in some standard unix way.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:32 PM   #7
handyguy
Connoisseur

i have tried changing date by a relative amount (the easiest):
Code:
date --set='+1 hour'
However, that generates an invalid date error
Old 03-09-2020, 07:38 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's still Linux: Update the /etc/localtime tz file manually .

(I think there's a TZ db in the usual place, but if push comes to shove, it should handle a modern TZ file from a Linux desktop just fine).
Old 03-09-2020, 07:38 PM   #9
handyguy
Connoisseur

/var/local/system/tz has MST
Old 03-09-2020, 07:41 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Then try updating /var/local/system/tz with one from a real Linux distro, see if it helps?
Old 03-09-2020, 08:30 PM   #11
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyguy View Post
/var/local/system/tz has MST
OK, I am now somewhere I can ssh to my Oasis

my /var/local/system/tz is a 2KB binary file.

On a debian compuer, tzselect shows for Canada:

Code:
1) Newfoundland; Labrador (southeast)  15) Central - NU (Resolute)
 2) Atlantic - NS (most areas); PE      16) Central - NU (central)
 3) Atlantic - NS (Cape Breton)         17) CST - SK (most areas)
 4) Atlantic - New Brunswick            18) CST - SK (midwest)
 5) Atlantic - Labrador (most areas)    19) Mountain - AB; BC (E); SK (W)
 6) AST - QC (Lower North Shore)        20) Mountain - NU (west)
 7) Eastern - ON, QC (most areas)       21) Mountain - NT (central)
 8) Eastern - ON, QC (no DST 1967-73)   22) Mountain - NT (west)
 9) Eastern - ON (Thunder Bay)          23) MST - BC (Creston)
10) Eastern - NU (most east areas)      24) MST - BC (Dawson Cr, Ft St John)
11) Eastern - NU (Pangnirtung)          25) MST - BC (Ft Nelson)
12) EST - ON (Atikokan); NU (Coral H)   26) Pacific - BC (most areas)
13) Central - ON (west); Manitoba       27) Pacific - Yukon (south)
14) Central - ON (Rainy R, Ft Frances)  28) Pacific - Yukon (north)
It looks like you need to use one of the strings from 19 to 22 not 23 - 25

Or just plain Mountain
Old 03-13-2020, 03:55 PM   #12
handyguy
Connoisseur

Thanks! That fixed it. I replaced the tz file in /var/local/system/ with the localtime file from my raspberry pi as recommended by NiLuJe.

Last edited by handyguy; 03-14-2020 at 11:13 AM.